Popular Tags: [View All]
ƒireƒly
United States
Millbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually funny that you mentioned Doom here because I was bored this morning around 5am or so and went back and read every chat that I was involved in

and then I thought to myself ...

"Damn, I really can be an asshole."

I still attribute my role to that, though.

It's like I was Jane from Firefly/Serenity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
I still get all warm and tingly when I think about Pegasus.

And I shot bwt in the face. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ƒireƒly
United States
Millbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raid1280 wrote:
Poolyxpop wrote:
It's actually funny that you mentioned Doom here because I was bored this morning around 5am or so and went back and read every chat that I was involved in

and then I thought to myself ...

"Damn, I really can be an asshole."

I still attribute my role to that, though.

It's like I was Jane from Firefly/Serenity.

Heh, I almost mentioned our chat just after I was outed as a 'potential' evil, and I found myself in a room with you....and was woefully underpowered.

I had a pistol. You had a machine gun and a chainsaw. Another situation I had to try and talk my way out of.

With a natural sharpshooter ability for extra damage pending my extra successes. =P haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The Computer is your Friend
mb
Coke vs Pepsi
Pretty sure that's my longest modchat ever.

Descent: Journey into the Darkness
I thought bwt did an excellent job with that game. I wrote combat orders that were absolutely insane and had a ton of fun doing it. I'm still proud of my Seige combat orders.

Return of TNG
As an evil, I was trying to convince everyone that by taking a certain action, we could all share a joint win tomorrow, but it would mean my team could win this turn. The village didn't go for it. Was still fun.

Champions 3A
I think this one's pretty self-explanatory. And I think the sequel (it's coming soon, right bwt?) will be epic.

Run, run, as fast as you can
Dude, I got to bake a pie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mine are all old, since I haven't been around much lately:

1. Heroes (jmilum) - really fun, complex game, with goals besides just trying to achieve parity for the wolves. I had private chats with many people throughout the game, most of which had their own personal goals, and I had contact with even more players through an intermediary. Plus Grim blew up New York. Twice.

2. Champions 2 (Kima) - I found the character creation process really overwhelming, and needed a lot of help from the mods. But once the game started it was a total blast from start to finish. And my one-on-one gunfight with Riot after he betrayed me on a night mission was the most thrilling moment I've had in a WW game.

3. Dawn of the Dead (CapAp) - This game ended up being canceled prematurely, but I had so much fun with it while it lasted. It was really open ended with what it allowed us to do, and it was fun working together to come up with a plan to keep the zombies at bay.

4. Battle Royale (Esuh) - Another really open ended game, where everyone was out for themselves. I found a group early on that got past a lot of initial distrust to become very close knit and we were able to escape the island, and rescue a few others as well.

5. Kill and Tell (bwt2q) - Fun little game where the killers could only kill certain people, and the players had to figure out what their rules were.

It seems that the games I have enjoyed the most deviated from basic werewolf a great deal while still maintaining some aspects of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
My Top Five are really the Top 5 favorite moments. Every so often, things just come together for a moment or 30 minutes of pure werewolf bliss.

1. Schrodinger's Cat (SuperChutney): I doubt something like the Day 2 lynch will ever happen again because it was the perfect storm of BSC seer claim, mixed with a random lynch time, ending in a 15 minute flurry of votes that settled on no lynch as the lynch window expired. I can just imagine the 15 or so active players sitting at computers around the world in complete hysterics because that's what I was doing.

2. The Village of New Lycan (Snaak): This one was memorable for me because at precisely 4:07 pm, [dawn] was posted on Day 3. I don't think more than 65 passed before wolf lvoverride and random role seer ohgrande both cross posted claims of random role seer on each other. Both of us had voted on each other the previous day so once again, things just came together perfectly. Evil had a Revenent who could view for roles in wolf chat so that's how the wolf team knew what to claim. And of course the best part of the day was winning a seer battle. The game itself was excellent going down to a final 4.

3. Another Perfect Eleven (Dekal, nyriv): I got the seer lynched who claimed a wolf hit on me. Nuf said!

4. Testosterone City 7: Wha? Wha? Wha? (Dispaminite): My first time as an evil and a werewolf at that. I remember that someone lasered onto me the first day for a pretty bad mistake (called someone good and then voted for them in the same post). At that moment I realized the depth and foresight that goes into playing evil. And of course the ending of the game was pretty epic: On Day 8 with 9 players left, a brutal chain (4 villagers + hunter) went off which left: 1 wolf, 1 sorcerer, 1 cultist and 1 frightened aux seer. Mmmm, brutal chain.

5. Werewolf Reversed (Zyxistal)/Oh My! 5 (Avin): Both of these games had lynches where I was evil and in the lead in the very last minute of the day. In WW Reversed I was the "wolf" in the final 5 and the Priest sniped onto a villager. In Oh My! 5 (I decided not to do the Sorcerer-suicide), I moved at the last minute, a fellow sorc moved after me and then the Ranger-turned-hunter also moved. The end result was that I evaded lynch in both games. There's just something about being in the lead all day long and fighting for your evil life up until the very last minute and have it work out which is extremely satisfying. It's quite a rush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disco Inferno: My first game. And it was really fun. It was about the 10th game in the forum. Rubric came up with some cool role ideas. Tarrant was an excellent wolf. I false claimed seer as minor villager special in my first game.

Lord of the Rings Part 2
: Tough to choose between PTPer's original LOTR or one of Kima's games. I chose Kima's just because it was such a great venture and a staple of early BGG WW. A five part series. By the second installment things were really cooking. This one was great. If I remember correctly Kakaris false claimed as Nazgul and there was a great village sacrifice in regards to the Balrog's brutal - and the Uruk-Hai attacks.

