Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I'd like to do this all viddy-like.

One thing I don't think I got to was that THE reason for
my accepting was to increase exposure. And that is a major
reason for picking HG - more people just absolutely HAVE
to see the style with which he presents these games.

He chose to give you a taste here, with his own bio:

Poll
Two truths and a lie
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
It is true that an early interest in quack biochemistry and comic books caused me to experiment with the effect that different combinations of ingredients I found in the kitchen had on my body. I believed, while alone, that, if I discovered the right combination of ingredients, I'd be able to teleport like my hero, Nightcrawler.
8.4% 7
It is also true that I was the youngest city commissioner on record in the town where I grew up. My only meaningful act was voting in favor of a Nazi.
37.3% 31
Furthermore, it is true that, with my child-hood teddy bear by my side for emotional support, I once was a professional wrestler. My specialty was falling down.
54.2% 45
Voters 83
This poll is now closed.   83 answers
Poll created by calandale
Closes: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:00 am

Finally, it is my duty to pry into his life with my own
questions:

How much preplanning do you put into your vids? They usually
do not seem terribly scripted, but the alignment of the
camera is nearly always expressing something perfectly.

You tell us you own a business - what kind of business is it?
How did you take that plunge?

How did you and your wife meet?

Do you want a cookie?

Enjoy your week (and one last vid spam):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on such a celebrated accolade.

I had no idea that as well as producing wargaming videos, calandale also did magic tricks btw...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Congratulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Hello Gregor!
Enjoy your week!
What's up with your profile?
Quote:
Causes of Extinction:
1. Smoke
2. Hemorrhaging
3. Pharmaceuticals
4. Loss of Habitat
5. Frigid Conditions
6. Discompassion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
Everyone likes a piece of pie.
badge
That's wonderful. Good for you! I've always wanted to have a haunted house. It's been my lifelong dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
If a robot was attractive enough, would you have sex with it?

What should I call you if I'm not into the whole brevity thing?

Finally, and most importantly:

Is you is or is you ain't my constituency?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Y
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello HelloGregor! Hurray!

My questions:
Which contained game, beside Innovation, is your favorite to play with physical people in the room?

What has been your favorite Real People game thus far?

Also, do you have an end date in mind for the RPMGST?

Knock 'em dead kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

Wow, do I feel under-dressed. I'll remedy that as soon as I get better clothes. I don't know how to take compliments gracefully, so, I'll just say thank you and hide my red face for a moment.
I spent most of that video wanting to refute your self-deprecating accolades, but will not do so on a point-by-point basis. I will say, however, that, in terms of letting soul shine through, I have much to learn from Sir Calandale.

Quote:

How much preplanning do you put into your vids?

It depends on what type of video is and the game in question. If it's a session video, the only preparation I actively engage in is to make sure I know how to play. Other than that, it's playing, so that's what I do. Of course, because of all the things in my life that keep me from playing all the time, I do spend time thinking about the game when I'm not able to play. Doing dishes and taking the boy on walks is great for that sort of thing.
If I'm doing a review, I spend a lot more time considering the game. The preparation is all in thinking and, again, all the time I spend not doing what I want were I alone all but forces me to do it that way. When it comes time to film, I just sort of go. Generally, I start with the first shot and then go from there. It's a process, a flow, and it has to be that way for me to want to do it. I appreciate scripted work, but, for me, the moment I have it scripted, if I'm able to enact it in accordance with the script, it stops being interesting. The act of filming, like the act of doing anything, is a compromise with the moment and the material, and, thus, something is created that is unplanned- which harkens to why I game in the first place; it creates a story that I didn't plan, but that I can participate in.
As such, sometimes I don't enjoy the product as much as other times- just as I don't enjoy some decisions I've made in life as much as others- but it's still interesting to me to see what comes out.

Quote:

You tell us you own a business - what kind of business is it?
How did you take that plunge?

