On page ten of the rules, when you "draft one empire card," do you:

1) pay any required money to the bank;
2) use the card immediately; and
3) place it on your discard pile?

or

do you:

1) pay any required money to the bank; and
2) place it on your discard pile?

For example, if a player chooses a Neutral Empire Fortification card, is he or she allowed to pay for it, place a fortification, and discard it?

Or does one simply pay for it and discard it? If so, must you pay for it again if you draw it from the future draw pile? Does one pay to first draw the Empire card and then pay again to actually put it into effect?

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Option #2. Drafting an empire card and using it are two completely different things. There is nothing in the rules even hinting on that you should use a card you draft. It just say that you put it in your discard.

You pay for the card only once. Ofcourse there are special once like the fortification and Siege artillery which have a "use cost" but most cards are payed when drafted, and then you can use them howevermutch you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Ove, thank you for your alacrity and clarity in your response. Alas and alack: I do not find Martin Wallace rules as clear as you do; perhaps it is because English is my 1st language. laugh

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
Alas and alack: I do not find Martin Wallace rules as clear as you do; perhaps it is because English is my 1st language.

We can debate the clarity of some things (and I'm doing so in another thread). But this one is clear, both in the rules - even if you don;t read the designer's notes and references to Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
bentlarsen wrote:
Alas and alack: I do not find Martin Wallace rules as clear as you do; perhaps it is because English is my 1st language.

We can debate the clarity of some things (and I'm doing so in another thread). But this one is clear, both in the rules - even if you don;t read the designer's notes and references to Dominion.

Why state that "we can debate," and then shut down debate? arrrh

I did not find the designer's paragraphs--"notes" is far too generous a description--to be helpful or insightful. But I have owned Byzantium and I have Gettysburg, so I felt right at home in this regard.

I am not looking for an argument, but for help. I received it and quickly, for which I appreciate.

As for Dominion, the name is familiar because it is frequently referenced in regards to A Few Acres of Snow, but I have never played this game.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
Why state that "we can debate," and then shut down debate?

I said "some things". This isn't one of those things.

Quote:
I did not find the designer's paragraphs--"notes" is far too generous a description--to be helpful or insightful.

I think you want to reconsider what "notes" means. Pretty much nothing is too short note to be note length. Of course they aren't rules, so they don't give definitive answers (which the rules do). But read why the drafting mechanism and the delay it introduces. Wouldn't be a delay if you got to play a card when you bought it. Not that there is any doubt from the rules, which don't say that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
bentlarsen wrote:
Why state that "we can debate," and then shut down debate?

I said "some things". This isn't one of those things.

Quote:
I did not find the designer's paragraphs--"notes" is far too generous a description--to be helpful or insightful.

I think you want to reconsider what "notes" means. Pretty much nothing is too short note to be note length. Of course they aren't rules, so they don't give definitive answers (which the rules do). But read why the drafting mechanism and the delay it introduces. Wouldn't be a delay if you got to play a card when you bought it. Not that there is any doubt from the rules, which don't say that.

Here you go looking for an argument. Isn't it late over there and shouldn't you be in bed?

You are the one who sets the rules of the debate over what is and is not clear in a set of Martin Wallace rules, or I suppose any other set of rules, since you seem to have the time to decide the definitive definition of the word "notes."

Ove was helpful. You are pedantic. Ove was direct, but polite. You appear to have room for only one opinion: your own. I appreciate sarcasm when it teaches; I like irony with a touch of humour; you have the former (sarcasm, irony) but lack the latter (teaching with a touch of humour).

Now, before Octavian comes along with his heavy hammer of Big Brotherly justice to tell me what a bad boy I have been, I will leave this thread. Feel free to be pedantic with yourself, if you wish, while you parse the word "notes" to your heart's content.

Oh, the next time I have a question on A Few Acres--and I will--please spare me--spare us all--and just pretend it isn't there.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try looking at what actually happened. You asked a question. You got an answer. You then went down the blaming the rules line. When pointed out that doesn't cut it you went down the meaning of words line. You got the responses based on your postings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.