Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am revisiting Dominion, having bailed the first go round. Frankly I am looking for a way to solo the game utilizing a random draw of some kind. Not just for the Kingdom cards but for the tableau as well. The thing I like about Aggy is the near infinite number of cards. If I could somehow draw cards to the hand, either one at a time or in a small group to choose from, I might have a foothold into the game. I do have some friends that could play the straight up game with, but thinking solo here.

Is this entirely wishful thinking or can someone point me to a variant in this vein. I notice you guys have variants up the yahzoo for this thing.

Cheers!
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
I've usually seen "tableau" to refer to the set of cards that make up the Supply (and specifically the parts that can vary, namely Kingdom Cards and Colonies/Platinums and Potions), but you seem to be drawing an explicit distinction between the Kingdom Cards and the tableau. Could you clarify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so. What do you call the array of cards on the table that are purchased?

R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbage wrote:
Just so. What do you call the array of cards on the table that are purchased?

R

I'm not sure... the Supply Area?

We always just call it "the board" in my group, which of course makes no sense at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's difficult to give precise definitions, because almost everything you could define has an exception depending on what cards are being used.

The cards that are generally available to Buy or Gain are called the Supply.

The cards from which you select 10 to use in each game are called Kingdom cards. The 10 Kingdom cards selected for a particular game are part of the Supply.

The cards in the Supply that are not Kingdom cards don't have a collective name that I can tell. They include the 7 cards in play in every game (such as Silver and Curse) and other cards in play in only some games (such as Colony and Potion).

There are also cards in play that are not in the Supply. These include players' Hands, Decks, and Discard piles, cards that have been set aside (such as with Island), cards in the Trash, and other cards (such as the Black Market deck and the Prizes). Note that the official term for the draw pile is "deck." None of the other cards that belong to you (such as your discard pile) are part of your deck, but they are added to your deck at the end of the game.

Although you can generally only Buy or Gain cards from the Supply, individual cards may allow you to Buy or Gain cards from other places. For example, Thief allows you to Gain cards from the Trash, Black Market allows you to Buy cards from the Black Market deck, and Tournament allows you to Gain cards from the Prize pile.

Selecting 10 Kingdom cards to use in each game is a basic part of the rules, but it is possible to have a different number of Kingdom cards in the Supply (such as with Young Witch).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your use of language is confusing.

Robbage wrote:
I am looking for a way to solo the game

Does this mean you want a single-player variant?

Robbage wrote:
utilizing a random draw of some kind. Not just for the Kingdom cards but for the tableau as well.

Okay, as has been stated, the Kingdom cards are the ten cards that can change between games. Players often select them randomly. Which other cards are in play are determined by the rules, so it doesn't seem like you could randomize those. What are you talking about here?

Robbage wrote:
The thing I like about Aggy is the near infinite number of cards.

What's Aggy? Agricola? Regardless, if you include all the expansions and fan-cards, Dominion also has a "near infinite" number of cards.

Robbage wrote:
If I could somehow draw cards to the hand, either one at a time or in a small group to choose from, I might have a foothold into the game.

You have the blue-backed randomizer cards, right? You should have one of each Kingdom card in there, and you can use those to randomly or deliberately select the Kingdom cards to be used. Of course, once again, I'm really not sure if that's what you're asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.