Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried this? I just got a bunch of the painted minis, and I really like them a lot, but now it makes the minions look bland. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I painted all my minions. Just basic colors and then an ink wash. It took me about 4 hours. I think they turned out pretty nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap!

I lack painting skills of any kind, I wonder if I could do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not too tough, just a little time consuming.

Here is a good painting guide:
The Dip Method

This geeklist has a lot of good suggestions.

Here are the condensed steps.

1) Wash the figures.

They use a waxy agent to get the miniatures to release from the molds and paint does not like to stick to it. Wash in warm soapy water, rinse and let dry.

2) Trim flash.

Sometimes there are imperfections to the miniature. This can be trimmed away with an razor blade.

3) Set up your work area

At this point I get the miniatures ready to paint. I usually put a small amount of silicone sealant (comes in a tube for calking bathrooms) on the head of a nail. I then push the figure's base onto the nail to attach it. Silicone sticks well enough, but is really easy to pull off once the painting is done. I stick the miniatures with nails into a piece of styrofoam when I'm not working on them.

4) Prime the figure.

Paint sticks better to a primed figure. I use a matt black Krylon spray paint.

5) Paint the figures.

Paint broad colors. No real need to get too detailed with this method just paint the major areas. Use a brighter color than what you think you should as the dip/ink wash will darken the entire figure.

I use cheap Apple Barrel paints found in your local craft store. Some people wouldn't be caught dead using these cheap paints and prefer to spend some bank buying Citadel or Valejo paints. Each to his own. I'm happy with the results from the cheap stuff.

6) Dip/Ink wash the figures.

I have had good success using minwax golden oak wood finish. I dip the figure in the stain then spin the excess off by spinning the nail between my thumb and forefinger. I do this into a trash can with the miniature upside down. This avoids a mess and keeps the wife happy.

Put the miniature back to it's styrofoam home and let it dry. Check on it after a bit and see if too much of the stain has accumulated in areas. Use a paper towel to soak up excess unwanted stain.

7) Add some highlights.

Pick a couple of points to highlight. This will make the figure "pop". This is when I will paint eyes, weapons, etc.

8) Seal the figure.

There are a number of good sealants out there. Some are spray others brush on. I use a cheap acrylic brush on varnish made by DecoArt called Dura Clear Matte Varnish also found in the craft store right next to those Apple Barrel paints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For these minions I skipped steps 2, 3, 4, 7 and 8. As I wanted to get them done quick and dirty.

I wasn't too worried about them staying perfect. So, I didn't prime or seal them. So far the paint is still sticking fine. Just make sure and wash them. This step is important!

I just store them in a jumble in the box and I haven't noticed any paint rubbing off yet.

I didn't want to lose the color of the base on the plastic miniature and didn't want to take the time to repaint it after priming so I left the base bare.

I painted the cloaks, faces, and swords base colors. Then I added a wash made from watered down black paint to bring out the details. I wiped any wash or paint from the base before it dried. Finally, I dry brushed some highlights to the cloaks. Dry brushing is where you take some paint onto your brush and then use a towel to wipe as much paint off the brush as you can. You'll be left with a tiny amount of paint on the brush. Brush the figure almost as if you were dusting it and some of that paint will transfer to the high points of the miniature.

There are 100 minions. I spent about 2 or 3 minutes on each one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaworu17 wrote:
Holy crap!

I lack painting skills of any kind, I wonder if I could do this.

You can do it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Icesun
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turtleback wrote:

I painted all my minions. Just basic colors and then an ink wash. It took me about 4 hours. I think they turned out pretty nice.

They look really awesome, I'm really impressed! It makes me want to buy paint and brushes! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.