Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the base set scenarios were really fun (most of the objectives in stories 1-3). Others were either boring or broken (story 4 and one of the story 3 objectives, respectively).

How does this new story fit in? Was it adequately playtested? Is it fun? I'd like to get the community's opinion here before I buy since the base game was so polarizing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Season of the Witch was really fun to me and my friends. Played it with 4 investigators. They liked it more than original ones.
Haven't played Silver Tablet since I don't have it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We also liked this better than the original scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think I might have been slightly disappointed if I had been one of the investigators because I've read "Dreams in the Witch House" which this scenario is heavily based on (though obviously it doesn't end the same). I mean "Dreams in the Witch House" is one of my favorite Lovecraft stories, but my familiarity with it would have slightly lessened my enjoyment of this if I had been an investigator (though I was the Keeper, so I guess that's really a non-issue).
Overall I liked it and I think it's definitely worth the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than lack of actual Witches, no complaints from me about the scenario. Even the lack of Witches is bettered by the fact that the Pop-Up Witches from Witchcraft Keeper Action card weren't used in this one. But maybe one of the Events could've added a Witch or two to make it more of a Witch House. Gate Flux is cool addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Gate Flux is cool addition.

I also enjoyed the Gate Flux and look forward to more cool items. My group enjoyed the game overall I am happy with the purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easily as good or better than any of the three good scenarios in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments guys. I bought the scenario and played it once with 2 investigators. Here come the spoilers:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Under objective 1C, it seemed really easy for the Keeper to weaken one investigator before the objective is revealed, then kill him for the win. I honestly don't know how the investigators can deal with this. The Keeper can summon Hounds and Shoggoths to harass them effectively and there's not much they can do about it, even with some good weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am totally with you on this one Chris. I have only done one play through and we had this exact same issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly disagree with not playing to win. It goes against every grain of my competitive nature. I believe games with winners and losers must be played to win, else they become meaningless. It is up to the designer to balance a game so that it does not break when it is played to win, not up to the players to compensate for poor playtesting or design.

Next time I'll try one of the other objectives and see if it feels more balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the fun in games comes from their competitiveness. It comes from trying to outwit your opponents using every tool at your disposal within the confines of the game rules. I know for others (most people outside the BGG crowd) it's different but nobody is 'wrong' here. To each his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Regardless of whether you feel playing to win or playing to make the game fun for others is preferable, you must admit that if the two are not the same thing (outside of a role-playing environment), then there is a flaw in the game. A well-designed game should be fun even - nay, especially - when playing to actually win the game. That's why win conditions exist.

If the Keeper were supposed to just be an impartial GM running the game for others instead of trying to win personally, then the game would have been designed as such and the Keeper would not have been given a win condition. But that is not the case, so either the Keeper should play to win or the game is flawed in its design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Salkovics
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
For me the fun in games comes from their competitiveness. It comes from trying to outwit your opponents using every tool at your disposal within the confines of the game rules. I know for others (most people outside the BGG crowd) it's different but nobody is 'wrong' here. To each his own.

Ok..I have seen a number of ridiculous posts of this type with regards to MM. If I got what you mean right you are saying "I enjoy 'gaming' the rules so that I can win against the players any way I legally can no matter how unrealistic the rule or how disatisfying it is to the players. I saw a lot of this attitude among keepers at cons to the point where I won't play it at a con unless I am the keeper. Just as it isn't 'competative' to beat up a 10 year old girl scout and still her cookies, it isn't competative to use unrealistic rules kinks to win as a keeper. I wonder why someone with this attitude would even bother with a game like MM, which is, essentially, a cooperative game where the keeper and players are trying to create the most interesting and fun story possible. Why would you even both with face to face opponents (and just use the computer) if you care so much about winning and so little about the social enjoyment. I don't even play that way with competative complex hex and counter wargames. When I find an obscure rules advantage that has nothing to do with the realistic flavor of the game I get rid of it or modify it or let my opponent know. My favorite games of MM are when I lost as a keeper to players in an epic and challenging in interesting way and I have often forgone manipulating rules to prevent a lose when it was fun to do so. I need to keep track of the players who have your attitude so I don't waste my time playing with them at cons.

As Jaime Lannister would say "It just wasn't clean" Hey, if you want to be a dirty "Tywin"..be my guest, I just hope I don't end up wasting my time in your universe.
Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read Roberta's post above. She summarizes pretty well why many of the scenarios in MoM fail as a game. If one side is given a win condition, but the game becomes "unfun" when he tries to use the tools available in order to achieve it, the game fails. You misinterpret my post to mean I enjoy cackling with evil laughter as I rules lawyer my way to victory. What I mean to say is that a game should be designed like a piece of hardware. The designers should expect it to be mishandled, dropped, and suffer the wear and tear of people experimenting with its use. If a hammer breaks when you smack a nail too hard with it, I would call that a defective hammer. And if a game breaks when I try too hard to win, I call that a defective game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
Read Roberta's post above. She summarizes pretty well why many of the scenarios in MoM fail as a game. If one side is given a win condition, but the game becomes "unfun" when he tries to use the tools available in order to achieve it, the game fails. You misinterpret my post to mean I enjoy cackling with evil laughter as I rules lawyer my way to victory. What I mean to say is that a game should be designed like a piece of hardware. The designers should expect it to be mishandled, dropped, and suffer the wear and tear of people experimenting with its use. If a hammer breaks when you smack a nail too hard with it, I would call that a defective hammer. And if a game breaks when I try too hard to win, I call that a defective game.

I'm 100% with you on that and had many debates about that subject in the past.

Keeper is there to set the mood AND play to win. Sure there's arseholes everywhere and those beings shouldn't be Keepers IMO but played well, a Keeper should always have his victory condition in mind while driving insane the Investigators.

Same with Investigators, they should be aware that in the Mansion of Madness, absolutely nothing will be a cake walk and they'll suffer until the last minute.

Love this game and what it brings out of people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.