Subject: Fastest Solo Game Ever... ?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ran into a rather funny/unusual situation in a solo game: while it took me about 15 minutes to set the game up, shuffle all the decks and such, the game itself only lasted about 1 minute!

My (randomly drawn) character was Dexter Drake, I had set his initial speed/sneak slider to 3/3 and the mythos card drawn during setup resulted in a gate opening up at the Witch House (only 4 spaces away from Dexter's starting location, hehe...). The monster drawn from the cup was a flyer and oddly enough, the symbol matched one of those from the mythos card, so the monster took off to the sky before the game even started. These lucky circumstances made Dex take a little gamble on his very first move, and this is what happened next:

1) Upkeep Phase: I set his speed/sneak slider to 4/2.
2) Movement Phase: with the streets and all of Arkham's locations completely free of any monsters, Dex took a little 4-space walk from "Ye Olde Magick Shoppe" to "The Witch House"
3) Arkham Encounter Phase: Dex let himself get sucked into the Other World (the Great Hall of Celeano, to be exact).
4) Other World Encounter Phase: I drew the first card from the gate deck, and its blue border immediately matched one of the Celeano symbols (blue/green). Only specific instructions for "Abyss" and "Yuggoth" on the card, so I proceeded to the "Other" section, which read:

Quote:
...Pass a Speed (-2) check to return to Arkham. If you fail, you are lost in time and space. In either event, you automatically close the gate you entered through.

Mhmmm, now that sounded interesting, especially the part in bold! laugh

OK, Dexter then actually failed the speed check, got lost in time and space, but he didn't really care and was last seen with a big smile in his face, because he had just won the game and saved Arkham from the Ancient One!!!?

- Well, it was a solo game, so obviously: number of players = 1
- There was not a single open gate in Arkham at this point in the game
(and from my reading of the rules, you do not even have to carry out any further phases, like the mythos phase, once a game ending condition is fulfilled)
- Dexter (even though lost in time and space, probably for the next couple of eons.... surprise) was in possession of 1 gate trophy
- The number of gate trophies (1) was equal to or greater than the number of players in the game

Ergo: a quick and easy win for the good guy! Yay!

Or wait... was it really a win??? Not 100% sure, if a player really gets to keep the gate trophy, if the gate gets closed as the result of some lucky event (as opposed to getting closed the honest, old-fashioned way). But then, hey, why not? After all, the card text says "in either case, you close the gate...".

So what do you think: was this a legal win? Or are there any exceptional rulings on gate trophies for gates getting closed in alternative ways???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a legal win to me, but I would be interested what others who are better versed in the rules have to say.

Chalk one up to the good guy's.

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on if you think you get the trophy, but I don't see why you wouldn't because it said you close the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawaron .
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Sounds legit to me.

I was just thinking about this the other day, I realized that even without that exact effect, with a gate box, spell, or other effect that returns an investigator to Arkham, combined with either a monster surge or a "no gates open this turn" Mythos card, could result in a lone investigator winning the game on the second turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Depends on if you think you get the trophy, but I don't see why you wouldn't because it said you close the gate.
yeah, I thought the only argument we had with this Encounter was over whether you could seal the Gate, not whether you got the Trophy (which is a given).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I remember that the designer said that you can't seal the gate, but much more recently someone on the forums asked about it and they said you can. That answer was more recent and more simple, so I've been playing it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Well, I remember that the designer said that you can't seal the gate, but much more recently someone on the forums asked about it and they said you can. That answer was more recent and more simple, so I've been playing it that way.

this is by no means a ruling...but I would think that if you succeeded in returning through the gate, you would get an explored marker, the gate would automatically close, and you can then seal the gate...if you have the clue tokens......but failing to return to arkham, the gate would automatically close, you would not receive an explored marker, and since you are not at the gate location, you would not be able to seal the gate.....just my ever evolving opinion though.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why you would get the gate as a trophy. The gate is closing on you automatically (that's why it's a *speed* test, it was a surprise). You failed the speed test, you didn't make it out in time, and were trapped on the wrong side of the gate (thus, LiTaS).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Gren

Brookings
South Dakota
msg tools
It would be a faster (and much more boring) game if you had Akachi Onyele as your investigator in a solo game. You wouldn't even need the first upkeep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I don't see why you would get the gate as a trophy. The gate is closing on you automatically (that's why it's a *speed* test, it was a surprise). You failed the speed test, you didn't make it out in time, and were trapped on the wrong side of the gate (thus, LiTaS).

True, but you closed the gate... the text specifies that you closed the gate, so you get the trophy (IMHO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HunterGren wrote:
It would be a faster (and much more boring) game if you had Akachi Onyele as your investigator in a solo game. You wouldn't even need the first upkeep!

Unusually, they seem to have thought of that possibility well in advance. In the rules, the "closing" victory condition is only checked immediately after an investigator closes a gate. (Whereas a "sealing" victory occurs whenever there are six seals, regardless of how the sixth seal got there)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The text says that you close the gate, so you should get a trophy... the speed check just determined which side of the gate you were on when it closed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.