Hide
7 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Seeking confirmation on VOF rules 6.1, 6.2, 6.2.3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Grossman
msg tools
6.1 says that the when multiple spotted enemy cards come into the LOS of a US unit that has not yet opened fire, the second priority (after proximity) for determining which of the cards the US unit will open fire on is "The card with the highest VOF." I assume "VOF" in this case refers to the VOF of the enemy units occupying the cards, not any VOF markers on the cards, and that "highest"means "best" (i.e., numerically lowest). Is that correct?

6.2 says: "If units from both sides occupy a card AND no other fire is coming into the card, then place two VOF Markers: place the best friendly Basic VOF Marker in the upper left and the best enemy Basic VOF Marker in the lower left."

I get that, but it doesn't say what happens if other fire IS fire coming into the card. I assume that in such a case, each unit on the mutally occupied card is attacked by the best basic VOF that can be brought to bear against it, whether that fire is coming from inside or outside the card. Is that correct?

6.2.3 says, "If a lone enemy unit with a friendly VOF Marker on its card moves to another card in LOS and along the same PDF, any friendly fire against that unit follows the unit to the new card." 6.1 in the errata says "enemy units will NOT continue to fire into a card where there are no longer any valid targets. In this case, assume that the enemy has received a Cease Fire order."

So, if a US unit with an enemy VOF Marker on its card similarly moves to another card in LOS and along the same PDF as the enemy unit, the enemy does NOT auto track it to the new card as per 6.2.3.; it ceases fire (6.1, errata), and then immediately checks to see if and upon whom it opens fire according to the priorities listed in 6.1 (which means it might opens up on a totally different target). Is that correct? Also, why wasn't that erratum included in the 2.1 rules? It seems important. Does it still apply?

Thanks in advance,

RG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, the most dangerous enemy is fired at.

2) If fire is coming from outside the card, use part a) of the rule:

Quote:
a. If units are firing into the card from a different card, then place
one Basic VOF Marker in the upper left of the card, regardless
of how many units or cards are involved. The VOF Marker will
reflect the best (lowest) VOF Rating of all units firing. The VOF
applies to all occupants of the card regardless of which side they
are

Remember that snipers, grenades and mines are treated differently, and use special VOF rules.

3) The enemy activities are determined by the hierarchy charts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Grossman
msg tools
Thanks, Darrell.

Quote:
1) Yes, the most dangerous enemy is fired at.

That's what I thought. I do think the rule could spell that out more clearly. Maybe instead of "The card with the highest VOF," it could say, "The card containing enemy units with the best VOF (i.e., lowest numerically)."

Quote:
2) If fire is coming from outside the card, use part a) of the rule

I totally (and stupidly) overlooked 6.2.a! It explains it very clearly.

Quote:
3) The enemy activities are determined by the hierarchy charts.

Yes, I know, but I think the point is that the enemy unit in my example immediately opens fire as per 6.1 when the US moves out of the card, rather than tracking the US to the new card (like US units do with the enemy). Then, during the next activity check, you consult the hierarchy charts to see what the enemy unit does next. At least that is my current take on it!

Thanks for the response,

RG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
moosepuppy wrote:
Quote:
2) If fire is coming from outside the card, use part a) of the rule

I totally (and stupidly) overlooked 6.2.a! It explains it very clearly.

No it was a good question. I remember studying this at length for just the same reason. I hate having to parse every word, sentence, or in this case paragraphs. Rules should explain things clearly not force you into mental gymnastics esp. when easily cleared up by adding a simple sentence. Oh well off the rules rant and off to play games on a rainy Labor day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the enemy forces check at the end of each activity to see if they have a US unit in sight - if they do, they open fire:

Quote:
With each on-map activity all friendly units must be checked
to see if they are eligible to open fire. If not already engaged, your
units with a clear LOS and range to a spotted enemy unit will immediately open fire. Any activity during the course of a turn may
result in units engaging. This also applies equally to enemy units.
Any unengaged enemy units will open fire on your friendly units as
soon as your units become spotted in range of enemy Basic VOF.

So, after your units move, the enemy will fire on them (assuming they can still see them - if not they will fire elsewhere). Since the US fire automatically follows the enemy, the enemy fire will also follow the US units as they move.

Quote:
If a lone enemy unit with a friendly VOF Marker on its card moves to another card in LOS and along the same PDF, any friendly fire against that unit follows the unit to the new card.

Once they have a target, they will keep it until the hierarchy chart tells them otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Grossman
msg tools
Quote:
Since the US fire automatically follows the enemy, the enemy fire will also follow the US units as they move.

Okay, that is exactly what I was trying to figure out; whether 6.2.3 was reciprocal. I was reading "friendly" to mean US and "enemy" to mean everybody else, and assumed it did not apply in reverse or it would have said so. You're saying the rule implicitly applies to both sides, which now that I read it over again seems right. It also doesn't make sense that US units would track enemy units when they move onto new cards along the PDF, but enemy units wouldn't do the same when US units moved.

Thanks for the response,

RG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, your friendly and enemy definitions are correct.

No, it doesn't explicitly say the enemy will track your forces as they move, but even if they ceased firing, they would immediately start firing again if they still have your forces in sight.

I am assuming that the enemy will only change targets when told to (by the hierarchy tables), therefore they would open fire at the old target which had just moved, which is no different to tracking that target in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.