Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I've been finding the games I tend to gravitate toward the most are miniatures-based board games (think: Earth Reborn, Space Hulk (third edition), and Tannhäuser, all of which I own). That being said, the next several months look really great for me as a few games I've had my eye on are being released - Leviathans, Puppet Wars, and Super Dungeon Explore.

Since miniatures games tend to be a bit more pricey than other games, I'm looking at picking up just 1 of them for now. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the games (were they fun? did they feel complete and tested? and so on), especially if you tried them out at Gen Con.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lard Head
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't have a lot of meaningful input for you (I haven't played any of three new games you are considering so take this with a grain of salt), but for what it's worth, I am close personal friends with one of the guys who was heavily involved in the design and rule writing of Puppet Wars and have seen some of the evolution of the rules over the course of the game's development. Looks solid to me and my buddy is very picky about game mechanics being right. He has a real knack for understanding how things interact in a game and what works and doesn't work (we've talked about and picked apart countless games and mechanics over the years). I know that there is a lot of game related experience behind the development of Puppet Wars.

Plus Wyrd has fantastic sculpts for their models (especially if you like a melding of pure fantasy and steam-punk elements).

EDIT:

So in your answer to your question of completeness and testing, since I have seen some of the development of Puppet Wars I have personal knowledge of some of those aspects. The game has been pretty heavily worked over and has gone through a number of rule iterations. It appears to be complete and tested to me (hopefully I'll get to play it with my buddy pretty soon and have more insight into how it actually plays rather than just reading the rules).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:
Hi all,

I've been finding the games I tend to gravitate toward the most are miniatures-based board games (think: Earth Reborn, Space Hulk (third edition), and Tannhäuser, all of which I own). That being said, the next several months look really great for me as a few games I've had my eye on are being released - Leviathans, Puppet Wars, and Super Dungeon Explore.

Since miniatures games tend to be a bit more pricey than other games, I'm looking at picking up just 1 of them for now. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the games (were they fun? did they feel complete and tested? and so on), especially if you tried them out at Gen Con.


Hmm while I do not own any of the games you are looking into (since they are mostly unavailable...), I'll see if I can break some thoughts down for you.

Tanhausser is a skirmish level miniatures game along the same lines as Earth Reborn (really really over generalizing but I have a method to my madness). Space Hulk is a squad/team based skirmish level miniature game in a claustrophobic environment.

Super Dungeon Explore is a Dungeon Crawler with an overlord mechanic, more like Descent than a skirmish game.

Leviathans is a Air combat skirmish level game on very open maps (directly opposite of the feel of Space Hulk) with only a handful of units (for now until more expansions are released).

Puppet Wars I know absolutely nothing about.

Of the games I would weigh the differences and similarities.

Thinking along those lines Super Dungeon Explore seems to offer the most unique gameplay experience compared to what you already own . Followed by Leviathans as an air combat sim versus a ground level skirmish sim game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you are gravitating heavily toward miniature-based boardgames - did you perhaps think about getting into REAL miniatures gaming?

By doing this a whole new world opens up, waiting to be explored. There are a lot of different miniature gaming systems out there, from leading only a small elite squad to vast armies, from fantasy to scifi-settings, napoleonic era to modern warfare, from groundlevel combat to space battles.

Getting into this hobby is neither cheap nor time saving, since the miniatures are not cheap and have to be assembled and painted. But in the end it really pays off.

Just something you might want to consider.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perturabo wrote:
Since you are gravitating heavily toward miniature-based boardgames - did you perhaps think about getting into REAL miniatures gaming?


I've thought about WH/WH40K, Malifaux, Warmachine/Hordes, etc. and read up a bunch on them. I can't explain it completely, but the thought of pulling out a ruler during a game completely turns me off. I'd much rather have a defined board (like in Space Hulk) and play that way. This way, I get the beauty of miniatures but in a structured environment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:
Perturabo wrote:
Since you are gravitating heavily toward miniature-based boardgames - did you perhaps think about getting into REAL miniatures gaming?


I've thought about WH/WH40K, Malifaux, Warmachine/Hordes, etc. and read up a bunch on them. I can't explain it completely, but the thought of pulling out a ruler during a game completely turns me off. I'd much rather have a defined board (like in Space Hulk) and play that way. This way, I get the beauty of miniatures but in a structured environment.


Have you thought about games that are already out.

Incursion weird WWII--comes with cardboard minis, but you can buy metal
Claustrophobia pre-painted demons vs. renaissance men
Battletech Introductory Box Set giant mecha
Okko: Era of the Asagiri Samurai---comes with cardboard, but metal is available
Dust Tactics Another weird WWII with mecha
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
Incursion weird WWII--comes with cardboard minis, but you can buy metal
Claustrophobia pre-painted demons vs. renaissance men
Battletech Introductory Box Set giant mecha
Okko: Era of the Asagiri Samurai---comes with cardboard, but metal is available
Dust Tactics Another weird WWII with mecha


* Incursion's style hasn't fully appealed to me yet. That may change at some point.
* Claustrophobia's theme is a big turn-off.
* I can't get past the look of the minis in Battletech Introductory Box Set. Too simplistic for me.
* As with Claustrophobia, the theme of Okko: Era of the Asagiri has no appeal.
* I never read good things about the original Dust Tactics. Perhaps the revised ruleset will change that. I'll wait until a lot of reviews are up on that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniatures?

hard to go past Hordes of the Things.

Armies are smallish and quick to paint.
Game play is fun but deep.


- Pauli
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:
(...) I can't explain it completely, but the thought of pulling out a ruler during a game completely turns me off. I'd much rather have a defined board (like in Space Hulk) and play that way. This way, I get the beauty of miniatures but in a structured environment.


Did you actually try it and found out it does not suit you or is this just a theoretical thing?
Just asking, because it was somewhat similar for me. Initially I got into miniature gaming through Classic Battletech and couldn't imagine to take out a ruler in order to move units around on a "map" without some kind of grid. Moreover, moving miniatures this way seemed, well, kind of ridiculous and childisch to me. This mindset lasted as long as I didn't actually try it. Eventually I had my first game of 40k and, as it turned out, I felt quite comfortable with a bunch of dice in the one and a ruler in the other hand.

Besides:
this way you can enjoy beautifully sculpted miniatures acting in a beautifully miniature environment (well, ok, depends...), not on a flat board.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perturabo wrote:
Did you actually try it and found out it does not suit you or is this just a theoretical thing?


Yes, I've tried it a bit and just couldn't get into it. That's not to say that may change in the future. However, for now, I'm focusing on minis-based board games.

Back to the original question, anyone else have first-hand experience with either Leviathans, SDE, or Puppet Wars (or, even better, all 3)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaze Firestormer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I will for sure be picking up Super Dungeon Explore when it is released, so it gets my vote. Everything I have read about it makes it sound very enjoyable. It looks like a lot of fun and the miniatures looks a lot different than anything I own, which adds to the fun for me (painting).

I saw someone else mention Dust Tactics. I picked up Dust Tactics: Revised Core Set this weekend and couldn't stop playing it. It's a lot of fun, though not really a board game, more of a skirmish.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played any of these games either, but I hear pancakes are delicious. I vote you should try pancakes.

cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre-orders for Puppet Wars are out there.

1 game board, 18 minis, 2 decks. There are expansion figures and decks (for more players) for pre-order as well. When I start seeing some reviews, I'll look into it more. This game missed my radar completely.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at Maelstrom Games reminded me of Mantic's Space-Hulk-esque game series: Dwarven King's Hold. There's been two released so far: Dwarf King's Hold: Dead Rising and Dwarf King's Hold: Green Menace.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.