Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a hard time envisioning myself using these according to the instructions. The effects of many of these cards are pretty massive; if you just randomly shuffle them into the room decks as intended, and you get 2 in favor of the players or 2 in favor of the Catacomb Lord, I think that's going to be a pretty overwhelming swing.

For example, there is a card that lets every monster of the same color (Catacomb Lord picks color) take an extra melee shot before their normal action, every turn. Imagine getting that with one of the rooms that has like 12 undead on it. Or there's a card that let's the players bypass all remainig rooms and head directly to the Catacomb Lord's lair. There are multiple cards that put many monsters on the board after the fight is done, and they get to move before the heroes; depending on the situation, this could easily be a kill on a hero that had 5 or 6 health left.

It's not that I don't like the idea of powerful cards that substantially change the encounters; I think it adds some great variety. I just wonder if it might not be better to split them into two stacks, one for cards that favor the Catacomb Lord and one for cards that favor the Heroes, and deal equal amounts of each, or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
I don't have this expansion yet (still shipping supposedly) but I'm wondering if you can use them similar to Descent's Overlord cardds. Separate the cards into stacks as you suggest and give them values based on strength (as you elude to in another thread). At the start of the game you draw a hand of 5 cards and each group can spend kills (in the case of the heroes) or damage results (in the case of the Catacomb Lord- meaning count how much damage you've inflicted across all heroes and that's how many points you can spend) to play one card. Catacomb Lord would have first option to play a card and Heroes would have an option to respond.

This would need a lot of balancing and testing but might open the use of these cards in interesting ways.

In any case, even if you don't try the above, I'd like to here about how you weight the cards and what the final result is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.