Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I gather Boosters will be $10 each.

How much will the Factions expansion be from my FLGS?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers: Factions will list for $25

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
Alien Frontiers: Factions will list for $25

Let me just double check that I have this correct:
Alien Frontiers: Factions MSRP is $25 and Factions booster is another $10, for a total MSRP of $35 for both.
Alien Frontiers: Factions on Kickstarter is $30 and can bump that to $35 to get a booster back.
Something doesn't quite add up. So our Kickstarter "bonus" for funding is to get the Factions Booster for only $5 instead of the MSRP of $10, but it's $35 for doing either Kickstarter or waiting and buying in store? That's OK, I'm still happy to get the expansion quicker, but just trying to figure out how this Kickstarter "bonus" works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For the "intangible" and "big picture" Kickstarter projects it is clear that you're helping to make something that WOULD NOT GET MADE if it were not for your generous and altruistic pledge. But for the tangible projects...games, tech devices, etc...this aspect seems to get lost. All of a sudden is not about "how can I help you succeed" and more about "what can i get for cheap or free."

Maybe I'm just a naive fool (it has been said), but Kickstarter is more than a pre-order system or a bargain basement garage sale. It's about helping to create something and it should not matter that the thing being created is a film or an art installation or game. Alien Frontiers: Factions cannot be made without your assistance. Sunrise City will never see the light of day with out your help.

Clever Mojo Games has one popular product (thanks to Kickstarter Backers who were not yet jaded, I think) and, so far, every penny of profit has gone back into printing larger quantities of Alien Frontiers and doing all the background work of design, development, and art for several new games--like Sunrise City, and Factions, and Swinging Jivecat Voodoo Lounge, and Princes of the Dragon Throne, and Flummox, and Sailing Toward Osiris. Let me tell you now that NONE of those games will ever get published without the generous help of Kickstarter backers.

So, I'll try to keep a bare bones pledge level in there for people who are only looking to get a discount...but if those are the only people who pledge to support one of our games then those games will never get made. Kickstarter needs people who can see the big picture and nurture creativity in all its forms...Clever Mojo Games needs people who are looking for more than a cut-rate box to add to their shelf.

OK...I've said my piece and probably dug may grave at the same time...let the flames begin. I'm not ranting at any one person, but about the general perception of tangible Kickstarter projects...it is how I feel and how I see things.

Oh, and to answer your original question...Yup, you're getting $5 off and shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though it costs a lot (at least for me) with this Kickstarter (I missed the first one unfortunately) I can finally get the main game and international shipping prices are quite reasonable.

Of course I'd enjoy if it would cost less but I still get a great game (and an expansion) and also support the publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

I totally get what Kickstarter is for and I'm still very happy to be backing Factions. While I agree that Kickstarter shouldn't be just to get a discounted version of whatever it is, it is nice to be rewarded in some way and know that you will be recognized for your contribution. All I was trying to point out was that the Kickstarter "bonus" being offered isn't really a bonus besides free shipping. I know it sounds like you have something else in the works as a possible reward for backers and let me just say that I do very much appreciate that. I really wasn't looking to question your business model, just asking about this one project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael...Really...I was not slamming you...sorry that it came out that way. My tirade has been building for a while now due to a lot of comments made on other threads and it just finally boiled over.

Yes, I do have something in mind but yes, it was/is veery much dependent on the level of support that AF:F attracted.

Want a hint???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries David, just keep the goodness coming. Well that looks interesting...Thanks for the sneak peak.

BTW, congrats on the funding. I had no doubts about that happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter backers are also guaranteeing they get in on the first print run too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:

Want a hint???

I like what I am seeing there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Out of focus dice? Awesome!

*ducks and runs*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Hammermueller
United States
Cedar Grove
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - those colonies sure look great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
Clever Mojo Games has one popular product (thanks to Kickstarter Backers who were not yet jaded, I think) and, so far, every penny of profit has gone back into printing larger quantities of Alien Frontiers and doing all the background work of design, development, and art for several new games--like Sunrise City, and Factions, and Swinging Jivecat Voodoo Lounge, and Princes of the Dragon Throne, and Flummox, and Sailing Toward Osiris. Let me tell you now that NONE of those games will ever get published without the generous help of Kickstarter backers.

The title Sailing Toward Osiris sounds really good. Can you tell us what it's about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
Michael...Really...I was not slamming you...sorry that it came out that way. My tirade has been building for a while now due to a lot of comments made on other threads and it just finally boiled over.

Yes, I do have something in mind but yes, it was/is veery much dependent on the level of support that AF:F attracted.

Want a hint???

hmmm.... woot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stadi wrote:
The title Sailing Toward Osiris sounds really good. Can you tell us what it's about?

Thanks for noticing Sailing Toward Osiris. It's a title that lurked in my mind for a year or so before finally getting a prototype built in time to let my friends try it out at Origins. It went over pretty well for a first draft and I'm eager to get back to it, but I've been really busy prepping Alien Frontiers: Factions and Sunrise City for their Kickstarter fund raising projects so it is just sitting on the shelf at the moment.

You can read a little about it here http://clevermojogames.com/games/sailing-toward-osiris/

and you can see the prototype board here http://db.tt/okCPbQ1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
First I thought it would be science-fiction (like the planet Osiris) because of the Alien Frontiers connection. But anyway, the title is still great. A re-theme maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
CleverMojo wrote:

Maybe I'm just a naive fool (it has been said), but Kickstarter is ...

-snip-

Read this the other day. Only just now read the comments on the other thread which presumably stung you.

I think you've just struck the common misconception about Kickstarter - people really DO expect to get something (cheaper, a bonus free item) when pledging. It doesn't help that it looks like a venture capital thing, and with VC you expect to get some sort of tangible return. And of course you gave away bonus stuff before, so it becomes expected.

Keep in mind that AF was the first game funded by KS, and so people who know of it only because of that will think that what you did was standard, and expect it again. Whether you like it or not, you've tapped into some people who don't share your vision of simply funding something as an end unto itself.

Not saying I don't understand your frustration - in fact I think it would probably be best if you stuck a version of your rant on the KS page just so everyone is clear about the purpose of the whole thing.

Love the domes BTW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pierce
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:

OK...I've said my piece and probably dug may grave at the same time...let the flames begin. I'm not ranting at any one person, but about the general perception of tangible Kickstarter projects...it is how I feel and how I see things.

Well said, and a good reminder of the true spirit of Kickstarter. Some of the comments on other threads remind me of the people who complain because their annual bonus is not as big as it was last year. In their minds the perks have become an entitlement...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have funded several games where the response and the amount of funding determined whether the game would be published or not. Games that I helped funded this way were Kickstarter projects (Alien Frontiers and the expansion, Flash Point and Eminent Domain), Valley Games pre-orders (Supernova, Container and Titan along with a couple others), GMT Games (Urban Sprawl) and Z-Man Games (Agricola).

A couple of reasons that I purchased these games through the funding (pre-order) model was that the publisher was getting the money and also to be one of the ones who helped make it happen. Some had specials of some kind for helping and some did not have much of a real financial benefit but I knew that when I supported the project.

I guess the thing that seems important to me is that, "it is made clear that you are helping to fund the project to help get it published." I think that Kickstarter projects are very good about this because they have a goal that they need to hit to make the project happen and it is listed on the project page.

You know what you are getting for your support when discounts or perks associated with that funding are listed when you sign up. Any other perks or discounts you get that were not specified when you signed up are just gravy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Wallop !
mbmb
CleverMojo wrote:

Want a hint???

Holy Mother of Awesome Looking Bits

surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.