David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I think I've asked before but my search-fu is weak this AM ... is there any sort of random scenario generator in FF, that is, any sort of mechanic or rules for me to make up my own small scenarios in the game?

And which expansion has been confirmed (if any) for next release? The Yank or 1st Canadian or another one? Or as Chad said?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
No official RSG due to the increase in the required force pool (ie counters and types) needed to make such a thing work. So other than grabbing a few units on your own, no mechanic or rules to make up your own small scenarios. Remember, the scenarios included are based on historic situations so that is what drove the map, OOB, etc.

Current plans are that the US 2nd Armored Division "Hell on Wheels" is the next fighting formation followed by the 1st Canadian Infantry Division as the third.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been giving some thought as to how to craft a build-your-own scenario system for the game, but nothing has gelled quite yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. Kozure's excellent overview/review and a chance to chat with him at the upcoming TABSCON in Toronto are pushing me toward the game. For RSG right now, I'd probably just set up some basic attack/defence scenario and wing it if need be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
I've been giving some thought as to how to craft a build-your-own scenario system for the game, but nothing has gelled quite yet.

Excellent news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stoker
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Chad Jensen wrote:

Excellent news!

Yes, I would be interested as well. A friend and I have started playing, but we prefer balanced scenarios to historically accurate ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
The historical scenarios included in the game are balanced. The two terms are not mutually exclusive. Indeed, with a randomly-generated scenario for almost any game system I'd say the chances of having that scenario be balanced for both sides is generally less likely than that of a well-tested published scenario, historical or otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
The historical scenarios included in the game are balanced. The two terms are not mutually exclusive. Indeed, with a randomly-generated scenario for almost any game system I'd say the chances of having that scenario be balanced for both sides is generally less likely than that of a well-tested published scenario, historical or otherwise.

True, true... but there is definitely an ineffable magical fun in creating a random scenario, selecting your forces and deciding your strategy in a new unique situation which no players have ever faced before and never will again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely, Russ! I prefer roll-your-owns myself, mainly for that very reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stoker
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:

I misspoke. Given the victory conditions and timing, scenarios with much more strength on one side or the other can be balanced in that each side has an equal chance of winning. I was thinking more along the lines of equal strength on both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.