My family owns a childcare. It's something my wife, Nellie, and I wanted to do for a long time. So, we did it. We did the research into starting a business and then did what we had to. There's a lot of regulations and hoops to jump through, which, along with the dreams and ways you want things to be, sort of ends up being the road-map to getting it done. Childcare's a pretty big need, and, so long as you don't require much money, it's an easy field to get into.

Quote:
How did you and your wife meet?

She was my boss. I found that, and her, very attractive. We started sneaking around so as not to appear unprofessional. I quit the job and we got married.

Quote:
Do you want a cookie?

Maybe, it depends. Sugar can make me feel bad, and demonic sugar can make me feel REALLY bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:

My question for you: You mentioned that you enjoy combining games. Would you do something like combining Princess, and Outdoor Survival to create a really cool narrative? Can you think of other deranged combinations that you might cook up and record on video?

Yes! As part of the Real People Multi-Game Solitaire Mega Tournament, I'll be combining a few games. Currently, I've combined U.S. Patent No. 1 and Chrononauts in the classical sense. I think those might be the only ones connected outside of scoring and narrative. Other games in the tournament are more loosely bound. For example, Gheos and Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game are going to be played simultaneously, but their connection is only going to be via the scoring, rather than a true melding of the games.

Quote:
p.s. my wife and I just watched your highly enjoyable intro video, and you when you got to the part about mind sparkles and how gaming makes the brain tickle, she turned to me and said "So that's why you game!" So true!

That is wonderful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
Oh, and that knock on the door in the middle of Enrico's vid? That was him receiving his big fat GotW check.

I was hoping it was one of his packages. Tell us Calandale, did the Post Office finally come through?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
Congrats, Hello Gregor!
Enjoy your week!
What's up with your profile?
Quote:
Causes of Extinction:
1. Smoke
2. Hemorrhaging
3. Pharmaceuticals
4. Loss of Habitat
5. Frigid Conditions
6. Discompassion

Thanks! That's something I wrote that made me giggle while using a brainwave synchronizer- save the last item was added by my wife (using an unaltered beta frequency, I think). I was clearing out an old notebook and found the scrap. I thought I should have something on my profile and I didn't want to lose the amusing list, so I murdered both birds with a boomerang sling-shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Benjro wrote:
If a robot was attractive enough, would you have sex with it?

It depends, would that be considered adultery or masturbation? My wife is really into the whole physical monogamy thing and I've got a good thing going here. I wouldn't want to mess it up just to pleasure some machine...

Quote:

What should I call you if I'm not into the whole brevity thing?

You can call me what you want, just don't call me late for dinner! Boy, do I love to eat! Yum!

Quote:

Is you is or is you ain't my constituency?

I don't know. I don't know you very well. Are you, per chance, a robot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hello Gregor wrote:

I don't know how to take compliments gracefully, so, I'll just say thank you and hide my red face for a moment.

Shoulda vidded it!

Quote:
I spent most of that video wanting to refute your self-deprecating accolades, but will not do so on a point-by-point basis.

I'm too practiced for you?

Quote:
It depends on what type of video is and the game in question. If it's a session video, the only preparation I actively engage in is to make sure I know how to play.

Doesn't that strike you as a bit extreme?

Quote:
... taking the boy on walks is great for that sort of thing.

Do you have one of them halter/leash things?

What's your view on them?

Quote:
If I'm doing a review, I spend a lot more time considering the game. The preparation is all in thinking and, again, all the time I spend not doing what I want were I alone all but forces me to do it that way. When it comes time to film, I just sort of go. Generally, I start with the first shot and then go from there. It's a process, a flow, and it has to be that way for me to want to do it. I appreciate scripted work, but, for me, the moment I have it scripted, if I'm able to enact it in accordance with the script, it stops being interesting. The act of filming, like the act of doing anything, is a compromise with the moment and the material, and, thus, something is created that is unplanned- which harkens to why I game in the first place; it creates a story that I didn't plan, but that I can participate in.
As such, sometimes I don't enjoy the product as much as other times- just as I don't enjoy some decisions I've made in life as much as others- but it's still interesting to me to see what comes out.