House on Demon Hill: This was one of the more innovative early games, done by Slyde. Everyone started the game vanilla innocent and found items for "room search" actions. Some had evil portals. It was a terrific game of mystery and deduction. Kima and I got into a fight. I thought he was being pushy.

Clan Wars:
Another of the canonical early games. Two clans of wolves were about and it was a tense game. It came to a great ending and some tactical play by the wolves since targeting the same kill target produced no kill. This game was Cornjob's last stand.

River's Edge: This game was really the first "hidden roles" besides Agnespoodle's early apocalyptic games. Nobody knew what was going on and there ended up to be two clans of evil. What was memorable about this game is that I was an non-Werewolf evil type special and the flavor when I died sort of implied that I was good and saw my killer. The dead got to vote and I ended up voting Kima for kicks. Turns out he was a werewolf and the village thought I was good. They all voted for him. He tried to bargain. It didn't work.

The Curse of SeanP: This game is one of those non-thematic role filled games that just clicked. LudesFactor did this one. There were a couple layer of auxes and seers who got positives on their apprentices - and they ended up pegging each other, on the same team. There was some great controversy as the teams were basically fighting against themselves with views. Then Bluebehir and I decided to be the first werewolves to openly fight with each other in the forum. It worked.

Star Wars - A New Hope: This game had some great thematic ideas for mechanics. Done by PTPer. There was a process to gaining steps in the adventure for the Rebels, who were the wolves in this case. The auxes got tied up with each other again...(riot and Cap). I had one of my biggest posts ever. It worked...but then I missed my d20 on the Death Star. Great game. I also really enjoyed Kima's Clone Wars game in the vein of this theme.

Haunted Village 2:
Legendary series. This one turned out great and had a fantastic ending. Alexfrog bought a Lance and killed the last wolf who attacked him in the night. Greatness.

Blade Runner:
Some great mechanics to fit the game. The game is pretty awesome. I liked both, but the first one really hit things off well. Snaak's frustration when he was up for lynch on Day 1 as Seer was priceless (especially as evil). Sorry Snaak.

Bewitched Part 2: All these games were great but things started to hit their stride in this installment. It was a bit frustrating the the wolves all had "tough" potions, but the feel of the game is very epic and exciting. And there is so much variety with the roles and potions. Before chats there were just PMs. I remember being bored one night in this game and claiming I got a mistaken PM from a wolf. It led to a lot of funnery.

Chaos Spawn World 4: I wish I would have played some of the earlier ones, but I did play in this one and it was really great. Such a great feel having public roles, but all these little extra things behind the scenes. The overall feel of the game is just fantastic. Evil did a great job of dehydrating us.

Oh My 5: Being a Lone Wolf is tense!

A lot of these are older games. I have plenty of more recent favorites, but when making a list, the farther back one gets the more sentimental one gets too as well, usually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The Ugly Duckling: I was evil. Raid was good. Evil won.

2. Evil Mod 33 1/3: I was evil. Raid was good. Evil won.

3. Full Moon Madness: I was evil. Raid was good. Evil won.

4. My bloodier Valentine: I was good. Raid was evil. Good won.

5. 2011 Perfect Eleven Opening game: I was good. Raid was good. Good won despite Raid nearly blowing it by getting himself (the hunter) lynched on D1 and brutalizing a fellow villager. I stayed alive until the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamgar
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
Knowing where the trap is - that's the first step in evading it.
mbmbmbmbmb
ohgrande wrote:
5. Werewolf Reversed (Zyxistal)/Oh My! 5 (Avin): Both of these games had lynches where I was evil and in the lead in the very last minute of the day. In WW Reversed I was the "wolf" in the final 5 and the Priest sniped onto a villager.

I still have nightmares about this one. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamgar
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
Knowing where the trap is - that's the first step in evading it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh My 3

I was a sorceror and hinted my LW jage in the days that was still cool. My record for the game stands at 2 sorc views finding both seers and then conversion to wolf, before mass murder of the village. Huge fun and great to have Avin on side in an Oh My game.

BSG: New Caprica

I was on the human wolf team as Jammer along with bwt and arkibet. It was a hugely fun game both for it's complexity and the heavy negotiation element. The good-wolf role was interesting too and we made some good kills and narrowly pulled the win out. I still needn't have offed kristie though (but she always pings so evil!).

Survivor

Epic game run by Flash & Dcorrin. Not only was it a huge emotional drain for months (4 or so?), but was also a fantastic opportunity to get to know other WW players and try out my negotiation skills. Selena rightfully pulled out the win here, but I was happy to make it to the final 6 and go out with a smile (even if I still felt guilty about jage).

7up 2nd bottle

I've really enjoyed yiatzi's 7up series but my epic seer battle with thod for david707's villager vote was fantastic fun here. David changed his vote about a million times, but in the end I won the battle and good won the war.

Dune

I played as Chani for the Fremen and with Avin's excellent guidance for our team we pulled out a victory. I enjoyed the game for it's intense discussions and the codes and underhand dealing that I was involved in. Oh and what better theme could there be?

Nethack 2

A great game from Urza. I got the seer item off the d1 lynch and subsequently found an evil and bought a few more views by lying about passing the item. Kept drinking unknown potions that did horrible things to me though.

Other special mentions:

Werewolf Reversed (I) - my first game and one where I survived a fake wolf hit against me from Goo

Hidden Ducks
- an interesting concept from Snaak. I got my first go at evil and Javal and I self destructed for the loss on the final day.

