Subject: A couple of questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alphonso De la Red
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing the Dol Goldur scenario, couple of questions came to my mind :

1- If we can dis-attach the objective cards, isn't it better to claim them when you have to (ex: end of the first stage) and after leave them in the staging area in order not to suffer all the negative effects they produce...? It is true that doing so, you have to bring your threat up twice, but it still seems better.

2-If, thanks to the Northern Tracker's ability for instance, a location card has the good amount of progress tokens on it in the staging area. Do you have to travel there or is it discarded ?

3- Does Glorfindel's ability apply to himself also ?

Thank you very much !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alphonso De la Red
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more question (this is not really a rule question, but anyway...).

I somehow can't use Denethor in an effective way. In what situations is it the best to pull his especial ability out of the hat ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arslan wrote:

1- If we can dis-attach the objective cards, isn't it better to claim them when you have to (ex: end of the first stage) and after leave them in the staging area in order not to suffer all the negative effects they produce...? It is true that doing so, you have to bring your threat up twice, but it still seems better.

2-If, thanks to the Northern Tracker's ability for instance, a location card has the good amount of progress tokens on it in the staging area. Do you have to travel there or is it discarded ?

Thank you very much !

1 - I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here. I thought once you claimed an objective, it was attached to a hero for the rest of the scenario.

2 - If the location has enough progress tokens on it, it is discarded.

3 - Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arslan wrote:

I somehow can't use Denethor in an effective way. In what situations is it the best to pull his especial ability out of the hat ?

In solo play, I typically hold Denethor back until the end of a stage. Then if I need him for defense, so be it. But if not, I use him to "preview" the encounter card that will come out next round. If it's a bad one, it gets sent to the bottom of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alphonso De la Red
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The objective cards say "if detached , return [me] to the staging area". So, my question could be : can we do it by choice or does this only happen when forced by card effect...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snailien
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Arslan wrote:
The objective cards say "if detached , return [me] to the staging area". So, my question could be : can we do it by choice or does this only happen when forced by card effect...?

You cannot choose to detach an attached card, but since those cards are restricted, you can play more restricted attachments to the attached hero. If an attached character has more than 2 restricted attachments, you must detach as many as required until you have no more than 2 attached to that character. Obviously this is not ideal, but it is one of the few ways to do it. There are other less savory methods that probably aren't really worth mentioning (like letting a card die or get discarded and then bringing it back via Fortune and Fate or the new AJtR eagle card, Landroval).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron G
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Arslan wrote:

Thank you very much !

1. You cannot choose to detach the objective cards, the reason that text is on the cards is so they do not go to the discard pile and make it impossible to win the scenario.

2. No, it is discarded from the staging are. The rules say that whenever a location has the required amount of progress tokens it is sent to the discard pile.

3. Yes, Glorfindel's ability says you can heal ANY character, if he could not heal himself it would say ANY OTHER character.

Arslan wrote:

Denthors main job is to be used for defense. If you do not need him to defend then you should use his power. The most effective way to use his power is to look at the threat level of the top card and see if you have enough willpower to beat that card in addition to whats in the staging area. It can also be used to avoid some of the nastier shadow cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alphonso De la Red
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.