Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Elf Catacombs card says: "You may discard any of your Loot as a bribe and then roll 1 die and multiply the result by 100. If the result is less than the total gold value of your discarded Loot, you may exit the Catacombs. If the die result is higher, the Deep Elf attacks you: resolve the combat using Sorcerer Power cards and token but you must attack (you cannot escape)"

If I draw this and have no loot cards, I'm assuming this means I just go ahead and resolve combat with the Deep Elf?

In a solo match before I try to teach this game, I had a Bottle Imp Loot card when I drew the Deep Elf. I'm assuming I can't use the Bottle Imp card as a bribe since it doesn't have a value on it, and would again be forced to resolve combat with the Deep Elf?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up over on the FFG forums a while back. If you don't attempt to bribe ("may" being the key word here), nothing happens. If you do bribe, you either pass and exit the Catacombs or fight the DE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
This came up over on the FFG forums a while back. If you don't attempt to bribe ("may" being the key word here), nothing happens. If you do bribe, you either pass and exit the Catacombs or fight the DE.

Thanks! I played like this, but was unsure.
By the way, the gold value of the Bottle Imp card is zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

Do you have a reference for this? This makes the Deep Elf worthless; why would you bother to even try unless you were extremely desperate to get out?

DQ seems to be a game about "screw the player whenever there is a question". This seems to be quite the opposite effect.

The way I read the card is the "may" applies only to the ability to bribe, but bribe or no bribe, the results still apply. I would never play it otherwise, as anything that makes the game "easier" for the heroes seems out of character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No reference as such. However, many FFG games have a thing wtih the word "then", as in stuff prior to that word has to take place or nothing after it can't happen. Note that here the escape from Catacombs and combat results are both tied to the bribe. If you don't bribe, you never roll the die.

For 600g, DE is as free Exit from the Catacombs, you can chance him with less of you're feeling lucky. If things have been going good Loot-wise but bad health or timewise, getting an early exit may be worth the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit the card does read that way. I don't agree that's what was intended. So the Deep Elf will ignore you if you bump into him, and don't even bother with a bribe, but if you DO bribe him, he may attack you for it?

Was this ever an "official" ruling, or just a forum consensus? (The latter is worthless to me, because forum consensus' are often wrong).

Regardless, I will never play that the Deep Elf is anything but hostile by nature - only bribes will potentially placate him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I'll admit the card does read that way. I don't agree that's what was intended. So the Deep Elf will ignore you if you bump into him, and don't even bother with a bribe, but if you DO bribe him, he may attack you for it?

Yeah, that doesn't seem right, thematically. Reading about the Deep Elves in the rulebook, it appears, that the Deep Elf wants your gold anyway devil

I think, I will play the same way as sigmazero13 next time.

rulebook, p. 29 wrote:
They have become an elite order of assassins, hiring their knives and their skills out to the highest bidder. Greedy and conniving, they will even turn on their masters if the price is right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.