Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb

Ascension is just no fun when played over days and days. Being in Australia makes it hard, but I'm not going to play another iOS game without a commitment to play the game in one sitting.

Playing over many days loses the rhythm of the game. Having to refresh logs to grasp what was done can't give you the full picture. The iOS implementation of this game is topnotch, but it can't do everything.

Anyone else having the same problems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
A little, but when you lock on, the game takes 10 minutes. If you feel like a game, you can find me at dalfau on GC. I have a lot of free time at the moment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
OH
flag msg tools
badge
fyeahgamesandgrub.tumblr.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play you whenever I can... though the 30 point ass whooping you handed me in our last game might be a little bit of a deterrent to start another game

in any case, you are easily one of the best players I've faced (in demoing, tournaments, or playtesting), so please take that as a compliment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Haha thanks guys but I wasn't really being specific. Our match was pretty brisk Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, with an Ipod Touch, the only place and time I can play online vs. people is when I'm at home with wifi. Because of this, if someone starts a game and decides to stop after a few turns, I'll wait up to 10 minutes for him to get back. Otherwise, I'll check in intermittedly until I go to sleep. After that, things will have to wait until evening when I get back from work.

Later on, I may get an Android phone to use its tethering ability to enable wifi on my IpT on-the-road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex, I think your comment really highlights how much further a 9 out of 10 app can go to be excellent. Many agree that this is an excellent app, but a perfect app would not create such frustrations in its player base. While some like CaptainCosmic and myself have pretty much gotten used to it, that should be no excuse for the experience of others. And if the devs for this game are interested in perfecting the experience even further, I would think this is a pretty good area to work on.

I think what's needed is some kind of feature that at a minimum can help fast and slow players find or look out for each other. What might be better is a a feature that allows rules options for game types that enforces pre-agreed time limits. What could be better still is an ranking system with ELOs so that punishments (like skip turn or auto-forfeit) in such games would actually mean a little something (to those that care at least).

I think there are many approaches to this problem, not just the ones I mention, so that all users can be accommodate in their preference and find like-minded opponents. Some might think this is unnecessary, but again it's a suggestion that I think would take this game from a 9 to a near 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
It does seem there is two camps. I don't like asynchronous play but I can see how its a boon for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like asynchronous play. But I prefer it to some other alternatives that other games use where if you lose your connection and can't get back on in a minimal timeline it counts as a forfeit. Also the nice thing is that if it goes to asynchronous play mode and you later by chance wind up both playing at the same time it goes right back to real time mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a valiant, pungent reindeer king
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmbmb
It really seems like there need to be two options for multiplayer. I'm asynchronous most of the time, but yesterday I joined two 1v1 games wanting to play right away and backed out after a few hours of them not starting. Sometimes I want one, sometimes the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainCosmic wrote:
Sigafoos wrote:
... but yesterday I joined two 1v1 games wanting to play right away ...

Most of the people who start games in the lobby are stone idiots.

Do it the other way around, and you'll have more success. Don't join other games; create your own games. Those that jump in usually are ready to play right away.

THIS. if i want to play 1:1 in real time, i first create a game, then look for games to join. 9 times out of 10, i join a game, the player never shows, then someone joins MY game eventually, i withdraw from the one i joined, and proceed to enjoy a real time battle. game on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.