Dmitry Volevodz
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What is the efficient strategy to protect oneself when you are getting attacked by few players? Today I had this situation:
I was playing Jol-Nar. My first game too.
I managed to set up great sector of galaxy, with many planets. I started expanding fast, had something like 10-12 planets in to time. I think my fail was not making enough fleet. Anyway, I build some fighters, get like 6 techs, going for advanced fighters, make my Flagship, when everyone suddenly realises that with me getting 3 techs every turn they are probably not going to win. At this point I have some fleet, and getting backstabbed by a player with couple of warsuns and other stuff. With some lucky rolls (twice rolled 10 on my flagship, thus getting loads of free hits) I manage to fend them off, but losing 2 planets anyway. Soon another player attacks from the other side. I leave with basically no fleet and third player humping from wormhole on my backyard, taking more planets.
When trying to rebuild I made some PDS'es, fighters, and so on, rebuilt my flagships a few times, but still was getting owned badly.
I managed to set up non-agression pact with a player with warsuns with a price of two planets, and managed to lose huge fleet in attack to fend off another one.
What are your ideas what could be done in that situation?
I finished on second place, because Imperium rex was going out, and I think I could win, given one more round, because I had two publics to fill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
mbmbmbmbmb
At that point in the game, you are most likely to lose the military game. I would have focused solely on getting victory points from pulbic and secret objectives.

Buying tech early in the game is risky. I would recommend putting PDS units out early in a good position, and building a fleet up, first, and then improving the existing units through tech upgrades.

In a game like TI, the challenge is to never be so far ahead that people feel that they must attack you, or lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
After a few more games, you'll realize that as Jol-Nar, buying 3 techs per round is a bad idea if you don't have the fleet to back it up, unless you're getting a tech that makes your fleet amazing.

There's an optional rule called "Sabotage Runs" where you could attempt to get your fighters to kill a War Sun outright. No matter the outcome, all the fighters you send out will die. Roll a die for each fighter you choose to do the Sabotage Run. For each natural 9 or 10, roll another dice. If it is a 10, destroy the War Sun. As Jol-Nar, you may spend a strategy allocation to re-roll the dice that aren't 10's on the second round until you hit, at a rate of 1 CC from Strategy per die.

I have to wonder, if you fended off the invaders, how did you not get the planets back? Did the counter-attack end in a draw?

Another optional rule is "Space Mines" which are like firing on 9's at each non-fighter ship during the movement step. They often do nothing, but they can also be used as a great deterrent.

The way to avoid a two-front war is to appear to be in last place or to look really spiky so that nobody wants to attack you. I would say Advanced Fighters and rebuilding your flagship several times was a mistake. Remember that your flagship can only take 2 hits, and does nothing pre-combat, whilst your Destroyers could be wiping out the fighter swarm before DNs use Assault Cannons. The way to combat a two-front war is to "nearly" abandon locations that you can take back later whilst focusing on wiping out the weaker fleet. A solid strategy is to pull your PDS's back one space so the enemies must face 6 PDS's 2-3 times before killing them. Often they don't have enough GFs to achieve that.

The best way to tech up Jol-Nar is to have a huge economic engine in the early game and maximum pre-combat effects in mid-game. Deep Space Cannons+ADT+Assault Cannons will often annihilate players attacking you. If people are ignoring you, you can easily get Nano Technology, Neural Computing, and Hyper Metabolism by Round 3. Don't be afraid to grab Tech yourself if you anticipate needing to use it earlier. My rule of Thumb is that if I have most of my plastic on the board and I'm not anticipating an attack, I can afford to tech 3 times. If someone's in range of me with a fleet stronger than mine, I only tech twice.

Another thought with the situation you were in was to not counter-attack, and instead just reinforce. You'd get the planets back untapped with Nano Technology anyways, and sending a small fleet on a suicide run on units that are done moving isn't as good as sending a large fleet later, but before they get the chance to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
The other tried and true tactic with Jol-Nar is to focus on Leadership/Logistics and/or Production. Get your fleet supply limit up high fast so that you can outnumber your enemies to offset the combat penalty, making it hard for early aggressors to damage you and enable you to stabilize before going tech crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PMD
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomBoombs wrote:

There's an optional rule called "Sabotage Runs" where you could attempt to get your fighters to kill a War Sun outright. No matter the outcome, all the fighters you send out will die.

TI3 rulebook, page 35:
Quote:
Surviving Fighter units are able to participate in the subsequent Space Battle.

It is called Sabotage Run, not Suicide Run :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergey Ovcharenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emancypator wrote:
TomBoombs wrote:

There's an optional rule called "Sabotage Runs" where you could attempt to get your fighters to kill a War Sun outright. No matter the outcome, all the fighters you send out will die.

TI3 rulebook, page 35:
Quote:
Surviving Fighter units are able to participate in the subsequent Space Battle.

It is called Sabotage Run, not Suicide Run

I think he means that it doesn't matter how many Fighters will survave for chance to destroy War Sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Taylor
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They all die except for Red 5 anyway. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.