Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

The Walking Dead: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using Gas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that you can use Gas to
Walking Dead Rules p.4 wrote:
Gas: Use to either move through a space without
fighting zombies, OR move two unoccupied spaces
instead of one. You may use up to 3 per turn.

However the example on p.11 seems to show a single use of gas to move two spaces or to move both into and out of a space with a zombie (without fighting it). This seems to indicate that the use of gas should say:
Move two spaces, ignore any zombies in the first space of this movement.

Which is correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just move 2 spaces. As long as you don't finish your 2nd movement on a zombie space you are O.K.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My reading is that the gas resource allows you +1 space per gas resource used or move through one zombie occupied space using your normal movement.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Aguis
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Aging One wrote:
My reading is that the gas resource allows you +1 space per gas resource used or move through one zombie occupied space using your normal movement.


Use one gas to move OR one gas to move thru. This is correct. If you want to do both it costs one gas for each.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Use to move 2 open spaces or use to not fight a zombie.
So 2 moves to move through a single zombie space and on to an open space on the other side... using one gas.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Harms
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I am having an argument with some friends over the rules. Is it possible for a player to move two spaces into a space with a zombie and not fight that zombie by using two gas? i.e. use a gas to move two spaces then after moving one space,before entering the space with a zombie use a gas to avoid the fight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
Avatar
mbmbmb
beeLigerent wrote:
I am having an argument with some friends over the rules. Is it possible for a player to move two spaces into a space with a zombie and not fight that zombie by using two gas? i.e. use a gas to move two spaces then after moving one space,before entering the space with a zombie use a gas to avoid the fight.


In my personal interpretation of the rules, the key word is "through" in the rulebook. In a contextual way you are driving in a vehicle quickly through a zombie infested area thus avoiding a direct confrontation. The moment you stop the vehicle, if in a zombie infested hex, you are then subject to being attacked by the zombies because you are stationary. Just my two cents on the subject!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bennett
United States
Sturgeon Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
You can't use both bonuses of the gas on one move to get through a zombie infested area will cost you two moves and one gas. If you use gas to "escape" zombies you use one of your 3 moves to move onto the hex with the zombie token; spend your gas and then use another move to move onto an adjacent hex without having to fight but you don't get an extra move. at least thats how we have been playing

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Moreira
msg tools
As far as I understood from these Rules:
"Players may use gas to move an additional space during their turn, OR to move through a space occupied with a zombie token without encountering the zombies. Up to three gas tokens may be used per turn by a player.

-> Before each empty space of movement a player can declare that they are going to use gas token. If they do the player moves two empty spaces instead of one.

-> Before moving through a space with a zombie token on it, a player may declare they are going to use a gas token. If they do the player moves on to the space and does not have to fight those zombies, unless they end their turn on that space."

That red part made me think that you dont use one token to 'move to the space past the zombie', you use it to dont fight on that movement. If you use gas to avoid fight and still dont take another move, you WILL fight even spending gas.
If you spend 1 gas to avoid a fight, you still move up to 3 hexes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

We came upon a situation on our last game on how to use gas when combined to additional spaces and zombie tokens.

My question : is it possible to move 6 spaces (without any fights) by using 3 gas if the 4th and 5th spaces have zombie tokens on them ?

Reading the previous answers, I would think no, because you said to use 1 gas for moving 1 more space and 1 more if this additional space is occupied by zombies (in order to avoid the fight) and you will need to add another gas to finish your movement on a non-occupied space to avoid fighting...
Is that correct and are you sure about that ?

Because my thinking is as you use gas to move more than 3 spaces, you pass walkers without fighting them (as if you were in a car)...

Thanks for your answers !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys,
Any ideas or thoughts on my previous post please ?
Thanks a lot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Livett
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
The way we've played using fuel is that it's effectively leapfrogging on the map over one zombie space, so to do the kind of play you say Joffrey, you'd be leapfrogging over one zombie, but still landing on another, so you'd have to fight at least one.

Crude diagram:



Pausing on the red dots for each fuel being used.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Radaeron wrote:
The way we've played using fuel is that it's effectively leapfrogging on the map over one zombie space, so to do the kind of play you say Joffrey, you'd be leapfrogging over one zombie, but still landing on another, so you'd have to fight at least one.

Hey, nice picture Thanks for sharing your thoughts ! But see below, Im not sure the zombie leapfrogging is correct, it looks more like you use gas to move on a zombie hex without fighting it (except if it's your last move).

I had other discussions with friends on this, and based on the rules we find this previous post which looks well :
Gurahl wrote:
As far as I understood from these Rules:
"Players may use gas to move an additional space during their turn, OR to move through a space occupied with a zombie token without encountering the zombies. Up to three gas tokens may be used per turn by a player.
-> Before each empty space of movement a player can declare that they are going to use gas token. If they do the player moves two empty spaces instead of one.
-> Before moving through a space with a zombie token on it, a player may declare they are going to use a gas token. If they do the player moves on to the space and does not have to fight those zombies, unless they end their turn on that space.
"
That red part made me think that you dont use one token to 'move to the space past the zombie', you use it to dont fight on that movement. If you use gas to avoid fight and still dont take another move, you WILL fight even spending gas.
If you spend 1 gas to avoid a fight, you still move up to 3 hexes.


Based on this, it seems that we cant both use gas to move more than 3 hexes AND bypass zombies on the same turn. Or am I missinterpreting this ? What are your opinions on this ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Livett
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I'll admit, the way we've played isn't according to the rules. The group I play with are more casual gamers - to make it easier for everyone to understand we've just said "Gas = 2 spaces" compared to moving through zombies.

To follow the rules though, for your exact scenario, moving more than 3 hexes AND bypassing zombies is possible in the same turn. You declare exactly how you are using each unit of gas before taking your action, so you could do the following:

Move 1 - Declare gas to move through zombie
Move 2 - Declare gas to move 2 empty spaces
Move 3 - Declare gas to move 2 empty spaces

5 hexes moved, and no zombies fought

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Radaeron wrote:
To follow the rules though, for your exact scenario, moving more than 3 hexes AND bypassing zombies is possible in the same turn. You declare exactly how you are using each unit of gas before taking your action, so you could do the following:

Move 1 - Declare gas to move through zombie
Move 2 - Declare gas to move 2 empty spaces
Move 3 - Declare gas to move 2 empty spaces

5 hexes moved, and no zombies fought

OK now it makes sense! The key word I missed before was "empty spaces" I guess (before, we were also considering gas = 2 spaces, should have taken a better look to the rules...)
I also thought that the "OR" implied to use EITHER "move 2 empty spaces", EITHER "bypass zombies", but not both on the same turn. I guess I was wrong about this
Thanks for the clarification mate !
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.