Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My opponent wants to move one character to a team mate's hex, each spend movement points, then he keeps moving. When it's the mate's turn, he has 2 fewer MPs.

This sounds inherently wrong to me, but I can't find anything in the rules.

Thanks for your insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Trading costs each character 2 MPs, but they don't have to end in the same hex. They can move to the same hex, trade, and then move away- so long as they have enough movement points remaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply. We're in the middle of this game. It's getting tense, and trading equipment hurts me.

Thanks, though, for clarifying. Well played on my opponent's part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, as long as their movement paths cross and then each spend 2MPs they can trade.

The fun part comes when you try to figure out what happens when somebody opfires AND KILLS either the giver or the receiver along the path BEFORE they reach the trading spot.

I believe if the giver dies, he "valiantly" crawls to his team-mate and makes the trade before dying. If the receiver dies, I believe the giver keeps the goods, even if the kill comes after the trading spot where you might argue the traded goods should drop. I'm less certain about that latter case, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
Yeah, as long as their movement paths cross and then each spend 2MPs they can trade.

The fun part comes when you try to figure out what happens when somebody opfires AND KILLS either the giver or the receiver along the path BEFORE they reach the trading spot.

I believe if the giver dies, he "valiantly" crawls to his team-mate and makes the trade before dying. If the receiver dies, I believe the giver keeps the goods, even if the kill comes after the trading spot where you might argue the traded goods should drop. I'm less certain about that latter case, though.

The trade still happens. The character dies in the space where the trade occurred.

I suggest downloading the Masters Addendum rules if you don't have them already. They are available in the files section of the Masters Addendum Geek page. They are well written in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jim.brooks10 wrote:

The trade still happens. The character dies in the space where the trade occurred.

I suggest downloading the Masters Addendum rules if you don't have them already. They are available in the files section of the Masters Addendum Geek page. They are well written in my opinion.

I do have the Addendum (and EVERYTHING else! ) and that's precisely what I stated in my post.

The less-clear scenario is when a character receives equipment in trade and then get killed with OpFire a couple spaces later. Did the trade take place and now his freshly received items land on the ground where he died? Or is there an inverted case where just like someone dies where they traded if they get shot first that the person giving the items can keep them if the intended recipient dies during his move later into the path?

I've wound up playing the latter as it's bad enough that you lost a character, maybe dumping the freshly transferred items goes too far. Especially considering the favorable rules about death before the trade occurs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
jim.brooks10 wrote:

I do have the Addendum (and EVERYTHING else! ) and that's precisely what I stated in my post.

The less-clear scenario is when a character receives equipment in trade and then get killed with OpFire a couple spaces later. Did the trade take place and now his freshly received items land on the ground where he died? Or is there an inverted case where just like someone dies where they traded if they get shot first that the person giving the items can keep them if the intended recipient dies during his move later into the path?

I've wound up playing the latter as it's bad enough that you lost a character, maybe dumping the freshly transferred items goes too far. Especially considering the favorable rules about death before the trade occurs.

You were saying that if the receiver dies, the giver keeps the goods. This is not the case. If the op fire happens in a space before the trade, the trade still happens. If the receiver dies, he drops the goods in the space of the trade. If the opfire happens in a space after the trade, the then trade still happens and the receiver drops the goods in the opfire space.

I was never a big fan of this run as it is a little wonky. Bottom-line is that the trade happens if one of the two trading partners gets killed in a space prior to the trade. The wonky part is that the body and goods "warp" to the trading space. An op-fire kill after the trading space works logically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McC
United States
Central Point
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested, there's a variant that does away with the movement-point cost of trading, and instead has trading taking place in the Free Action phase. It was approved by the game designer, who explained that it has no negative impact on game balance, since characters will still often "lose" movement points in order to meet up for a trade.

The old website is now defunct, but someone here on the geek had fortunately copied over the relevant rules
semi-official trading variant.

This is how I've played ever since. It seems a lot more intuitive to me and avoids the whole OpFire weirdness altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.