No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hornet Leader: IRAN 2014
Short USMC Campaign (Day 4 of 5)

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

*for a complete description about this campaign and starting pilots selection and the previous days session reports, please refer to :

Day 1 Mission (primary & secondary) :
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/693468/hornet-leader-short-c...

Day 2 Mission (primary & secondary) :
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/693909/hornet-leader-short-c...

Day 3 Mission (primary only) :
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/694594/hornet-leader-short-c...

Day 4 Mission (primary only) :
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7387733

Day 5 Mission (primary only) :
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/694865/hornet-leader-short-c...

DAY 4 PRIMARY

PRIMARY TARGET : (38) NUCLEAR POWER PLANT (Stress +3 , Hardened , Fixed)
IMPROVEMENT : n/
STAT : HIT=8 , VP=5 , INTEL=2 , INFRA=2
[/u]

* Target Area Range Band , -2 WP, +2 Stress

This is it, the Iranian Nuclear Reactor Complex, a secret complex hidden from our satellite , ELINT and HUMINT assets. The site is hardened from air attacks and we need to destroy it without causing a massive fallout from the resulting radiation. We need to hit it carefully so the reactor dome collapsed upon itself and buried the core underneath tons of concrete rubble.

*Primary Target

Another one of those HARDENED target (penalty -1 HITs per weapon counter). This is going to be hard and this mission will cause 5 stress to my pilots (+2 Stress from Range Band Penalty and +3 Stress from Target Penalty). But with its 5 VP and +1 VP bonus (since this is considered a HIGH VALUE target) , a success of this mission will net us +6 VP.

A look at the CAMPAIGN TRACK:INFRA show the iranian infrastructure damage, we dont have inflict 11 HITS but we only need 7 HITS total for this target and all following targets.

*Tactical Display showing Enemies (Bandit enemies spawned at the Target-Bound Phase)

ARMING / WEAPONS LOADOUT :

im NOT taking a chance for a target this critical, i will use 3xF35 for this mission, ignoring Air to Air combat and focusing on weapon drop on target. There is no question the right weapon for this job is GBU-31 (capable of inflicting 4 HIT max, 3 HIT max with HARDENED penalty). To maximize my strike group's weapon load capacity, i will use the Aerial Refueling option. This is the DEFINITE mission, nothing will be spared for this mission's success

My Strike group for this target consists of :
- PYRO (Flight Leader , Average F35, +1 AtA +1 AtG) , 2xGBU31, 1xAIM9
- MEATBALL (Average F35, +1 AtA +1 AtG) , 2xGBU31, 1xGBU38
- SALSA (Average F35, +1 AtA + AtG) , 2xGBU31, 1xAIM9

My current SO = 16. i spend :
- 3 SO (Aerial Refueling)
- 12 SO (JDAM option)
- I got free 8 SO (Daily) for special weapon usage.

TOTAL = 7 SO spent , Unused SO = 9

This is another 6 Plane mission and again im confident i can do this with 3xF35. Stealh Rules the sky over Persia..

*Pilot Selection and Ordnance Loadout

TARGET-BOUND FLIGHT :

At Target bound flight, I got a 'AAA' Event Card. The AAA want to attack my F35 2 times, so i roll a stealh check and successfully avoid the attack.

Based on the Site Defense, i approached from West Stand-off Area.. there's no enemy to contest my flight which will drop the JDAM at range:1 from Center Area.

Bandits showed up and this time its a hornet's nest.. there is 6 fighters flying around but lucky for my strike group, there is no bandit at the West Approach.

Overtarget i draw "HUMAN FACTOR: Rotate sites in approach area , 1 area counter clockwise". This doesnt change things , all im facing at West Approach is just another AAA that can only shoot LOW flying planes...

* Tactical Display showing events before TURN#1

OVER-TARGET TURN #1

Since there is no Air Defense site and Bandits at WEST area , my strike group fly unmolested towards the center area..

* Tactical Display showing events before TURN#2

OVER-TARGET TURN #2

Again there is nothing that can threaten my flight, but i also cannot launch my JDAM at this range, i need to get closer to the center area..

*Tactical Display showing the state of board before TURN#3

OVER-TARGET TURN #3

With my strike group in range, everyone dropped all their AtG weapons in sequence :
- PYRO (Average , +1 AtG) drop 2xGBU-31 and scored 1 HIT , 1 HIT
- MEATBALL (Average , +1 AtG) drop 2xGBU-31 and scored 2 HIT , 1 HIT
- SALSA (Average) drop 2xGBU-31 , 1xGBU-38 and scored 2 HIT , 2 HIT , 1 HIT

Thats a total of 10 HITs on target and i only need 7 HITs. so mission accomplished with Hits to spare. If i bring only 2xF35 there is a big chance that i wont get 7 HITs with 2xF35. Looking back at PYRO and MEATBALL , both got +1 AtG skill, their combined HITs are only 5 , not enough to destroy the target. So bringing more ordnance than neccessary are the 1st lesson i learned in this campaign =D..

REACTOR GOES CRITICAL... MELT DOWN !!

*Tactical Display showing Target Hits and Weapon Expended

HOME-BOUND EVENT:

I drew a "GOOD BRIEFING : Move any 1 Campaign Track to the RIGHT". Very nice event card to close this successfull mission..

* from LEFT to RIGHT : Target-Bound Event, Over Target Event, Home-Bound Event

DEBRIEFING :

- Everyone got 2 XP and +5 Stress (+2 from Range Band penalty, +3 from Target Penalty)
- I got 6 VP for this mission and 2 Intel , 2 Infra

SCORE : 22 VP

*Campaign VP Rating

Lesson Learned today : Always apply the previous LESSON LEARNED =D

MISSION LOG :

NOTES :

Seems like every mission is easy when enemy cant see you.. its almost like cheating bringing F35 into fights. Even after an R&R (Rest and Recuperation) at the end of day 3 , by the end of day 4 only half of my squadron is ready to fight. Three F35 pilot (Pyro, Meatball and Salsa) got stressed bad from the last mission (7 Stress each). So i forgo the secondary mission for day 4 even if 5 of my pilots are ready. its not worth taking a risk as tomorrow is the last day of the campaign and i need the pilots fresh and ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Cote
United States
Central Village
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Hornet Leader (Short) Campaign , IRAN 2014 (Day 4 of 5) : 4xF35 and 4xAV8B
Thumbed and tipped. Thanks for the great AARs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
What a hell of a session for a hell of a game! Thanks for sharing and have a tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the support , Glen & JK !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stéphane laumond
msg tools
Thanks Denny for these detailled campaign reports.

I'm newbie on this game and I've learned a lot through your posts.

Nevertheless, I've a question regarding this mission Day 4.

Why the bandits didn't move towards your strike group ?

Why SAM 11's didn't fire at you as you are at range 3 or less ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Stef
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hi i forgot , havent play this game for long time..

maybe its because i use stealth f-35 with stealth rules.. hehe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stéphane laumond
msg tools
Thx for your reply Denny. I haven't played yet with F-35's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.