Don't give up the thinking - I think it's necessary for the
style you impart. Combining natural speech (unscripted) with
well laid out thoughts.

Quote:
My family owns a childcare. It's something my wife, Nellie, and I wanted to do for a long time. So, we did it. We did the research into starting a business and then did what we had to. There's a lot of regulations and hoops to jump through, which, along with the dreams and ways you want things to be, sort of ends up being the road-map to getting it done. Childcare's a pretty big need, and, so long as you don't require much money, it's an easy field to get into.

Why do you like children?

What kinds of regulations do you face to ensure that
the children aren't being abused? Spot checking physical
conditions seems easy, but how does the government make
sure that they don't end up with someone like me opening
up a child care?

Quote:
She was my boss. I found that, and her, very attractive. We started sneaking around so as not to appear unprofessional. I quit the job and we got married.

Did she hire you? Was there an immediate quid pro quo (been there)?
Is honesty unprofessional? What kind of job was it? Does marriage
ruin everything?

Quote:

Maybe, it depends. Sugar can make me feel bad, and demonic sugar can make me feel REALLY bad.

Do you like feeling bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rockinghorsedreams wrote:
Hello HelloGregor! Hurray!

Hi Rocking Horse Dreams! Look! I'm Geek of the Week!

Quote:

Which contained game, beside Innovation, is your favorite to play with physical people in the room?

Favorites are really hard for me, as they depend on so many different factors and are so momentary. Games are, in some ways, instructions for an experience, so it kind of depends on what kind of experience I want at a given time. Also, one thing I enjoy about games is exploration, so the answer could be one of the ones I haven't played yet, but then, I don't really enjoy learning games with most people- it's something I prefer to do alone (unless they know the game well, but I can't remember that happening with a game I really wanted to learn). So, sticking with games I know, it'll have to depend, again, on the people. The experience one has depends on those playing, their mood, the time available, the setting, a bunch of things. As gaming takes place in the world, games like Innovation or Princess work better for me as they don't take so long and are easy to teach. I would love to play a game that takes longer and is meatier with people who have the attention span and the desire to join me- as well as the time to play it, but that hasn't happened very often- outside of the roleplaying realm. Hence, our awesome Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner sessions.
Oh, Dixit is a ton of fun with actual people and requires them, in my opinion. I'd love to play any of the games I play solitaire with the right people, however.

Quote:
What has been your favorite Real People game thus far?

Shogun will always have a special place in my heart as it's the first one I videoed and, thus, the first one I kind of remember well (I used the cards before that, but the memory is not so retentive.) The way the turns were defined in that game really helped me to explore the characters in a more thorough way than the subsequent Real People games. I became rather attached to Fries.
I rather enjoyed Middle-Earth Quest in terms of linear narrative and feeling of dramatic weight. The feeling of play was more grandiose- I felt like play was accompanied by timpanis.

Quote:
Also, do you have an end date in mind for the RPMGST?

I have no idea. I'm thinking it will take a couple of years, at least, although the work situation is changing to allow me more personal time. Some of the games I have to learn first and there are reviews to do in between sessions. And then I have to do unimportant things like earn a living and eating and rearing my son in my image.

Quote:
Knock 'em dead kid.

I plan to as soon as I get to the Outdoor Survival portion of the tournament. All these beloved characters. Dying slowly. How better to generate pathos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Greg! I hope this week is a blast for you.

So here are my questions for you:
- What are the top 3 games that you'd like to play if given the chance that you haven't played yet?
- I see that you haven't currently ranked any games on this site. Is this deliberate, or do you think you'll get around to it one of these days?
- Here are a few questions about DOA: I see that you rate Duel of Ages as your 2nd favorite game. How did you first hear about this game? Have you played any of the expansions, and if so, how do you like them? What about this game makes it better than the other games you've played (except for your number 1 game: Dixit)?
- What's the best thing about living in Tumwater?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Hello Gregor Gregor (is there an echo in here?), and congrats.

