BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: You know you're getting old when... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
You find a pair of trousers you like and buy two identical pairs. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ookami Snow
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you use the word "trousers".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
Just two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You know you're getting old when this song resonates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kinross_19 wrote:

I think we're the only country who calls them "pants." To everyone else, pants are underwear.

Unfortunately, when I find some that actually fit me, I buy three or so pair. :/

Edit: Jeans, that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
kinross_19 wrote:

I think we're the only country who calls them "pants." To everyone else, pants are underwear.

Correct.

amwiles wrote:
Unfortunately, when I find some that actually fit me, I buy three or so pair. :/

Well I usually buy my pants (UK usage!) three at a time because they are sold in packs of three. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are pants? After you retire, the only thing you need are shorts. Of course, it does get a bit chilly come November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your nephew says The Simpsons debuted in the year 2000.

This was his answer during a game of Wits n Wagers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 6 of the same pairs of pants. I only wear black, and I happen to like the particular style of pants, so getting different ones doesn't seem that important to me. My entire wardrobe consists of the same black pants, and the same Fruit of the Loom black pocketless t-shirts and two pairs of black shoes. I get questions on occasion as to whether or not I wear the same clothes everyday, but I don't like wearing colors, so I don't mind so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...you clicked on this thread expecting to agree with whatever is posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
kinross_19 wrote:

Not here. Pants == Trousers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
kinross_19 wrote:

Like the duck dude said, we use pants, trousers, long pants. The denim ones are just jeans though.

Shorts can be short pants or short trousers, although generally just shorts.

Underwear is underwear, undies, jocks etc. (there's a whole lot of words for them some more gender specific).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a subscription to Reader's Digest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
kinross_19 wrote:

IN Australia people use both trousers and pants to mean the same thing .. we say underwear for what we wear under our trousers/pants.

I can't stand the way some people in Australia now use "pant" for the singular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
churchmouse wrote:

Well I usually buy my pants (UK usage!) three at a time because they are sold in packs of three. whistle
do you free-ball during the 4th season of the year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
What are pants? After you retire, the only thing you need are shorts. Of course, it does get a bit chilly come November.

Shoot, when you get old you give up on pants and shirts all together and go with a couple pairs of "Dickies" overalls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting reading. The second to last paragraph explains the plurality of "pants".

Q: From Corey and his mother; related questions came from Linda Rodgers, Peter C Mann, and others: Speaking of pants, as you were the other week, my 14-year-old asked me why, if you put on a pair of pants, you don’t also put on a pair of shirts? Can you illuminate the matter for us?

A: People do ask the most intriguing questions.

I’ve looked at the entry in the Oxford English Dictionary, which suggests that the form pair of pants was standard right from its earliest use. Indeed, words for nether garments all seem to have been commonly plural throughout their history, often prefixed by pair of ...: breeches, shorts, drawers, panties, tights, knickers (short for knickerbockers), and trousers.

Pants is short for pantaloons, also plural, which in their very earliest incarnations were nearer stage tights; their name comes from a Venetian character in Italian commedia dell’arte who was the butt of the clown’s jokes and who always appeared as a foolish old man wearing pantaloons. Commentators referred to them when they first appeared as being a combination of breeches and stockings. Later the word was applied to fashionable tight-fitting trousers.

Trousers came into the language in the seventeenth century from the Gaelic trowse, a singular word for a slightly different garment rather more like breeches; a later version of it was trews, taken to be a plural because of the final s. Breeches has been plural throughout its recorded history, a long one (it dates from at least the year 1200).

According to several costume historians who have helped me with this reply, the answer to all this conventional plurality is very simple. Before the days of modern tailoring, such garments, whether underwear or outerwear, were indeed made in two parts, one for each leg. The pieces were put on each leg separately and then wrapped and tied or belted at the waist (just like cowboys’ chaps). The plural usage persisted out of habit even after the garments had become physically one piece. However, a shirt was a single piece of cloth, so it was always singular.

It’s worth noting that the posher type of tailor, such as in London’s Savile Row, still often refers to a trouser and the singular pant and tight are not unknown in clothing store terminology in America — so the plural is not universal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs P
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you know you're old when you log into a thread called "You know you're getting old when..." and all you can do is talk about pants/trousers...

Today is my birthday and after the kids pointed out that my grey hairs are longer than the rest and stick out of my dark brown curly mop - I feel old!

Time for a nanna nap... snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
gamermummy wrote:
I think you know you're old when you log into a thread called "You know you're getting old when..." and all you can do is talk about pants/trousers...

Today is my birthday and after the kids pointed out that my grey hairs are longer than the rest and stick out of my dark brown curly mop - I feel old!

Time for a nanna nap... snore

Hey, welcome to BGG. Happy birthday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
You find a pair of trousers you like and buy two identical pairs. zombie

shake I did that a few years ago. This week I bought my first pair of reading glasses. Now that's old. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

...when the Playmate of the Month is younger than your KIDS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqui Bankler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to get bifocals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: You know you're getting TOLD when...
Don't none of yas 'git' yer bloody "Fanny" `twixted into an 'uproar' here!
robot THERE ARE FORE-PLAY SOMEHOW INVOLVES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you talk to people who are too young to remember the Soviet Union, and the prospect of nuclear war.

When you mention to someone how you remember the time before cell phones, and they look horrified at the very thought.

When you read the first thing on this thread and think, "but that's what I do!"

Oh and I nearly forgot. When you go into a Games Workshop store and realise that there are miniatures in your collection that are older than the staff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
I do look good on this chair, dont I?
mbmbmbmbmb
You know your getting old when your talking about TV shows and peopple didnt know that in the original Galactica Starbuck was a guy.
And that Capt. Adama was Lorne Greene... "You know the Dad from Bonanza..."
Then someone asks: "What is a bonanza?"

Edit: Even worse. When you buy Civilization IV Colonization because you had the original and the boy at the counter didnt knew about it. His words: "I still didnt play computer games back then, was it still on CD I supose"
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.