Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Ghost Stories» Forums » Rules

Subject: Additional neutral board questions regarding timing and use rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Regarding the timing of the Green power, do you have to decide before rolling if you will take this power? I assume the answer would be yes, as it would be rather cheesy to fail a tormenter roll, then use a power token to buy the green power.

However, if the power token can be used at any time during the Yang phase, then it would imply that you could indeed purchase the Green neutral power when needed.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JacquesDeMolay wrote:

Regarding the timing of the Green power, do you have to decide before rolling if you will take this power? I assume the answer would be yes, as it would be rather cheesy to fail a tormenter roll, then use a power token to buy the green power.

However, if the power token can be used at any time during the Yang phase, then it would imply that you could indeed purchase the Green neutral power when needed.



Buy the power when you want to reroll.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
'Any time' isn't meant to apply in the middle of an action, so if you didn't play green before starting the exorcism, you can't use it for another roll after the first roll fails. See the designer's answer to this question here.

(Antoine provide answers to many questions in that thread - it's well worth reading).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play that you can pick it after throwing the dice. Otherwise it would be rather useless. But only if we're talking about the reroll-power. If you mean the one that gives you the grey die and black die immunity you'd have to pick it before rolling, obviously.

EDIT: since the designer has made it clear that you cannot pick the green ability in the middle of an exorcism, what I usually do is not important. :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I was talking about the re-roll of course. One could choose it before as insurance, if you were facing a tormentor. I'll check out that link Sphere - thanks. Unfortunately some of these rules overlap and there has been a fair amount of rule corrections.

Here is another question that recently came up: playing the Yellow Monk and activated the blue power. Now the Blue power is to be able to both request help and make an exorcism attempt. Now is this in addition to the yellow monk's village assistance or exorcism attempt - ie - you could get 2 village activations and 1 exorcism attempt or 1 village activation and 2 exorcism attempts?

Edit: Well I found one spot where he answered yes to a failed say Yellow Monk exorcism, who can then play a power token to make two more Blue Monk exorcism attempts, so the answer to the question above would seem to be yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JacquesDeMolay wrote:
Yes, I was talking about the re-roll of course. One could choose it before as insurance, if you were facing a tormentor. I'll check out that link Sphere - thanks. Unfortunately some of these rules overlap and there has been a fair amount of rule corrections.

If you focus on Antoine's answers, you'll learn a lot. The key things to remember when using a power token for green are that green powers persist through your entire yang phase (so invoke on a turn when you'll have several rolls), but can't be used during the yin phase (so unless your own taoist is green, you can't skip Curse die rolls from Tormentors).

JacquesDeMolay wrote:
Here is another question that recently came up: playing the Yellow Monk and activated the blue power. Now the Blue power is to be able to both request help and make an exorcism attempt. Now is this in addition to the yellow monk's village assistance or exorcism attempt - ie - you could get 2 village activations and 1 exorcism attempt or 1 village activation and 2 exorcism attempts?

The yellow monk doesn't have a special power for village assistance or exorcism; that's the basic ability of any monk. Blue's power replaces that; you get 2 total activations/exorcisms. Another way to think of it is that Blue's power adds 1 activation/exorcism (otherwise, a blue monk would end up with 3).

JacquesDeMolay wrote:
Edit: Well I found one spot where he answered yes to a failed say Yellow Monk exorcism, who can then play a power token to make two more Blue Monk exorcism attempts, so the answer to the question above would seem to be yes.

Read it again more carefully, and you'll find that Antoine said you could play a blue power token after failing the first roll. Playing blue lets you take another complete exorcism, which is not the same thing as playing a green token in the middle of an exorcism to re-roll dice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any monk can make an exorcism which is one of the 2 things he can do, of course. The powers you get from neutral boards are supposed to be above and beyond that. If he "the designer" ruled that one could could buy the blue double power monk's power after failing a exorcism to get two more chances, why couldn't you also get to use the full Heavenly Gust?

Quote:
mavo wrote:
Quote:
Exaclty when am I allowed to user power tokens? E.g.: I try to excorcise a ghost, but do not succeed. Can I now use my power token to activate the blue "attack twice" ability and try again?


Yes, you can !
Because you can use a Power token anytime during your Yang phase

Antoine

PS : a updated rulebook is coming soon, please be patient, Repos Prod is currently releasing it


The poster asked if the could activate blue to "attack twice" to which he agreed. You would think if it were only one more attack, he would have simply stated it there.

Nice game - not so nice on the rules - and interpretations. The more I think about it, with the implied "you always can attack once or use the villager tile once - the one extra blue action makes sense - though it could be worded much more cleanly to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
'Any time' isn't meant to apply in the middle of an action, so if you didn't play green before starting the exorcism, you can't use it for another roll after the first roll fails. See the designer's answer to this question here.

(Antoine provide answers to many questions in that thread - it's well worth reading).


Aha! Excellent! This precise issue came up just last night, and I had to make a ruling.

I was blue, wanting to fight a ghost with resistance of 2 green, but a curse on departure. Neutral board green had the power of the extra dice and ignoring curses. I feared the curse but only had one power token, so I didn't want to use it just for the extra dice. I wondered if I could roll my three dice and then, if I *succeeded* could get Green's power to avoid the curse.

Despite the encouragement of the other player, I thought it shouldn't be allowed. So I bought Green's power before the exorcism, and totally failed to roll 2 green with 4 dice.

A few turns later when I'd managed to retrieve the power token, I tried the same thing again ... AND FAILED AGAIN

Glad to know I made the right ruling, but it would make the game easier if that wasn't true
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JacquesDeMolay wrote:
If he "the designer" ruled that one could could buy the blue double power monk's power after failing a exorcism to get two more chances, why couldn't you also get to use the full Heavenly Gust?

He didn't. He ruled that you could play the blue after failing a exorcism to get one more chance (two total).


JacquesDeMolay wrote:

Quote:
mavo wrote:
Quote:
Exaclty when am I allowed to user power tokens? E.g.: I try to excorcise a ghost, but do not succeed. Can I now use my power token to activate the blue "attack twice" ability and try again?


Yes, you can !
Because you can use a Power token anytime during your Yang phase

Antoine

PS : a updated rulebook is coming soon, please be patient, Repos Prod is currently releasing it


The poster asked if the could activate blue to "attack twice" to which he agreed.

In the example, mavo had used only one action, and Antoine agreed that he could play blue to make another one.

JacquesDeMolay wrote:
You would think if it were only one more attack, he would have simply stated it there.

You could just as easily say that if that allowed two more attacks, he would have said so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:

So I bought Green's power before the exorcism, and totally failed to roll 2 green with 4 dice. :(

A few turns later when I'd managed to retrieve the power token, I tried the same thing again ... AND FAILED AGAIN :(


Quick aside: You say that like it's a rare thing, but really, the probability of rolling 2 anything, even with 4 dice or a reroll is pretty unlikely. Too unlikely to try, except in desperate times. Try to exorcise only when you need to roll only one, or preferably no dots at all. You'll waste less actions that way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.