Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noob questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Brennan
United States
Morris Plains
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if these are really basic. Ttrying to learn the game solo b4 playing w/others.

Monster with +1 combat modifier. Does that mean the investegator gets an extra die to role? I assume yes, if -1 means you get 1 less die.

If there are multiple monsters on a space, I assume i fight 1 then the other in the same turn, assuming i want to and can? Do i choose which to fight first, unless the monsters or other rule force which I fight?

If i enter a location with a gate and multiple monsters, what is the order of events? I assume get sucked thru the gate first, play thru oherworld, return to same location (assuming there are no alternate gates to choose), fight both monsters, then try to close gate. I assume this is three turns. Turn 1 sucked thru gate, turn 2, otherword movement & encounter. Assuming successful resolution of encounter, turn three, return to gate location, fight monster 1, fight monster 2, the close gate (assuming all combats won & no special rules forcing other actions.)

Thanks
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jayb3369 wrote:
Sorry if these are really basic. Ttrying to learn the game solo b4 playing w/others.

Monster with +1 combat modifier. Does that mean the investegator gets an extra die to role? I assume yes, if -1 means you get 1 less die.
Correct!

Quote:
If there are multiple monsters on a space, I assume i fight 1 then the other in the same turn, assuming i want to and can? Do i choose which to fight first, unless the monsters or other rule force which I fight?
you can fight or evade each monster in turn in any order you choose. You can fight some and evade others or do the same thing to each of them. It's all up to you.

Quote:
If i enter a location with a gate and multiple monsters, what is the order of events? I assume get sucked thru the gate first, play thru oherworld, return to same location (assuming there are no alternate gates to choose), fight both monsters, then try to close gate. I assume this is three turns. Turn 1 sucked thru gate, turn 2, otherword movement & encounter. Assuming successful resolution of encounter, turn three, return to gate location, fight monster 1, fight monster 2, the close gate (assuming all combats won & no special rules forcing other actions.)

Thanks
I'm afraid that you have to deal with the Monsters before you go through the Gate. Play it by the Phases: phase II is movement and you resolve monsters in phase II - so this is when you fight/evade them. Phase III is Arkham Encounters and you resolve Gates during Phase III - so this is when you get drawn through. On your return to Arkham (during phase II of your third turn after entering the Gate) you can resolve the Gate in Phase III and you can ignore any monsters that may have turned up until phase II on the next turn.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few additions to MC's excellent answers...

mccrispy wrote:
jayb3369 wrote:

If there are multiple monsters on a space, I assume i fight 1 then the other in the same turn, assuming i want to and can? Do i choose which to fight first, unless the monsters or other rule force which I fight?
you can fight or evade each monster in turn in any order you choose. You can fight some and evade others or do the same thing to each of them. It's all up to you.


It's worth noting that if you combat any of the monsters in a space, you must stop moving for the turn, even if you evade others; if you evade all monsters, you can continue moving.

Quote:
Quote:
If i enter a location with a gate and multiple monsters, what is the order of events? I assume get sucked thru the gate first, play thru oherworld, return to same location (assuming there are no alternate gates to choose), fight both monsters, then try to close gate. I assume this is three turns. Turn 1 sucked thru gate, turn 2, otherword movement & encounter. Assuming successful resolution of encounter, turn three, return to gate location, fight monster 1, fight monster 2, the close gate (assuming all combats won & no special rules forcing other actions.)

Thanks
I'm afraid that you have to deal with the Monsters before you go through the Gate. Play it by the Phases: phase II is movement and you resolve monsters in phase II - so this is when you fight/evade them. Phase III is Arkham Encounters and you resolve Gates during Phase III - so this is when you get drawn through. On your return to Arkham (during phase II of your third turn after entering the Gate) you can resolve the Gate in Phase III and you can ignore any monsters that may have turned up until phase II on the next turn.


There's an unusual and often misunderstood rule at work here as well; you do not have to deal with any monsters in your location on the turn you return to Arkham; however, you may combat them if you wish, even combatting some and ignoring (not evading; ignoring) others. This immunity only applies to the turn you return to Arkham; if you return during Other World Encounters or Mythos phase, you will have to dealwith any monsters before attempting to close the gate.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You might find this thread useful, too:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6305697#6305697
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Brennan
United States
Morris Plains
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Re: Noob questions
Thanks, all this explains a lot. I'm now clear except for one last point. Movement in the OW ignores movement points, so I didn't use a movement point to return from the OW, right? Since returning from the OW is part of the movement phase, I assume I can continue to move off the gate to another location if I want, assuming I have movement points available? (I don't know why I wouldn't want to stay and try to close the gate, but let's assume there's some reason.)

Which makes me think of another question. The rules say that each investigator in a location during the encounter phase must draw an encounter card for that location. This means if I choose not to move from a location, the next turn I draw another encounter card for that location, right?

And, let's say I've returned from the OW and am now on a gate. If I fail to close a gate and choose to remain there for the next turn to try to close it again, do I draw a new encounter card for that location? Or do I try to close the gate again, and if I succeed, I draw a new location card?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You use your movement phase to move from OW back to Arkham, so no, you can't then move on

2) If you stay in a loc, you do another Arkham Encounter next turn, yes

3) No encounters in a loc with a gate - but you can try close it again

I think
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jayb3369 wrote:
Thanks, all this explains a lot. I'm now clear except for one last point. Movement in the OW ignores movement points, so I didn't use a movement point to return from the OW, right? Since returning from the OW is part of the movement phase, I assume I can continue to move off the gate to another location if I want, assuming I have movement points available? (I don't know why I wouldn't want to stay and try to close the gate, but let's assume there's some reason.)

If you start the Movement Phase in an Other World location, you do not get any movement points that turn... so no reading tomes, and no movement (other than advancing to the second location of an Other World or Returning to Arkham).

Quote:
Which makes me think of another question. The rules say that each investigator in a location during the encounter phase must draw an encounter card for that location. This means if I choose not to move from a location, the next turn I draw another encounter card for that location, right?

Correct.

Quote:
And, let's say I've returned from the OW and am now on a gate. If I fail to close a gate and choose to remain there for the next turn to try to close it again, do I draw a new encounter card for that location? Or do I try to close the gate again, and if I succeed, I draw a new location card?

You never draw an Encounter card at a Location with an open Gate, unless you are using a house rule. If you attempt to close a Gate, the attempt IS your Encounter for that turn; you do not draw a card afterwards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.