Evening Eleven - I got mislynched as hunter, but not before managing to almost entirely turn around the village's opinion of me and proposing numerous flawed 'maths wins' for the village

Tombstone - Great theme and modding from dbmurph. I LOVED the roleplay, but was very sad when I got myself stupidly killed after ignoring one of evil's abilities

Old Skool - Wolf team with raid, but no cassie. Huge fun and we pulled out the win when I sniped my wolf partner to induce a counter-snipe from the seer (just in time) and perma-clear him (it was all luck really though).

Twin Peaks - Excellent role play here, I'm a huge fan and KentuckyKid did Major Briggs real credit here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here's my picks!

As I was going over my list of games played, I found a classic game that I hadn't initially remembered much about, but after rereading the game, I think actually tops my list. And that game is,

1) 639) Redwall Redux

It's probably not a coincidence that a lot of the games on this list are reduxes, sequels, or games that were later reduxed or augmented. In this case, I never played in the original Redwall, but I knew it by reputation as one of Redhawke's finest rolesets with a legendary deadchat.

This game in itself was just such a classic, memorable game for me. First a bit of background: I've been playing BGG werewolf for around 4 and a half years now, from early 2007 to now. However I played very little between mid-2008 through 2009, so I tend to recall two distinct eras of my play: my first year and a half, and the past two years. And I romanticize in my head that first year and a half for several notable memories that "made" werewolf for me, as is no doubt typical for most people to more fondly remember their initial experiences with anything. This game, Redwall Redux, I can point to as being a quintessential midsized/largish game of that period, with several of those fond memories that seem very typical to that era for me, with a few notable distinguishing marks of its own.

The roster on this game was awesome: LuckayLuck, Snaak, woodjh, ctrzn, Wightwolf, Luthrin (his first game on these forums), replacements jmilum and dbmurph, and a few others that aren't as active players here any longer. The first three days were full of pure and unadulterated LuckayLuck goodness, with Hyachachachachas and BIG STRATEGY ANNOUNCEMENTs and players who absolutely positively must be lynched. And he was completely on target with almost everything he said, with pretty much the sole exception of his "celebration rule" that "cleared" a number of evils. On day 1 he pushed and pushed and "CATTAIN LUCKY desires the WALKIN' OF THE PLANK for WIGHTWOLF! sauron" pushed on a Wightwolf lynch all day, to get the main max evil, the tough alpha wolf with vote moving powers, lynched and killed on day 1 instantly. On day 3, he identified and got the lone wolf with the independent kill also lynched, before he disappeared to a sorcerer view.

And that's just LuckayLuck. Next we have Snaak, who was outed as the evil cultist on day 2 by full role seer rjphelan, and yet ... he seemed to miraculously survive being lynched, day after day after day. There was a role in the game, Cornflower, the aux seer who could instantly kill any aux evil by simply viewing them at night, and outed evil Snaak still managed to escape unscathed to the end of day 6 and join with the other evils for vote control. And in the meanwhile, he made so many glorious posts taunting the village, spreading FUD, swapping recipes, and offering his advice to his wolves. When I suggested the category "Best performance as an outed evil" for the 2010 Wolfy awards, Snaak's play in this game was one of my inspirations. If we ever give retroactive awards, he's got to get one for that. At one point woodjh confessed evil and the two of them doubled the craziness, until wood's lynch: he seemed to not have the magic lynch evasion touch that Snaak did, but it was certainly fun while it lasted.

Finally, this was probably my first game that I really shone in as an evil. In my early werewolf games, I began to acquire a reputation for being a very strong player when good, able to come up with great analysis and a village organizer ... but when evil, my game would often be lacking and I'd easily be caught particularly by players who have a strong ability to read my tone. This game started me on a path of finding my own evil metagame, which doesn't work well in basic games unfortunately but relies on me using the same skills that made me a strong good player to hunt a path for an evil victory. As an aux evil this game, I managed to get myself suitably noticed enough by my fellow evils for woodjh to take the shot of killing me, which for my role converted me to a full wolf. Once a wolf, pbwedz and I were able to analyze all the remaining players and figure out their roles reasonably well enough to make pretty much perfect kill choices every night: the game ended with a glut of villagers. Second, circumstances allowed me to grab a claimable villager role in a very convincing way, so that from day 3 onward, most players blindly seemed to accept that I was "clear" due to my roleclaim, and the lie only started being uncovered by Tino on the very last day as he was getting mislynched at must lynch, as he realized that things weren't adding up, but even then he wasn't willing to make a hard accusation about it. And one bold play I made that probably ended up winning us the game as well was one that actually completely perplexed me even now when I was reviewing the game, because I couldn't figure out what had happened just by reading the thread: on night 3, sorcerer gjanse was theoretically going to be killed by cornflower, the previously mentioned aux seer who had the ability to instakill any aux evil, but as an evil, I wanted gjanse to survive in order for him to use his daytime ability to redirect the lynch, giving us an extra critical mislynch. So I convinced pbwedz to use a stolen bodyguard ability from a previous kill to protect gjanse that night, a risk that would result in a 50% chance that pbwedz himself would die! As it turned out that ended up being a hugely necessary risk; since Tino was on the verge of uncovering the deception regarding my roleclaim, if the game had gone on one more day, I'm sure we would have lost. But we barely pulled it out, and I considered that an amazing win after the incredibly devastating first day of the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The remaining games on my list are in chronological order.

