Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chromatix

Players: 1
Components needed: 7 sets of three to four color cubes.
card sleeves for 29 cards (fantasy flight small card
size)

You are a water sprite and you are trying to build a rainbow by the game end.

Theme: Rainbow
Mechanics: Deck Building

Here is the full color copy of the rules and cards and playing board:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&...

And here is the low color copy of the rules and cards and playing board:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP: Iron Game Designers - Rainbow Endeavor
And the obligitory vassal module for Rainbow Endeavor is ready, although it is alpha (in other words there are a few mistakes in it. See below).

The module works, but there are no rules in the module yet. To read the rules, look at the first post in this thread. I will update them as able until I am happy with them. Only then will I make a pdf and include the rules in the vassal module.

There are two next turn buttons. The top one is a mistake. It will instead set up the game.

Also, shuffling your deck ala Dominion has to be done semi manually. If your draw deck is empty and you press next turn, it will fill up the 4 spaces as best as it can. You will now have to go to the discard deck and right click it to "send it back to the draw deck". DO NOT CLICK NEXT TURN YET. Now drag the card of the draw pile to empty card spaces and play your turn. Continue as normal.

Also, I think I want to change the name of this game to Chromatix. But I don't know how to do this now that the WIP thread has been made.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0WBVnUE4NbHM2NiZmMzMjAtODE...

OK, Here is the contest version of Chromatix. The rules are in the module:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0WBVnUE4NbHZWY5OTMzMjktZDQ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a picture of the game in progress in Vassal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With playtesting I have discovered that the movement of the fairy needed to be fixed.

So here is the change:

To play a cube card, you must move your fairy onto that color of that cube. The fairy may move left, right, up, down, or diagonally. He may also just stay on the cube that he was currently up.

Once you have done so, you may swap that cube with any cube that is orthogonally placed. In other words, you can switch the cube with a cube that is above it, below it, left of it, or right of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, first play through: Game is definitely posible. It actually felt a little easy. I beat it 5 rounds of cards in. I put 12 rounds into the game. It turns out that may be to generous.

Or there are other things that I can tweak.

Right now my list of things that I can tweak are:

1) Adjust turns available. (Include an easy and hard mode.)
2) Water sprite can only move orthogonally.
3) Whenever the water sprite moves, he must swap cubes. (He can however just stay still and move cubes.

Also, the card that lets you swap 6 cubes must cost specialty cards, not two. I may even consider removing it all together, as it is potentially a game breaking card. It is too powerful.

I may just create another swap 3 cubes card. The one I have in the game is not broken at all. They are hard to get and require you to not purchase specialty cards as they will water down your deck and therefore your chances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, removed the overpowered card. Game works just fine without it. Still beat the game without much of a problem.

I did like only being able to move the water sprite orthogonally.

I did not like forcing a swap every time I moved. I think it could create constant unwinable situations. (Two cubes that would be locked in a push-pull situation, that you could not pull them out of.)

I also think that the game will need less rounds. I will have to playtest it more to find the sweet spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fear Not; You Can Change the Subject Line!
radchad wrote:

Also, I think I want to change the name of this game to Chromatix. But I don't know how to do this now that the WIP thread has been made.

I'll definitely give the game when I'm home from vacation!

You should be able to change the title of this thread by clicking the Edit button on the first post and editing the Subject line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I am now happy with my playtests and have created a fun and simple game. Only step now is to update the vassal module and fix the errors/changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some rules questions:

1. Can the Sprite move on any square orthogonally, or just one square per turn?

2. Do I understand correctly that any two cubes may be swapped, if at least one of them is adjacent to the Sprite?
In other words, if my Sprite is on lowest row, can I swap the cube on middle row just above the sprite with the cube on topmost row?

Pictures with movement examples would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Images coming soon. Hopefully tonight. Sorry about the delay.

1. The sprite can move once per colered cube card played.

2. The cubes can be swapped from a space that is orthogonal to the space where the sprite just landed. It does not have to be where the sprite just came from. It does have to be swapped with the cube that the sprite just landed on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules, started playing but understood that I made mistakes at movement (i was playing the tile's color and not the cube's) so I started over. Seeing the image example helped a lot

On my second go I won pretty easily after 9 rounds. It was quite fun

Question: There aren't any cards in the Vassal module, right?

Maybe with the cards the game will be easier enough to be possible in Normal mode
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. There is cards in the game. They are a separate window. Look at the tabs on the top. It should say specialty cards.

To purchase one, discard the cards that it costs. Then right click the card that you want and send it to the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok cool, I'll try that. I finished the game without actually purchasing any cards at round 9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah hah! My computer finally let me run the game! Don't know why it was being so stubborn, earlier, but it didn't want to let me run the game after I downloaded it. But I just re-downloaded it, and it's working just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know what you think !!!

I let it go for a while and then came back to it last night with a fresh perspective. For a simple game, it really does have its charm. It isn't the overly convoluted mess that I usually prefer nor is it that much of a brainburner. It is just simple fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it again today, properly. I won in normal difficulty barely, I would lose in Hard difficulty. I must say I enjoyed it a lot. Simple and elegant, there is a lot of tactics and problem solving in it good job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oof. Just finished my first playthrough. I played on Normal. I thought I was doing well, initially, but I had the darnedest time herding a violet cube from the red side all the way over to the violet side. Ended up losing because of it. Not sure I was making the best use of the Specialty Cards, though, so I'll be giving the game another shot soon.

Very fun and clever theme, though. And it's mechanically very interesting. At first I thought it might be too fiddly for me--and a printed version probably would be--but I found the mechanics to be simple and straightforward, yet with enough depth to make the game interesting.

I do wish that there was more freedom of movement in the game. I kept getting stuck with hands of cards that either provided no movement options at all, or only allowed me to move in directions that didn't help me. I don't know how much that would change the game, but I think it makes sense, flavor-wise, that a faerie could flit from place to place freely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially had the fairy moving diagonal. The game became ridiculously easy though and I was finishing the game within the second or third round.

There is the one card that lets the fairy move anywhere and it was purposely cheap. Part of the strategy is to purchase lots of cards early because they provide extra actions later. And there is the weird logic of moving cubes away from the direction that they are supposed to go so that you can get the converse color towards the direction that you want.

Movement was meant to be limited and you are supposed to have hands that you can't do anything with. That is usually when you go shopping for cards.

Also note that you do not have to swap cubes when you move. You can just move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moonleaf wrote:
Simple and elegant

That comment right there made me think this whole thing was worth it!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.