United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Initial Impressions

My initial impressions were that the Belgians needed good roles/a little bit of luck to stop the Russians. The forces on board seemed to be fairly well balanced – but the external support seemed unbalanced:

· More artillery

· Air Support

· Designated Formation (this was huge)

· 8-1 Leader

So the Belgians would need to disrupt the formations ensuring that they would become spread out and crippled by Out of Command penalties. The Russians would need to pick and axis of attack and force the issue.

Setup
Belgians

Not knowing where the Russians would come from, the Belgians set up with maximum fields of fire for the TOW, MILAN and Striker vehicles. The though was to reduce/delay each formation until the Lancers could come in and finish the disrupted elements off. The Motors set up in a supporting position and no spotters (HQ unit set up with them). This was a huge mistake, its range and firepower could disrupt and delay the Russians. The Scouting Company was set up fairly well forward, thinking that it would shoot and scoot. As you will see later, they did the shoot part well – but the scoot not so much.

Russians:

I split the 77th and the KG on different sides of the boards – thinking that I would push the 77ths down quickly to see if I could get one of the bridges across the River – also thinking that the lone Striker vehicle was less scary than a MILAN/TOW combo. The KG would skirt the northern edge (due to the seam the Belgians gave).

Turn 1:

· End of Turn Marker

· Designated Formation Marker – assigned to 77th
o Striker disrupted on company
o 120 MM disrupts the Striker (Motors are evil in this game)
o Rest of team moved to the outskirts of Wedelheine

· End of turn marker

Both the Belgians and the Russians get to hold an end of turn marker

Turn 2

· Designated Formation – 77th again
o Both disrupted units fail to rally
o Pushed up quickly to 2/4 in Ohnhost
o No return fire from 2/4th due to ops complete

· 2CDO (Chit goes back into cup)
o TOW and MILAN move up into advance positions

· Chaos – WP Volly fire

· 2/4
o Rally all units
o Artillery disrupts one unit and Striker disrupts another

· 2/4th again
o Striker disrupts another (poor rolling)
o Scorpion reduces it

· KG – enter and move West. TOW jeep hits twice – but T-80s ignore (going to be a common theme) (chit put back into cup)

· 77th
o 7 rally attempts – 3 succeed
o Good order companies dismount and advance

· End of turn drawn

Turn 3

· 77th
o Artillery strike on Striker – no effect
o Advanced Scorpion killed by leader platoon
o Scimitar disrupted through close assault

· 2CDO
o TOW disrupts a T-80
o MILAN hits ignored
o Had to pull a jeep back to tow the MTR

· Jamming Chit pulled and placed on 2/4th

· 77th
o 1 INF rallied
o Sagger disrupts the Striker and close assault kills it along with the 2/4 HQ unit

· 2CDO
o Artillery missed
o TOW reduces T-80 (finally!!!!)
o MILAN missed (as usual)

· 2/4th
o Artillery onto 77th disrupts a unit
o Jamming eliminated
o Gutted remains pull back – it is effectively eliminated as a fighting force

· End Turn drawn

Turn 4

· 2/4 – Continues to pull back

· 2CDO
o 5d6 Artillery on 77th – NO Hits (GRRRRRR)
o MILAN – 3 hits. T-80 – 3 saves
o TOW – 2 hits – T-80 – 2 saves

· KG
o Activate advance
o Rally unsuccessful

· End of Turn Marker

· 2CDO
o MTR disrupts 77th push to bridge
o Milan – 3 hits – 2 ignored – disrupt!!!!
o TOW – 4 hits (yes) – 3 ignored (WTH!!!!)
o 60MM MTR repositions
o INF reinforce Rausdorf

· 2/4th – nothing (going to be a common occurrence)

· 77th
o Leader rallies & Mounts up
o All others fail

· End of Turn

Turn 5

1st Lancers Added to Cup

SU-24 added to Cup

· 2/4th – Nothing

· Chaos – WP Volley Fire

· Designated Formation (KG – 77th is pretty messed up now)
o Successful rally
o Push West

· 1st Lancers – enter and position in a blocking position

· SU-24 enters – targets Hawk – but is disrupted by HAWK battery and leaves trailing smoke (hmmmm, that was ineffective)

· Turn End

· 2CDO
o MTR disrupts Hero, INF and BTR
o TOW and MILAN both ineffective (T-80s saved)

· 2CDO
o 60MM – miss
o MILAN – 1 hit, 1 save
o TOW – 3 hits – 0 saves on the HQ stack. T-80 eliminated. HQ is fine…
o INF close assault and get 2 hits (Disrupt and reduction) – disrupted in return – but they did their jobs!

· 2/4th Nothing

· End of Turn (Russian gets the Chit for next turn – 77th did not activate)

Turn 6

· 2CDO
o 60MM 1 hit, 1 save…..
o TOW 2 hits, 3 saves
o MILAN 2 hits, 2 saves (this should be a huge warning sign – and it looks like the KG will be able to skirt out.

