Subject: We 'effed with the 'effin Spider. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yannick Huijsman
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Or,
A Spider house rule I wanted to share.

When an insect touches no insects other than a Spider, that piece is trapped in the Spider's web and cannot move. This applies to any insect, including Beetles/Mosquitoes on top of the Hive. However, the ability is negated when a Beetle or Mosquito climbs on top of the Spider.

The most important effect of this is that when an insect blocks a Spider, that insect is essentially blocked itself until freed by a Beetle, a second connection to the Hive or a less valuable piece taking its place in the web. No matter the final outcome, blocking a Spider will be a bigger investment than blocking any other insect. Thus, the Spider will gain some freedom of movement and some power as a threatening piece.

Things to note:
– Since this affects both your own and enemy pieces, placing a Spider as your starting piece will inevitably trap both it and one of your other starting pieces until the Hive grows. As such, another piece is probably a better choice.
– A Mosquito copies only the Spider's movement, not its web.
– A smart player may be able to move his own pieces so that an important enemy piece becomes trapped in the web, adding a defensive use to the Spider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hokuspokulus
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My intital thought:

Interesting idea, but why should the spider web its own pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Huijsman
Netherlands
flag msg tools
OneArmedSorcerer wrote:
My intital thought:

Interesting idea, but why should the spider web its own pieces?

Because that's a general rule of Hive that I didn't want to stray from. Beetles trap friendly pieces; Mosquitoes copy the abilities of friendly pieces; your own pieces contribute to a surround on your Queen Bee. I didn't want Spiders to be the only exception to that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Walker
United States
Carrboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Best idea I've seen yet! This opens up a lot of possibilities, and fits the theme perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jose
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I am begrudgingly of the opinion that the spider in and of itself is a fine (if not somewhat boring) piece, I like this idea.

I don't understand how a beetle would ever make it on top of a spider? Is it that the climb up is not affected by the web?

I'd probably also make it so that a spider doesn't trap other spiders in its web.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.