Can you distill your intro video into a couple of paras for those of us with short attention spans that prefer to read than watch?

What is the grossest thing you have ever videotaped?

Does the word "videotaped" make any sense in a digital environment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

Do you have one of them halter/leash things?

What's your view on them?

I use a stroller most of the time. I would say that, in terms of control over the other, the stroller is more extreme than the leash. The leash may appear harsher, however, due to associations with slavery and animals. I don't think there's anything wrong with leashes, so long as there's either consent or one party (in this case, a toddler) is in danger of hurting himself or getting lost without the restraint.

Quote:
Why do you like children?

I don't like all children anymore than I like all humans. They do tend, as a group, to be more enjoyable to be around than adults, however. They haven't messed themselves up yet by trying to adhere to a faulty culture- they, as a group, tend to be more honest and small talk is more likely to consist of a contorted face than babbling about uninteresting topics. I also find I can relax more in the company of kids than adults. I tend to perseverate and make up songs and I can do that without comment in the company of children. Individually speaking, however, adults offer things kids don't. Although you may be surprised about what sorts of topics some kids are able to discuss, there are certain things, like whether robot sex is adultery or not that are probably best not to broach with children. Further, with the exception of Princess and certain sublimely interactive pretend play, adult games are more fun for me.

Quote:
What kinds of regulations do you face to ensure that
the children aren't being abused? Spot checking physical
conditions seems easy, but how does the government make
sure that they don't end up with someone like me opening
up a child care?

It varies state by state and, even in Washington where childcare is fairly firmly regulated, there are a lot off childcares which aren't regulated at all. The only thing stopping you from caring for children would be getting clientele. Child abuse is frequent and rampant. In licensed child cares, the state government sends people to check how things are, but it is infrequent. Initial licensing requires certain physical conditions- environmental safety stuff, and ample square footage for child use. They also do background checks. Other than that, the main thing that prevents child abuse (beyond personal decisions) is social stigma. Child abuse claims are taken very seriously and it is something of a guilty until proven innocent and then you have no business kind of thing. Whee!

Quote:
Did she hire you? Was there an immediate quid pro quo (been there)?
Is honesty unprofessional? What kind of job was it? Does marriage
ruin everything?

She did hire me- I was wearing a cool hat at the time. I think being liked probably does help in any job. If your boss likes you, it's easier. I didn't get any sort of raise or anything, although she would give me rides to work.
Honesty is unprofessional, yes. We get paid to lie. On the other hand, because of our relationship, I was able to be honest with her and I think it may've helped her see certain things that a manager may've otherwise not seen.
It was a childcare job- I ran a before and after school program, one of many that she supervised.
Marriage changes many things- some things end, other things become more possible.

Quote:

Do you like feeling bad?

It depends what you mean by bad. I don't enjoy the bad feeling that sugar gives me- it's an empty badness, if that makes sense. I do enjoy sadness sometimes and, I believe, things like anger fuel themselves- enjoy themselves, so to speak. I think that if I was happy all the time I would still feel bad, only, bad would be a different degree of happy. From the peak of bliss, feeling okay is bad. I enjoy that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Rastapopoulos
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, Hello Gregor. Here are some questions I have:

1. Aside from your loved ones and the children you look after, what are a couple of things that you really care about?

2. What is your favorite platonic solid?

3. Does pretty have a reason, or is it just pretty?

4. If you found yourself host to a painless botfly larva, would you allow it to make use a golf-ball sized portion of your body to reach maturity and fly away happy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hello Gregor wrote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with leashes, so long as there's either consent or one party (in this case, a toddler) is in danger of hurting himself or getting lost without the restraint.