2) 556) Domino Effect

This was an absolutely amazing game for its flavor, theme, and gameplay. In fact Nykkel reduxed it last year and the redux was nominated in the 2011 wolfy awards for a few categories I believe, and won best writing for an original theme. I hear tell that the players in this game had a lot of fun with it too. I wouldn't know; I was killed on night 1. But I had thought that the flavor was very well done so despite the fact that I didn't quite keep up with the game itself, I continued to read the flavor, and I was certainly rewarded for it. Just in case Nykkel ever reduxes the game again, let me put the rest of this description in spoiler text:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I was not the first player to find the metapuzzle, I believe, but I found the challenge absolutely riveting and the concept of it being very tightly integrated into the flavor text an amazing accomplishment. It turns out that there were hidden puzzles that were alluded to within some of the more cryptic flavor, and that ended up tying together lots of seemingly irrelevant details present in the writing each day. Almost everything was planned out and significant, from the games people were playing in the opening sequence to the timestamps of the posts. After solving each of the 10 or so hidden puzzles, I was given a final puzzle that tied together all of the previous ones, and after finally solving that, was declared a winner of the game despite the fact that my team (good) ended up losing the werewolf game. I even got to be "revived" to post for my own amusement on the last day as a reward for having solved everything before the end of the game.

3) 1039) Champions 3A: Alternate Universe

Kima's Champions games remain some of the most complex, but fun hybrid werewolf games we've seen on these forums. The RPG involved in the Champions system many ways outshines the werewolf game. But as much credit as Kima deserves for the idea, adapting the Champions character rules for these forums, and the undertaking running the first two and aborted third game was, I have to give bwt2q the prize for my favorite and what I consider the best by far. That's not just because of my role in it. I feel like the rules and integration with the werewolf aspect of the game was by far the cleanest this time around, and from past experience (and some of my own attempts to break the game) bwt2q was able to make fair rulings that avoided many character creation loopholes that would make some very unfair battles.

My role in this game was an experience. I felt as though I was one third player, one third NPC, and one third co-moderator. Being given the task of being the public super-villain, I chose to portray Albert Zerstoiten, parallel universe counterpart of Doctor Destroyer, as a complex but sympathetic character, whose academic life and belief in general goodness despite his own hidden egotism was interrupted by an identity crisis in the form of his mega-evil counterpart, which allowed him to go down a slippery slope of denial. Even to the end Zerstoiten acted as though he was deceived about what was truly happening, and indeed he was being partially controlled by Destroyer's mask, but it was his own self-deception motivated by his refusal to acknowledge the evil in himself that allowed that.

I think I had as much fun roleplaying this character as I did working for the battles, honestly. I even got frustrated at bwt2q a couple times for making "me" do something that I didn't think was in character, but in hindsight he made the right calls for those situations; especially for the purpose of the game, we couldn't have been as subtle as I would have liked to be, because otherwise the heroes (the "good guys") wouldn't have been quite as justified in the actions they were supposed to take in order to defeat me.

The thing that consistently impresses me about the Champions games that this was no exception for, is the platform for creativity that the battles allows. This game would have been the game it was if it wasn't for Kastell in the final battle stealing my mask, rendering me practically impotent and turning my nearly sure victory by means of my overpowered character and defenses into a nearly sure loss. And then, of course, Nikki Heart's masterful betrayal, from having stayed hidden as a hero the entire game to her recursive powering up in the final battle, to launch the most gigantic trap ever seen, allowing her and my remaining agents an easy time of cleaning up the battle even without my own character to help out.

4) 1115) Lycanthropolis II

Lycanthropolis II was a masterpiece of game design. Borrowing heavily from some of Javal's experimental game mechanics that Snaak had played in previously, the Lycanthropolis series offers several unconventional but intuitive roles and a very high percent of "basic" special roles (that is, "basic" in the sense of a seer is a seer, and not also a player who can't be lynched and gets resurrected after being dead for three days with a chatroom with another role) while still discouraging role reveals and mathematical victories to the end of the game. The reason it's one of my favorite games though is because the role I received is probably my all-time favorite role to have seen in a werewolf game, and I was put in a situation with great other players so that I could use it to maximal effect.

I was the "Weak Lover Revenant," which made me an aux evil that would die if in second place for lynch, would die if the player I targeted the previous night died, and once dead, would show up in wolf chat where I could view players as a standard sorcerer up until anyone I had viewed died, at which point I would be removed from the game permanently. There was clearly an intended way to play that role .... and then there was the way that I played the role. Not interested in dying for no reason, I decided to go out with a fud bomb. Initially I hoped to out or neutralize the Confessor, one of the strongest good roles in the game, but that quickly turned to setting up a fake seer claim, using my "lover" targets as support. I got a mislynch with my seer claim, and from that point on I was full on wolf-consultant. While still alive I continued to enjoy being an outed evil, coordinating kills and evil abilities, and then once added to wolf chat I stumbled on the excellent, excellent hints by Mr Mauve.

Mauve won the roleplaying award and post of the year last year for this game. His cultist play was truly excellent, both being entertaining to read his detective narrative posts, and helpful to the evils to allow us to identify each other through his hints. Once we caught that in wolf chat, it was smooth sailing to try to coordinate with our annarok, who was making the kills and get some mislynches. This was definitely helped by the excellent "helpful wolf" play by HanClinto and general under-the-radar play by Goo and Tarrant.

While last year I won the Best Performance as an Aux Evil award for my play in Oh My! 3, I definitely consider my aux evil play in Lycanthropolis 2 to have taken more effort on my part, to have sown more confusion in the village, and to have been more rewarding to actually play in.

5) 1237) (Non) Dune

NickAnner wrote:
I'm still stinging from frank herberts dune and how his fremen pwnd.

The funny thing is, I wasn't the team leader of the Fremen, nor did I ever hold any office. Jamgar, PeteVasi, and DarrinWilliams, my fellow Fremen, all played awesome and I could not have pulled off half of what we did without them, and a lot of what we ended up doing wasn't all my ideas either, although I can see why Nick's referring to them as "my" Fremen. It was an awesome team, and our camp out in the desert for three consecutive phases while the rest of the world crumbled totally paid off, and when we came back into action, combined with a tentative alliance with Emperor Dispaminite from the first night of the game, the Fremen truly were an elite team to rack up 174 points on day 6, when we only needed 100 to win.

