Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like every other gamer, I have been waiting for all the new GenCon releases to hit stores. I got Rune Age at WBC, not bad...I got Quarriors, ok...still waiting for Elder Sign, mixed reviews...but the other day I went to my FLGS just as the packages were being opened and out popped GoW. I had heard mixed reviews on the game, but I wanted a dudes in a corridor game and I wanted solo play, so I gave it a shot.

I just played my first solo game. I love this game!! First, it implements AI better than any other game I have played. I like the Ravenloft, etc. stuff, but I find the AI a little boring and the game never really makes me feel the experience. In GofW, the AI is a great tension/theme builder.

Second, I love this game because it scales so well. Often playing these type of games solo means controlling four characters, etc. This is ok, but it is a lot of management for one player. In this game you can solo with one character and it works great!!! I may try the one non solo scenario with multiple characters, but the rest will be played with one guy. This also means that each scenario can be played with a different character each time increasing replay value. Also, when I do play the game with more people it will have an entirely different feel, again helping replayability. I know replay value has been a criticism of the game, but the variability of characters in solo, the group play option and variation required by the set up and AI deck randomness alleviates this criticism for me. Of course, I do believe the game will benefit from FFG POD expansions, like MoM. A few new cards, a new locust race, a new scenario, easy to enrich the base game.

The Third reason I love this game is because of the cover feature. This is truly innovative and adds tremendously to the thematic feel of the game. You actually feel like you are darting into a room and ducking behind a wall, poking your head up and firing at the locust horde. It is implemented in a simple manner, but it adds tons to the game. I never played the video game, but it gives a bit of a video game feel in a board game. Genius design.

The fourth reason I love this game is that it scratches the dudes in the corridor itch for me. The theme is there and it is thick. The story works and I have no prior knowledge of this universe. It just works. It also does it with a minimum level of rules. It is streamlined, quick and fun. I mean this may be the most elegant and playable FFG title that I encountered. The lack of downtime and the ability to interrupt the AI turn is great. The use of cards for resources, life and reaction abilities is incredibly fun and efficient. This is an underrated achievement by FFG. The way you layout the locusts in ABC fashion is also smart.

The fifth reason I love this game is the minis! I like Forlorn Hope, but I am a sucker for minis. This game has great components. It adds to the thematic feel of the game.

I know...I know...I have played one game and now I am a fanboy. Will it stand the test of time, I can't say for sure, but I am interested in playing the heck out of it and it will end my search for the dudes in the corridor game. It is, as they say on the Game On! podcast, Jones Theory compliant...it will be my game for this genre.

GoW is the gem in the rough from GenCon 2011. Save money on Rune Age and Quarriors and buy this puppy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rosado
United States
East Stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
2nd Lieutenant United States Army
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review,
I wanted to wait a little bit before I pick up this game, to see if its for me. Normally I get games and get stuck not playing them because lack of players. I'm glad this plays good solo. I'm give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to be convinced that I need this game. Also, thank you for telling what you like about the game and why in such a concise, articulate manner. I think I get a better sense of a game from these brief reports of first impressions than from the rambling reviews that try to recapitulate the whole rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
The use of cards for resources, life and reaction abilities is incredibly fun and efficient. This is an underrated achievement by FFG.

I would like to add this is a very similar mechanic to another FFG out-of-the-ballpark game I love, Middle Earth Quest!

And thanks for the review, I am fighting the urge to spend money on this thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I read the Rules I was hooked on GoW so it's good to
hear it seems to do all the things I hoped it would do.
The Solo Scale is a massive plus for me.

Alas my Game is somewhere in the hands of FedEX between
CSI FL & New Jersey,so probably next Tueday or Friday.

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
The Third reason I love this game is because of the cover feature. This is truly innovative and adds tremendously to the thematic feel of the game. You actually feel like you are darting into a room and ducking behind a wall, poking your head up and firing at the locust horde. It is implemented in a simple manner, but it adds tons to the game. I never played the video game, but it gives a bit of a video game feel in a board game. Genius design.

Oh good! I can't wait for the immortal Chest-High Wall to become a regular feature in board games now too. ;D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'in the rulebook' solo play rules are good, but my favorite way to go solo is simply running two cogs. Try it!
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Rose
msg tools
tkelly wrote:
The 'in the rulebook' solo play rules are good, but my favorite way to go solo is simply running two cogs. Try it!
TK

I think i will. Right now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Very nice. I got the game yesterday and heave yet to dive into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Love all the points you described. Already becoming a fanboy myself. Thanks for the short and concise review.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.