Why should consent matter? I mean,
if you desire it, isn't it already
'good' and thus you needn't worry about
other's opinions?

Quote:
Further, with the exception of Princess and certain sublimely interactive pretend play, adult games are more fun for me.

At what age do you think it's appropriate for children to
play 'adult' games?

Quote:
Other than that, the main thing that prevents child abuse (beyond personal decisions) is social stigma.

They don't consider it a legal no-no?

Quote:
Honesty is unprofessional, yes. We get paid to lie.

I suck at work.

Quote:
On the other hand, because of our relationship... I think it may've helped her see certain things that a manager may've otherwise not seen.

No doubt.

Quote:
It was a childcare job- I ran a before and after school program, one of many that she supervised.
Marriage changes many things- some things end, other things become more possible.

Why is it okay that you are working together now,
but wasn't, if you were married, not in business together?

Quote:
It depends what you mean by bad. I don't enjoy the bad feeling that sugar gives me- it's an empty badness, if that makes sense.

Did you watch television as a child?
I thought we're all supposed to be taught
that there's sugary goodness.

Quote:
I do enjoy sadness sometimes and, I believe, things like anger fuel themselves- enjoy themselves, so to speak. I think that if I was happy all the time I would still feel bad, only, bad would be a different degree of happy. From the peak of bliss, feeling okay is bad. I enjoy that.

Sometimes, our thoughts are too alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fehrmeister wrote:

- What are the top 3 games that you'd like to play if given the chance that you haven't played yet?

Thanks, Fehrmeister (is that like Stair Master?) That is a tough question. I could more easily choose from games I have. That limit may help me answer such a difficult question. I'll do that. Here I Stand, Animal Farm, and... how about one I don't own... Granny's House.
Quote:
- I see that you haven't currently ranked any games on this site. Is this deliberate, or do you think you'll get around to it one of these days?

I did have most of my games ranked but I got rid of the ranking. My opinions are always changing moment to moment and game plays themselves are influenced by the people involved and the mood I am in. I found I kept wanting to change my rankings and it was way too time consuming so I got rid of them.
Quote:

- Here are a few questions about DOA: I see that you rate Duel of Ages as your 2nd favorite game. How did you first hear about this game? Have you played any of the expansions, and if so, how do you like them? What about this game makes it better than the other games you've played (except for your number 1 game: Dixit)?

Hee! Before I read this question, I got rid of my top 10 as well. Although it did contain games I like, it was meaningless. I think as I become a mature gamer, I may be able to rank games again down the road. My tastes are still very much in flux.
Anyway, onto Duel of Ages! When I started on this website, I looked at a lot of geeklists and read about a lot of games. Duel of Ages came up a few times and I liked what I read. So, I bought Set 1: Worldspanner and played it over and over again solo. This, being the addictive sort, naturally led to buying all the expansions. I was fortunate in that I was able to get them all second hand in one fell swoop by investigating the folk who had them for trade on www.boardgamegeek.com. One of them was willing to sell me sets 2-8 along with the Scrye and that other special expansion. I enjoy playing with all the sets, but haven't had near as many plays yet as I have with the base set (due to all the reviewing and sessioning of other games...) I like the bases, the platters added, and, of course, the characters and cards added. Certain adventure keys see more use than others, but I'm glad I have them all. Of the smaller expansions, it's hard for me to say which ones I like best because they're all mixed together.
I can't say Duel of Ages is better or more enjoyable than the other games I've played. I do consistently have a lot of fun with it, however. I think the variable theme- the large mix of characters coupled with a lack of descriptive art and a competitive atmosphere allows for and prompts some great internal storytelling. As I allude to in my review, I spent a lot of time playing with mismatched action figures growing up and this game simulates that feeling quite nicely.
Quote:
- What's the best thing about living in Tumwater?