This game had great tactical mechanics that gave players lots of opportunities to exploit the rules to their advantage. Some players complained about being really poor and having little to work with, but the system allowed exponential gains once teams became powerful. After the game I posted my orders from Night 5, but here it is with some additional commentary in blue:

*(free) Use The Voice to make Saberwolf give me all his spice (or 50 if "all" is insufficient) - This prevented the Guild from winning the game, pretty much. Because of distrust within the guild, most of them stockpiled spice rather than working together, and only then were willing to talk, but unfortunately the code they used to discuss their spice holdings in thread was a little too obvious if someone was willing to work at figuring out the shipping amounts they were referring to.
*(free) Train Fedaykin to lippyj, - A mostly symbolic gesture to reassure lippyj that I would be helping him out and prevent him from doing anything rash like pushing the Guild to bank spice. It also got me 5 spice for training, so not bad.
*(free) Purchase a Crysknife (order submitted before kanly was recalled) - Mostly to keep up my own supply so I wouldn't be caught unarmed.
*(free) Give a Crysknife to lippyj conditionally if the purchase succeeded - To again help lippy out, and it didn't really cost me anything.
*(free) Give 5 spice to Vox - Giving him enough to attempt to undergo the Spice Agony test the following phase.
*(free) Use Steward of the Sand - The critical Fremen skill to fertilize the planet.
*(free) Volunteer for Deathmatch - More points from hopefully killing a Harkonnen!
*(free) Send a message to Adiamant: "When God hath ordained a creature to die in a particular place, He causeth that creature's wants to direct him to that place." - I had arranged his assassination in order to deny the Bene Gesserit points. I had a spare message action, so just for fun, I sent him this consolation death note.
*(free) Bank 1 spice, and - Leftover spice!
* Learn Prana Bindu from Vox - Mostly in order to give him 5 spice from training.

By that point the Fremen juggernaut was unstoppable, because we had each trained so many skills to each other and our allies and had access to so much resources, options, and paths to victory.

But then the game also relied a huge amount on diplomacy and a lot of players underestimated that aspect of the game. The Harkonnens were the "bad guys" early on not just because thematically they were the bad guys of the story, but because they acted out the role they thought they had. Then the Corrino/BG alliance became the thing to be feared, while the Fremen hid away in the desert even though we were theoretically on their side, so we got the benefits of their friendship without the drawback they had of being exposed with the favor to win. The Guild couldn't trust each other enough to work together effectively nor did they have any strong allies, and the Atreides got crippled in the fallout of the Harkonnen scramble to stay in the game.

Dune had me staying up late every night to make deals, talk with my allies or potential allies, and figure out the optimal way to coordinate everything that needed to happen with every phase. To encode information in the thread to communicate secretly with others, and figure out the codes that others were using to do the same. To see my orders succeed or not, and to see the outcome of every duel. Then as soon as I get up in the morning, it was back to post the new ideas I had had while trying desperately to get some amount of sleep. Now that was a game I'll never forget.

Honorable Mentions:

It was hard to narrow my list down to 5, so like Raid I've got a few games I played in that I fondly remember for various reasons, which I'll list here, in chronological order again.

447) Auto-mod: PraiseChick's First Year of Werewolf!

Aside from the very amusing D1 antics, including where I (as a villager) false claimed seer, I believe this is the first werewolf game that involved a nighttime dawn-snipe post. I came up with the idea because I was confident that Melsana was the hunter, and had a concrete argument to show why she had to be, but there was some doubt on that fact and I capitalized on it on the semifinal night of the game, increasing the suspicion on her and indicating that I would lynch her in the final 3 if she and I were alive, and if not, that the two remaining players should. Then I sniped dawn with my argument of why she could not actually be evil as I was killed in the night, allowing praisechick to recognize the truth of what I was saying and vote funkadillo for the victory.

480) Year of the Dragon

I received an utterly broken hidden role in a game in which every other role was listed in the rules, and I used my role to its full extent. On day 4 I was able to identify the role of every player in the game. It was devastating to the Fire Dragons, and the other two Water Dragons in fact, and then it was just a matter of diplomacy to get them killed.

548) Auto-mod: Villagers Are Tasty!!! (Basic 9-Player)

More LuckayLuck goodness. I don't think it's a coincidence that he features in a number of my favorite WW memories. Here's the final vote tally at the end of day 1, in a basic 9-player automod game:

Cassandra Project wrote:
VOTE TALLY

Player (9/9) - # - Voted by

woodjh - 4 - Snaak(1), wightwolf(7), LuckayLuck(13), nykkel(26), LuckayLuck(43), Avin(48), LuckayLuck(50), Snaak(51), ctrzn(52), Avin(55)
Snaak - 3 - nykkel(2), wightwolf(8), dbmurph22(18), redhawke(21), ctrzn(22), woodjh(24), woodjh(29), redhawke(40), Avin(53), woodjh(54)
wightwolf - 1 - Avin(3), Snaak(25), woodjh(27), nykkel(37)
nykkel - 1 - redhawke(15), Avin(33), Snaak(35), LuckayLuck(36), LuckayLuck(39), woodjh(41), wightwolf(46)
Avin - 0 - Snaak(9), ctrzn(28), Snaak(30), nykkel(31), LuckayLuck(34), LuckayLuck(38), LuckayLuck(42), ctrzn(44), Snaak(45), LuckayLuck(47)
ctrzn - 0 - woodjh(5), dbmurph22(10), redhawke(11), Avin(16), woodjh(19), Snaak(20)
dbmurph22 - 0 - nykkel(6), redhawke(17), redhawke(23), LuckayLuck(32)
LuckayLuck - 0 - ctrzn(4), woodjh(49)
redhawke - 0 - dbmurph22(12), woodjh(14)

Not Voting: N/A

Nightfall votes are denoted by an '*' after the player's name.

