Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a Solatube? It's a tube that sticks through your roof into your ceiling. I'm going to assume that fiber optics are involved, but basically through the magic of Science, dangerous Space Photons are converted into harmless household light. Solatube is a brand name, but other products do the same thing.

How long do they take to install? A couple hours per. I guess you could do-it-yourself, but then I'd think you were an idiot.

What's the end result? A porthole in your ceiling with light coming out of it. Unlike a skylight, you can't see out of it, and it does not get hot. The amount of light coming out is in direct proportion to the outside light. The moon can beam light inside.

Any surprises? They are really, really bright. The light is really white, and looks surprisingly artificial, which is a real irony. In an enclosed area I'd call it Kubrickesque (2001, not Barry Lyndon). It's possible to get model that will prevent light from entering by being controlled by a switch. I would not under any circumstances install one of these in a bedroom unless it has the switch.

How much dinero? We paid about $450 each for the basic ones, and $850 for the ones with the switch. This was part of a larger roof project, and insurance was involved, so there could be many layers of wonkiness.

Do they leak energy from your house? Dunno. Good question.

Will your attic or ceiling leak water? They aren't supposed to.

Any closing remarks? Ultimately they are powered by nuclear energy, so there's always that to worry about, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
...through the magic of Science

Call it what it is...witchcraft!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um... can they be installed in the wall instead. Or the floor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
I would pay good money for a switch that would make the sun shine out of the toilet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
HiveGod wrote:
I would pay good money for a switch that would make the sun shine out of the toilet.

What for? The sun already shines out of your ass.

//Couldn't resist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
And the low-tech version:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot this: If it's night, and your inside lights are on, you will have glowing onion-bulb thingies on your roof. Me likey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You could even add 'food coloring' to enhance "ambiance" and I wonder if that 'lava'-stuff were able to become "activated" though this somehow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heron Abroad
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great! I was just thinking this past week how nice it would be to install one of these in our upstairs hallway, which is terribly dark if all the doors up there are shut.

We do need to get the roof re-done sometime, but I don't know if I'd want to spend that much on it. Thanks for sharing your experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
HeronAbroad wrote:
This is great! I was just thinking this past week how nice it would be to install one of these in our upstairs hallway, which is terribly dark if all the doors up there are shut.

We do need to get the roof re-done sometime, but I don't know if I'd want to spend that much on it. Thanks for sharing your experience!
That's why I posted! I figured someone else might be thinking about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
Any surprises? They are really, really bright. The light is really white, and looks surprisingly artificial, which is a real irony. In an enclosed area I'd call it Kubrickesque (2001, not Barry Lyndon). It's possible to get model that will prevent light from entering by being controlled by a switch. I would not under any circumstances install one of these in a bedroom unless it has the switch.

I assume - to complete the effect - you've re-painted all your walls, floors, and ceilings pure white? Oh, and then there is the furniture, too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
What's a Solatube? It's a tube that sticks through your roof into your ceiling. I'm going to assume that fiber optics are involved, but basically through the magic of Science, dangerous Space Photons are converted into harmless household light. Solatube is a brand name, but other products do the same thing.

How long do they take to install? A couple hours per. I guess you could do-it-yourself, but then I'd think you were an idiot.

What's the end result? A porthole in your ceiling with light coming out of it. Unlike a skylight, you can't see out of it, and it does not get hot. The amount of light coming out is in direct proportion to the outside light. The moon can beam light inside.

How much dinero? We paid about $450 each for the basic ones, and $850 for the ones with the switch. This was part of a larger roof project, and insurance was involved, so there could be many layers of wonkiness.

Do they leak energy from your house? Dunno. Good question.

Will your attic or ceiling leak water? They aren't supposed to.

Any closing remarks? Ultimately they are powered by nuclear energy, so there's always that to worry about, I guess.

I used to work for a roofing company that sold these. There are no fiber optics involved. The light that comes from them is just sunlight that gets reflected down a tube (some are flexible like a dryer vent, others are not depending on the manufacturer). The work really well and are easily installed - especially when replacing a roof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.