Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
For my first solitaire Thunderstone play I decided to choose the set of cards most reminiscent of my first D&D adventure, "The Keep on the Borderlands".

Heros: Elf, Dwarf, Cleric, Thief
Village: Barkeep, Fireball, Flaming Sword, Hatchet, Lantern, Short Sword, Town Guard, Warhammer
Monsters: Ooze, Humanoid, Undead Spirit

I'll put what happened in the game in spoiler quotes so as to not annoy anyone who might want to try the same set.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
This was a really easy game. I love the Dwarf / Flaming Sword combo, and I used it a lot. Consequently I completely failed to defeat any of the undead who decreased strength. For some of the weaker humanoids I just let them go through to the village, whilst I went shopping and bought Fireballs. I was getting attack strengths in the teens. The Thunderstone came out at the earliest possible opportunity, so the game ended abruptly. Final score was something like 46:22 to the dwarves.

If anyone has any suggestions on cards from expansions which would fit in here, or plays through this scenario themselves, pleast poost here.

P.S. I tried to post this as a session report, which it is, and it was declined because it didn't contain enough content to be worthy of geekgold. Frankly I couldn't care less about the geekgold, but it really irks me that I'm posting this in the wrong forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea, I'll have to give it a go myself. I remember Keep of the Borderlands, I've still got the adventure somewhere.

From a solo Thunderstone standpoint thought I didn't think you where aloud to use Elf though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
From a solo Thunderstone standpoint thought I didn't think you where aloud to use Elf though?

I'll have to check. I certainly didn't use the elf's banishment power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Szaniawski
Sweden
Knivsta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't take it as offensive, but this setup is extremely boring. One would actually have to try to lose in a solo game using it. Dwarves, Short Swords and Fireballs turn everything in their way into hamburgers. If played with multiple players, it would be a simple race to get as many Loriggs as possible, and then buy all the expensive cards, while force-discarding other players to death. But I guess that is what you get with only the base set. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Piotr, you're exactly right. In my next solitaire scenario I decided I'd deliberately introduce some useless cards and leave out known good combos to make it more exciting. I'm beginning to think I have to leave out Short Sword altogether, it's way too much damage for the weight.

BTW, with regards to the solitaire rules and the Elf, the rules say that you can't use the second level Elf, and presumably imply the third level Elf as well. As I like elves for the theme, I choose to leave those guys in and not use the banishment power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than start a new thread, I'll post a session report for my second scenario attempt here. The motivation for this design was to try to find a less powerful set of cards, so I immediately thought of Goodberries. Thus was born

THE DARK FOREST

The folk of the forest have become disturbed at the bad reputation, not to mention the dangers, of their homeland. They've launched a counterattack against the forces of evil.

Heroes: Elf, Lorigg, Amazon, Feayn
Monsters: Humanoid, Enchanted, Undead Doom
Village: Arcane Energies, Trainer, Spear, Goodberries, Magical Aura, Feast, Short Sword, Lightstone Gem.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Trainer is an an obvious early buy with this set (maybe too obvious). Having had good experiences with Feayn in multiplayer games, I bought into them as soon as I could. I soon discovered that meant that I couldn't defeat whatever monster was about to hit the village, so I branched out to Amazons as well. Of course Short Swords went well with both of those. As the Trainer disposed of the Militia, I formed a strike force very capabale of disposing of most things in the second and third ranks, but generally unable to hurt the first rank.

One tactic I use in solitaire is to allow small monsters to get through while I rest or go to the village. The mistake I made in this scenario was to do that and consequently allow big guys to get to the first rank where I couldn't hurt them. That meant I had to keep hitting the trashy guys at the back to prevent the big guys from getting into the village, so my deck filled up with small scoring monsters.

Once again the Thunderstone came out at the first possible opportunity, and the game finished when the Lord of Death entered the elven village. However by that time his forces had been destroyed, and the forest was cleansed by a score of 35-18. My plan to branch out into Elves to attack the first rank had failed, but my ability to attack the rear had saved the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.