Your Moderator has chosen to use the Longest Held Last Vote method for a tiebreaker - This is just for Cassandra system, and there may be a different tiebreaker specified by your Moderator in the ruleset.

Lynch time is at 2:01 PM BGG
Night Action deadline is at 4:01 PM BGG
---------------------

INVERTED TALLY

Voter - # - Voted on

Avin - 6 - wightwolf(3), ctrzn(16), nykkel(33), woodjh(48), Snaak(53), woodjh(55)
ctrzn - 5 - LuckayLuck(4), Snaak(22), Avin(28), Avin(44), woodjh(52)
dbmurph22 - 3 - ctrzn(10), redhawke(12), Snaak(18)
LuckayLuck - 10 - woodjh(13), dbmurph22(32), Avin(34), nykkel(36), Avin(38), nykkel(39), Avin(42), woodjh(43), Avin(47), woodjh(50)
nykkel - 5 - Snaak(2), dbmurph22(6), woodjh(26), Avin(31), wightwolf(37)
redhawke - 6 - ctrzn(11), nykkel(15), dbmurph22(17), Snaak(21), dbmurph22(23), Snaak(40)
Snaak - 8 - woodjh(1), Avin(9), ctrzn(20), wightwolf(25), Avin(30), nykkel(35), Avin(45), woodjh(51)
wightwolf - 3 - woodjh(7), Snaak(8), nykkel(46)
woodjh - 9 - ctrzn(5), redhawke(14), ctrzn(19), Snaak(24), wightwolf(27), Snaak(29), nykkel(41), LuckayLuck(49), Snaak(54)

Not Voting: N/A

The result? 2 wolves lynched in two days, with only a villager dead in the night in between. I'm a firm believer in the Luckay Wagon.

633) WW'S ZOMBIE GAME

I just had so much off-the-wall fun with this game. I don't think I took this game seriously at all from the very beginning, despite being the seer, and it only increased when I was killed on night 1. It's probably a good thing too as I think people who were taking the game seriously got a bit fed up with the chaos, so I'm glad I took that tack. Here's my first post:

Avin wrote:
HerbieGRD is a wolf!

Attention fellow BGG Werewolfers,

As many of you know, I have been experimenting with scripts that can scan BGG threads apart from Cassandra. I have so far used this information to post custom tallies for games in which a traditional vote tally is not enough, such as in Champions or my recent Choose Your Own Werewolf game. Well this is not the only task I have been working on.

It has come to my attention that we here in the BGG Werewolf community could use a device designed to sense and track wolves with greater efficiency than our feeble attempts to pick up on tone reads. To that end, I invented the Automated Wolf Sensor, patent pending.

Trial use of my AWS produced little effect at first. However I soon realized my mistake; I had calibrated it using GrimJester's recent newbie game and of course it naturally was looking for piranhas, not wolves. The AWS was therefore happily verifying guppy claims without finding any wolves. So I quickly fixed my error and I re-scanned many players in this game. It was not long before I heard the device emit loud "PINGS" at Herbie, who I have discovered to be not just a wolf, but the Zombie Wolf. Yes, the AWS succeeds even where the seer will fail.

Fellow villagers, I propose to you the following MASTER PLAN to break this game open:

1. Lynch Herbie

Got it?

I know there will be some players who will oppose this plan on philosophical grounds, but I implore you all to consider it. A lynch of Herbie confers the following benefits:
- We make life easier for our seer, who no longer has to worry about an unknown Alpha Wolf
- We can lynch Herbie again tomorrow to get a wolf down permanently and eliminate the possibility that he Necromancer will recruit him
- When we kill HerbieGRD, the Brutal Cub gets upgraded to a full wolf and loses its brutality, enabling us to lynch it without fear once the AWS tracks it down

I made a few other zany posts and then some while later, I pretended to have complete amnesia and started playing as though I had just started posting for the first time. Then after I was killed on N1, I posted tons of random amusing hints and rebuses to try to convey information while a zombie, which I was quite proud of ... up until wightwolf stopped enforcing anything with regard to what zombies could and could not post.

650) The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe - Redux

I never cease to be amazed by Snaak's survival rate. Aside from Redwall Redux above, there were three other games I recall where he survived day after day for no good reason. There was this, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe where his fake Edmund claim on Day 5 allowed him to live through Day 9, despite his repeated lack of being killed. I "supported" his claim with my fake Father Christmas reveal and had the rare privilege of joining him in repeatedly still being alive each dawn but not harboring enough suspicion to be lynched for it. The other two I did not play in, but since I referenced them recently elsewhere, they were Leather & Lace where Snaak's day 1 "Lady of Ill Repute" bodyguard claim kept him alive until day 6 when the village finally got fed up with him, and then his masterpiece, Master of Evil Bar and Fight Club where Snaak's seer claim on day FOUR got the real seer, Valkerie, lynched twice in succession, and engineered several more mislynches as he kept on living through the night to survive to the end of the game, through day NINE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Avin wrote:
447) Auto-mod: PraiseChick's First Year of Werewolf!

Aside from the very amusing D1 antics, including where I (as a villager) false claimed seer, I believe this is the first werewolf game that involved a nighttime dawn-snipe post. I came up with the idea because I was confident that Melsana was the hunter, and had a concrete argument to show why she had to be, but there was some doubt on that fact and I capitalized on it on the semifinal night of the game, increasing the suspicion on her and indicating that I would lynch her in the final 3 if she and I were alive, and if not, that the two remaining players should. Then I sniped dawn with my argument of why she could not actually be evil as I was killed in the night, allowing praisechick to recognize the truth of what I was saying and vote funkadillo for the victory.