I can really only answer that comparatively. It's climate is more tolerant of humans than Iowa. It is more pedestrian friendly than Tennessee. It's cheaper than Seattle. Plus! Oooh, okay, I have the best thing, I have a great view of the state capitol about a block from my house. The second largest stone domed structure in the world! Thank you The Masons!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
How did you escape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Can you distill your intro video into a couple of paras for those of us with short attention spans that prefer to read than watch?

I don't remember it that well and I don't really want to watch it so, I'll comment on what I remember. I believe it began with me talking about my game room and wondering how I got to have a game room. Then, I went into my son's room and I had to be fast because he was getting fed and was due to go to bed after feeding. I had to hurry and tape and I don't remember what I talked about. I think the rest of the video is me standing in front of different bookshelves talking about games and why I game. At the end, I mention Innovation and brain sparkle.

Quote:
What is the grossest thing you have ever videotaped?

Probably something in high school. Teens are disgusting.

Quote:
Does the word "videotaped" make any sense in a digital environment?

It does in that I can type it and you know what I mean. We're witnessing the beginning of an etymology. Years from now, the dawn of this word will be the stuff of trivia. When we are older, we will school the younglings in origins of this nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that calandale went out as the GotW and he came back a 'changed man'.

Greetings and felicitations to Greg!

Enjoy your week under the microscope in the spotlight. Prepare to be very busy, though as a 'childcare professional' that should not be a new experience to you.

I'm not much of a kid person, and anyone who chooses to become a parent has my profound respect (and my accompanying doubts for their sanity). The thought of taking in other people's children to care for is, to my way of thinking, grounds for commitment to some sort of place where the walls are soft and everything can be eaten with spoons. Which, now that I think about it, sounds something like a childcare facility. meeple

How do you do it? Are you the soul of patience? What is it, aside from the threat of prison, about the kids that keeps you from clubbing them like baby seals when they act up? angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tamburlain wrote:

1. Aside from your loved ones and the children you look after, what are a couple of things that you really care about?

I take care to mean things I spend time thinking about. I care about my games. I care about the way the world is and the way the world could be. I care about ideas. I care about the weather. I care about Fries (not sure if he's a loved one...) I care about connections. I care about my bowels. I care about food. I care about platonic solids.

Quote:

2. What is your favorite platonic solid?

Maybe the four sided die?

Quote:
3. Does pretty have a reason, or is it just pretty?

Good question! I think reason can be pretty, but it can also be pretty ugly. Pretty can soothe the eyes and relaxation is a valid purpose. Or else, does my pillow have a reason? I don't believe pretty is a valid cause for devotion (personally- I'm wrong too often to make suggestions for others.) I find people to be prettier who have a reason.

Quote:
4. If you found yourself host to a painless botfly larva, would you allow it to make use a golf-ball sized portion of your body to reach maturity and fly away happy?

I wrote a song about a similar theme when I was a teen. Here are the words:
Mosquito flew to my hand
So I brushed it away
I could've spared the blood
Still I brushed it away
I reasoned I don't really want it to live
Then I thought
Why not?
It never hurt me more than through annoyance
It'd hurt me more to watch it die
I fancy myself an annoyance
Still no one has watched me die
At the risk of being a bug-boy I continue my though
If I were to deny her life to avoid itch on my arms
What would stop me from denying it all?
Tuna for my cats
Ravioli for Mike Hays?

It's alright, it's okay
I've blood enough for them all
When I begin to run out I'll brush them away
Until I have a kid

End song

I have a kid now, so that would make me think I wouldn't allow the larva. Is the larva annoying or an inconvenience at all? Does it create some protrusion that would get in my way? I think it may depend on my mood at the time of its implantation. I'd have to get over the kneejerk urge to swat away any foreign creature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
How did you escape?

When FiberMuffins was convinced that his/her threat had done the trick and I'd been sufficiently cowed, I changed my name to Greg Davies and became a board game reviewer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
I'd like to do this all viddy-like.

Is it just me, or is Enrico even scarier like this? wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.