Hide
16 Posts

Gears of War: The Board Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Is the Gnasher Shotgun garbage or is it just me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Suplex
msg tools
I just think the Gnasher is terrible compared to the Lancer.

- It can't shoot more than 1 area away, even with penalties.
- It does the same damage as the Lancer, so no real upside there
- It only really becomes deadly if you roll a 6, but if you roll more than one 6 the others are wasted

I just don't see any reason to have this weapon over the Lancer. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Rose
msg tools
I've played through 4 solo so far, died once, the Gnasher has saved my a$$ twice though. I admit it was a couple of lucky rolls, with overkill shots, but doubling the damage dice is actually very effective especially when you can couple it with an ambush card, use it during a guard action to prevent a locust (like a wretch) from hurting you with an attack, or go on a rampage with pummel.

Personally I like it, but i keep a lancer or hammerburst as well for the ranged shots i'll need. Usually I'll take it if i have an empty slot or a pistol i can be rid of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels generally not as good as the lancer. I try to get another weapon for Dom as soon as possible. It does have the ability to hit those higher damage spikes, but I don't know how useful that is compared to the flexibility that you lose.
Dom's passive ability is amazing though. I think that's factored into his starting gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske the younger
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have played 5 three player games (3 wins 2 losses) as part of a three man group using Dom. I can give you my perspective on the Shotgun.

My conclusions about Dom and his shotgun:

1. The shotgun is not a bad weapon but it is very situational.

2. Dom needs something with range quickly (grab a locust rifle for him and you will be happy)

3. Dom will and should burn through shotgun ammo (this is why i like the Gnasher, what i shoot dies) ex. in Emergence I fired it twice (using ammo) at boomers and killed both thanks to it's ability, In China Shop (thanks to Doms speed) I grabbed the Hammer and using a rapid reload wounded the Berzerker and then offed him with the shotgun (thanks to the ability), in Belly of the Beast the shotgun (without using ammo) was quite useful in killing off lambent's when it's ability came up.

4. The shotgun will reliably kill mid-level locust and has a decent shot of one-shotting the heavy hitters if you burn ammo. Combined with Dom's movement you can make hit and run attacks to mitigate the range issue)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad someone brought this up, as no one so far has taken that character, as the shotgoun sounded awful.

On a side note, are we correct?: No ammo tokens means no use of that weapon at all (not counting the snub of course)?

If so, when you start with just one ammo token, and you make even ONE overkill shot, that weapon is useless?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
I'm glad someone brought this up, as no one so far has taken that character, as the shotgoun sounded awful.

Dominic is always the last to be chosen in our games, for just that reason.

Purple Paladin wrote:

On a side note, are we correct?: No ammo tokens means no use of that weapon at all (not counting the snub of course)?

Correct, unless it's the Lancer Assault Rifle and you're better than I at rolling "Omens" in close combat.

Purple Paladin wrote:

If so, when you start with just one ammo token, and you make even ONE overkill shot, that weapon is useless?

Useless until you find an "Ammo" card on a "?", or play the "Scavenge" card.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suplex
msg tools
tkelly wrote:
Purple Paladin wrote:

Dominic is always the last to be chosen in our games, for just that reason.

The flip side with Dom is that he has arguably the best ability of the 4 characters. And finding him another weapon shouldn't take too long...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jensen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Dom the most out of all the Gears. He is probably my favorite character. Don't let starting with a shotgun deter away from him. His ability makes up for it. Last game with Dom I also picked up a boomshot. He was a blast to play at either close range or distance range. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Is the shotgun really that bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get double damage if you roll an Omen. Since you almost always roll 2 dice, if your REALLY lucky, you'll roll an Omen and 2 hits. Big whoop.

Lucky enough to roll 2 Omens? Great? Nope. You get zilch I beleive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you almost always need/want to use an overkill attack with the Shotgun, but then you need to stock up on some more ammo (just wish Dom started with 3 on the Shotgun, one less on Pistol or grenades, whichever of them starts with 2). Twice in my plays of Emergence, 16A (where you can get 3 ammo) has been the last location and its ability hasn't been used before the game ended, need to draw those Scrounging (?) cards that allow you to move 2 and add an ammo for something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The shotgun is unimpressive on an ordinary attack. On an overkill, it puts the lancer to shame. It's biggest weakness is its limited range, but Dom's ability to move counteracts that a bit. Ultimately though, the shotgun's ordinary attach does 0 to 4 hits up close, which isn't any different than a lancer. It's just more of an all or nothing effect.

I'm not saying it's my favorite weapon, but it's not nearly as weak as people seem to be suggesting. It is more ammo dependent, but then again, all my games run low on ammo near the end.

I've done quite well with the shotgun in my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the shotgun if you want to reliably cut locust in 1/2 on over-kills.

Plinking away? Only on wretch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Basar Cenik
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without overkill, the shotgun has shorter range and smaller average damage output than Lancer, without the chainsaw. It's only advantage over Lancer is the ability to one-shot kill Boomers which cannot be chainsawed.
On the other hand, Santiago has the best special ability of all COGs. The first dropped weapon should always go to Santiago, from there on he is an awesome character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the glorious performance Gnasher did in today's game, I'd like to see another weapon match it.

Mission: Showdown

First need to kill a Feral Berserker, then General RAAM. What did both of them in? Yep, the Gnasher. FB got Bolo'd (as required), leaving it with 5 Health, so Dom stepped up and BLAM, 10 dmg! Fast-forward quite a few turns (first time we managed to seal all e-holes on the first level, so we hung around there for quite a while getting our hands to the ideal condition), RAAM is heavily wounded after Cole's triple attack turn, Dom steps up and WHAMMO, 12 dmg!!! Which would've been enough to kill RAAM even from his full Health mode in one shot. Gnasher is a boss killer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.