Argh ... and that was my first game ever.

At least I learned this valuable lesson early on: Never trust Avin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicklas Roman
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is like a great reading list for me, so thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lasse Sumborg
Denmark
Odense M
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jamgar wrote:
ohgrande wrote:
5. Werewolf Reversed (Zyxistal)/Oh My! 5 (Avin): Both of these games had lynches where I was evil and in the lead in the very last minute of the day. In WW Reversed I was the "wolf" in the final 5 and the Priest sniped onto a villager.

I still have nightmares about this one. soblue

Suits you right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Key: Totally Bouse
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Top Five are coming, but I have to give one person a friendly plink on the nose first.

Raid!!! How can you mention all that happened in Pegasus and convienently leave out the fact that you gave Disp the authorization to go murdering?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lvoverride wrote:
My Top Five are coming, but I have to give one person a friendly plink on the nose first.

Raid!!! How can you mention all that happened in Pegasus and convienently leave out the fact that you gave Disp the authorization to go murdering?!

It was only one murder. Hardly worth mentioning....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this was an really cool personal idea and expression you had raid, but this seems like a great idea for a regular installment. The StatSig Chit Chat weekly thread was cool too but seems to have lost some steam.

I got the next list topic of WW top 5 list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
I know this was an really cool personal idea and expression you had raid, but this seems like a great idea for a regular installment. The StatSig Chit Chat weekly thread was cool too but seems to have lost some steam.

Yeah, seems like people wore out on them pretty quickly, which is why I stopped trying to push them.

I'll try and post my top 5 later today, I already know a couple of 'em off the top of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pragmatically turning whims into principles
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My highlights:

379) Quick and Brutal

My first game. I had lots of fun as a cub talking my way out of the D1 lynch, getting killed on N1 and surviving, then pulling the wool over Avin's eyes for the win.

425) Snaak's First Game

Yes, you can blame me for the player that snaak has become. I, a wolf, false-claimed seer on D1 while not under pressure, killed the real seer on N1, called villager snaak a wolf on D2, and got evil voting majority with the sorcerer on D3. Snaak swore revenge, and that's why he's kept playing.

507) Bourne

I was a lone wolf in this game and I feel like I did a good job of keeping out of the village eye. Nevertheless, I unluckilly got seer-viewed and ended up getting lynched and losing, but it was a fun ride, and I was so close.

556) Domino Effect

That guy Nykkel doesn't mod nearly enough! I loved almost everything about this game- the roles, the concept, the players, the works. Only way it could have been better was if I would have won.

590) Power Village

In this game everyone got to create powers during the game. I was the half-seer, who created a bunch of items and ended up converting myself to evil to win with them. Fun and a great outlet for my creativity.

623) The Incredibles

I love being a mason- probably my favorite good role. So it was fun drawing that role in a game with this theme and some excellent mechanics.

625) Choose Your Own Werewolf

I really like games where there's a customization aspect to your role. Here that was based on answers to questions, and once more I made a weird, totally unbelievable claim and got away with it. FUN! devil

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe - Redux

Another game where I was evil, but this time I got to kick the village's butt with snaak. I replaced out halfway through and Avin stepped in, and thanks to some great false claiming and clever kill choices Narnia suffered winter without Christmas for another hundred years.

1019) Pure Chaos 3

I said I loved games with customizable roles, the the Pure Chaos series takes that to an extreme. I'll save a lot of commentary and just link you to my role. As you read it, remember that I've promised to play in Pure Chaos 5... and tremble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

With the encouragement of bluelise's podcast, I guess I should do this ...

Unfortunately, looking at my list of games in Cassy, I can't recall that much about a lot of them, so I'll offer these highlights:

Acekim did a fantastic job presenting us with The Matrix, as close to a perfect game of Werewolf as any other I've played in - it was actually 2 rounds of games, three 9-ers then a whole 27-er.

I had a great time in Through the Ages (Belash), maybe in part because I lived from start to finish and finally decided GrimJester was a wolf. There were staggered entrances based on when people first started playing Werewolf on the Geek, a pretty neat mechanic.

Not necessarily one of my favorites, but certainly my most memorable game: The Thing Redux (houndsoftindalos). I was the Twitchy Norwegian thinking I was the Seer, even for a day or so after the real Seer had revealed. I was so wrapped up in this game I wasn't sleeping properly and then suddenly disappeared altogether about Day 12 (there's a story there but I ain't sharing).

Cryptonomicon (jmilum) featured two parallel and linked rosters of players. Everyone set up codewords for the other players (I think this was GrimJester's idea) and passed information in coded messages through a web-based encryption process. It was a fun experience and I think it would make a great basis for another game.

The Apprentice (Latria (and jmilum) ) wasn't a Werewolf game so much as a Donald-Trump-esque trip through Werewolfing as two teams vied to outdo one another on several exercises and challenges. Good times.

edit: wording
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Top Five Favorite Games

1. Battlestar Galactica - Journey to Kobol (Kimapesan) was the most effective thematic game I have ever played combined with one of the favorite roles I've ever had the pleasure to play (A completely neutral sleeper Cylon Zarek) combines for what is arguably my favorite game ever on the forum. I also think this game is a "TAKE THAT!" to all those who treat neutrals as if they're effectively evil. They don't have to be.

2. Redhawke's Evil Council (woodjh) was easily my favorite game played as a werewolf. Consider an evil team of myself, Redhawke, enwood, and adiamant, with Dispaminite as a werewolf/evil-leaning neutral. Ponder that evil team....and pray.

