Runewars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sorceress special ability. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Werner

Avon
Ohio
msg tools
I was playing as the elves and I drew a card to use my sorceress special ability. Can I opt not to use it? Next initiative I will most likely kill the unit so I'd rather have it die than retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no indication that resolving Special Abilities is optional at all, except with the Berserker which specifically says you "may" do it.

Thus, I would say the Sorceress ability is mandatory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Castrequini
Brazil
Valinhos
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, I was about to say the same thing...but I was too late, no doughnuts thumbs for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Werner

Avon
Ohio
msg tools
Thanks guys!

Allow me to conclude with, the sorceress isnt a spectacular unit by any stretch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vidjogamer wrote:
Thanks guys!

Allow me to conclude with, the sorceress isnt a spectacular unit by any stretch.

No, she's not. She's good for using as the "token unit who holds an area so that your more useful units can go to war".

Although during the Drought summer, a swarm of Sorceresses can be pretty nasty, since each Rout would kill a unit outright. And if used right, they can be handy for one-two punch attacks; have the Sorceresses come in and cause a bunch of units to retreat, and then have a follow-up attack come in and destroy all the units that retreated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miroslaw Terlecki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use 2xSorceress as easy way for clearing area with neutral dragon or giant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Sorceress are under-rated.
They aren't very good against pisant troops. Put they are great against the powerhouse units though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Sorceress are under-rated.
They aren't very good against pisant troops. Put they are great against the powerhouse units though.

That's true, but it's not uncommon for the powerhouse units to be protected by the cannon fodder.

Sorceresses can be useful at times, but their utility seems to be more situational than most units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Werner

Avon
Ohio
msg tools
I can see how they can definitely be useful. But in the games i've played they have only really hurt me. It seems like they have a higher chance of hurting you than helping you. Especially because its not uncommon to have a lot of warriors to go after them.

Edit: Though perhaps when they do help you it is more substancial than when they hinder you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they tend to be more useful on defense when you are trying to drive them away. Then when they retreat, you can go in and clean up if you want.

But I usually only recruit them when I'm recruiting other stuff and they just happen to be on the dial, and tend to stick them alone in areas that I just want to control behind the front lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
sigmazero13 wrote:

Sorceresses can be useful at times, but their utility seems to be more situational than most units.

Taking mountains is situational, but it's a situation that comes up nearly every game, and Sorceresses are the best units the Elves have for taking mountains, as well as the best starting unit at taking mountains.

They are a bit weak against players, though, due to their lack of initiative, durability and, except when droughts or magic portals are involved, killing power. But they do an admirable job of saving up Dragons and Giants for when you have the Influence to buy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the sorceress ability says you have to retreat one unit does this mean the target unit gets routed or does it have to abandon battle instantly and move into another tile?

It seems like it, as there is a destinction between rout(lay unit down) and retreat (move your units away).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
As the sorceress ability says you have to retreat one unit does this mean the target unit gets routed or does it have to abandon battle instantly and move into another tile?

It seems like it, as there is a destinction between rout(lay unit down) and retreat (move your units away).

Both. The Word of Vaal ability forces the unit to retreat (leave the battle). Whenever a unit retreats, it also becomes routed (lays down). So the unit would have to move to an adjacent area, and lay down.

(NOTE: If multiple figures retreat, including units that retreat later at the end of battle, they must ALL go to the same area, too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should note, too, that after the original series of posts in 2011, the revised edition came out, and the Sorceress is MUCH more powerful now, since now the Latari player gets to choose who retreats!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.