· 2/4 – Nothing

· Designated Formation – KG
o 2 rallies
o Successfully overruns the Belgian inf – eliminating them
o Fire against TOW was ineffective by Tungusta (seems fitting)

· KG (double Activations are Brutal)
o Pedal to the metal and head to the west
o 1 Company off board
o 2 CDO MTR succeeds in disrupting one

· 1st Lancers – clear off Op Complete and wait to Ambush the KG

· 77th

o Only 1 INF rallies
o INF starts to head towards 2/4 to put pressure on (and keep them from blocking the KG)

· Chaos – Communications breakdown against….

· 2/4 – who does nothing, so Com breakdown means nothing

· Turn end

Turn 7

HINDS added

· 2/4 – Nothing (have to respect the 77th)

· 77th
o 2 rallies
o Advance

· Turn End

· 2/4 – Fires on 77th – disrupting BTR

· 90th ACR – flies nap of the earth behind a hill – will do a pop up attack next turn against HAWK (I probably should have moved the HAWK to a more defensible position….oops)

· KG – CHARGE!!!!!
o Lancers respond
1) 1 hit, 2 saves
2) 3 Hits 1 save (reduced unit) – dead
3) 1 hit, 4 saves
o Lancers are ineffective…..shake
o 2 Companies off – 5 left

· 2CDO
o TOW kills Tunguska
o Milan – 2 hits 2 saves on T-80

· Please be 1st Lancers….Please be 1st Lancers

· Designated Formation - KG
o 5 Companies off
o Game over

Rule Mistakes:

At this point, I have a good feel for the rule set, so I only needed a refresher and I caught that on the first turn – I had the HQ units for the Belgians set up by themselves. Only areas that required clarification were helicopter rules and chaos.

Strategy Mistakes

Russians:
· I should have concentrated my forces more

· Not killing the TOW jeep and MILAN

Bottom line is that I got lucky – both the TOW and MILAN rolled slightly below average, and the Russians rolled above average really limited their impact – but had that changed at all, the KG would never made it Kronshorse. Further, if I focused on 1 axis of attack, it would have forced the Belgians to move into unprepared positions.

Belgians

· Placing the 2CDO Motor without a spotter – while it would not have reduced anything – its value is in disruption. Combine this with slightly better AT rolling and the KGs would be smoking ruins. Coupled was the lack of Transportation it is a towed unit.

· Letting the 77th get close enough to close assault. It did not help that the activation chits were against me – but dual activation by the 77th to close in and kill the Striker and 2 other companies really hurt – effectively took the 2/4th out of the game

· Don’t be afraid to move around as the defense I held Rausdorf for much to long after I realized it was not important anymore.

Final Observations
· WOW, anti-air missiles are brutal – given the presence of the HAWK missile battery, there was very little chance that the Russians would kill anything by air. The SU-24 was dead before he could find a target and at least one of the HINDs were going to die to kill the Hawk.

· NATO forces having limited chits. The 1st Lancers only having one activation chit made their impact much smaller. Effectively turned them from a counter attacking force to more of a reaction force.

I will definitely play this one again to see if I can address some of my stupidities. I ended up playing the Russians slightly better in retrospect and want to see if I can get it closer to neutral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Great AAR.
FElt like I was there. Nice job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason roberts
msg tools
mb
I Agree great AAR report!Have wanted this game for a while + this confirms it.What's your overall impression of the game so far? Enough random chit draws to make each replay different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalojoe wrote:
I Agree great AAR report!Have wanted this game for a while + this confirms it.What's your overall impression of the game so far? Enough random chit draws to make each replay different?

Replays differ more when you try new strategies. I wouldn't say that scenarios differ greatly when you try the same axis of advance or defending the same position. Really that boils down to A. who gets the chit draw, and B. who rolls better (as you saw with the T80's and the Belgian ATGMs in this AAR). That's what I've found after replaying scenarios. Essentially: "You do what you always done, you're [probably] gonna get what you always got."

That's not to say it's not replayable, I really like this one, it's easy, quick to play, and loads of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalojoe wrote:

Thanks all for the kind words - and to answer your question. I love the game. I get a nice light to medium wargame that is VERY solo friendly on a topic that has not been done nearly enough. He'll I broke out my copy of Coyles's Team Yankee today for some fun fall reading......

Echoing Matthew - game definitely has replayabilty - and I believe it comes from two main elements

- strategy. Clearly this is the biggest variable. For example if I concentrated the Russians or used the Belgian scouts more like scouts (shoot and scoot) instead of toe to toe combatants, the game would have gone much differently

- activation chits. Lots of variation here as you could see. Had the 1st Lancers activate in turn 7 they would have killed 2 T-80 companies - enough to force the 77the to get serious

All that being said, I think each scenario is worth 2 to 3 plays and at 10 scenarios and 2 to 3 hours per play, there 40 to 90 hours worth of out of box fun - not including any fan produced stuff....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Martz
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice AAR. My regular opponent and I did it last weekend. He set up in much too far forward and I was able to smash his northern forces with the KG and exit almost all of them by the end of turn 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.