Oh, it was also a completely berserk role list. Hunters that die when viewed, Necromancers, Special Prosecutors, dogs and cats living together....mass hysteria!

3. Domino Effect Redux (Nykkel) is probably my favorite game as an aux evil, simply because of how crazy the claims got. Raid and I in particular both made some absolutely insane claims that came from who knows where, and we ended up pulling out the W.

As far as the game itself, it was tremendous. Easily the most fun thematic writing I've ever had the pleasure to read, especially considering I provoked the mod into writing some pretty nasty flavor for my actions in the game.

4. A Game For My Wife represents the Perfect Eleven roleset on this list. It is also my very first game of werewolf ever, and hoo boy was it a doozy of a hazing for me. Villagers counterclaiming seers with false-hits on Hunters was just the tip of the iceberg for how crazy that game got. Sadly, I was the hunter's misbrutal which gave evil the win. No matter, though. That was the game in which I met a great majority of the peeps I've had the pleasure of playing many more tense games with, peeps such as woodjh, Raid, Goo, Spud, and Disp among others.

5. Champions 3A (bwt2q). Wow, what an epic game. I didn't know the game system at all, so I rolled a pretty goofy medic/telepath/teleporter character based on a Nickelodeon kid's show called The Tommorrow People. I spent most of the game trying to find some way to do something goofy with my Teleport: Others power. You know, swipe some soldier's armor or some such. And, in fact, I did manage to do one tiny little move with that power. It may have effected the game just a little bit.

Plus, it was just an engaging game and storyline on its own. Avin did a fantastic job as the public max evil, and the traitors were all super backstabby. Hell, I still have what-if scenarios about that game, like what if my orders to read Nykkel's mind during the final fight had gone through and I'd been able to read his chat with Avin? Just a ridiculously deep game, one I immensely look forward to playing again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top Four Games (That I can currently think of)

1. Battlestar Galactica - Pegasus (Kima) - This is, by far, my favorite game to date. It was fun, and the game was an intense time. I cackled several times in the game, from when I caused the Resurrection Ship Objective to fail, breaking the spirit of the crew, then shooting bwt in the face, and almost causing a war between the two factions. Others have commented on it, in more depth. Plus I got to shoot Stat in the face.

2. (Non)Dune (Raid) - As Emperor Shaddam, I was pretty much sending someone to their deaths on a daily basis. My team was probably in the worst position out of the six, because I had decided on day one to pretty much for my easier alternative VC. Getting in a chatroom with both Avin and a BGer on Night 1 to cement an alliance was probably the key to my survival, and then being able to let both of them know later in the game I could win with them helped keep them happy with my benevolent rule. Most importantly, I got to kill...a lot. It was like Raid made this game, just for me.

3. Die Werewolf Die/Kill Werewolf Kill (Belash) - Such epic death scenes. I'm ready for the third incarnation Bellie.

4. Pure Chaos 4 (Sparky) - I told the mod off...though in hind sight, that didn't work out as well as I could have hoped. I blame Melriken for that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I also really enjoyed Die Hard (dbmurph). The flavor was awesome, and I got to play as John F'N McClane, shooting rockets down elevators, flashbanging the terrorists guarding the hostages, and blowing up the escape van with Hans Gruber inside! An absolute blast of an experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Domino Effect Redux (Nykkel) was amazing. Great WW game plus great puzzles and fantastic flavor.

2. Vampire Game 6.0 is one of my favorite Evil plays, I think. Down-to-the-wire game of me Renfielding for Grim and pulling it out BARELY with a snipe vote.

3. BSG: Journey to Kobol (Kima). The amount tension, drama, personal goals, and overall suspicion and nail-biting that went on here was just amazing. Kima's flavor was spot-on and it was totally down-to-the-wire feeling at all times. I loved it.

4. Macbeth Act II (Javal/Redhawke). This was just an awesome roleset. It was my first game, and I managed to live to the end and contribute without being overwhelmed, I think. We got totally swamped by revealed-Neutral Kima playing us Goods like a bunch of fools. It was fantastic.

5. Lycanthropolis II (Snaak). Amazing roleset and a just killer Evil team. Mauve as the best roleplaying Cultist. Anna as the totally UTR superWolf. Avin as the game-solving Revenant. Han and Goo as Wolf chatbuddies. I loved everything about this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The Scouring of the Shire - That was the first game I did well as evil. It was a lot of fun, and we managed to get the entire evil team to survive to the end. I miss you Shugyosha, you were a great sorcerer that game.

2. Tavern Tussle - That was my first really complicated big game. It had a lot of intrigue and backstabing going on in it. That is when I learned how devious Javal can be.

3. Underpants Gnome - This was pre-cassy chats so I became an evil in that game after one of them accidentally cc'd me instead of Melissa. Managed to pull of a win cause I did something I rarely ever do, and that is check the thread when I got home.

4. LOTR Rewind (PTPers) - This game was great fun. I miss Buffalospynovel. At the end of this game we were both claiming good specials, but in order for it to work we ended up having to counter eachother claiming that the other was lying... course we both knew we were both lying and the village was just following along trying to figure out who to believe, and we didn't much care who they believed. It ended up coming down to a 50/50 shot to finding the ring, which we did for the win. But it was a lot of fun doing that double fake counter claim with BSN.

5. Battlestar Galactica - No, not one of Kima's games. The first one. I enjoyed this one cause it was closer to just a simple werewolf game, but it really held the theme and paranoia of BSG very well.

Honorable Mention: All the foreshadowing games. I really enjoyed that ruleset a lot. I found all the games quite fun whether I won or lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.