Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like it wants you to spawn 7 Wretches. There are rules for what to do when there aren't enough pieces, however, I'm not convinced that's what they intended to have happen in this case.

Should Location 16A:3p be AB instead of AA?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Rose
msg tools
Spawn a boomer if any are available.
The rules tell you that if you cannot spawn a locust you spawn the most powerful available model. If no boomers are available spawn a drone. If no drones are available spawn nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine this is the intent for setup in the Starting scenario, but, I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Rose
msg tools
It's not so bad. Boomers have as many wounds per model as drones, they just roll 1 extra defense dice and have a stronger attack. They can be taken out with a lancer or hammerburst without too much trouble. I've played the starting scenario 5 times through so far now, 4 solo and once as 2 CoGs. I only died once, and that was with my first run as cole train.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It has nothing to do with difficulty, it has to do with rules and setup cleanliness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Rose
msg tools
There's no rules or cleanliness issues - the rules specifically dictate what to do when told to spawn a Locust that you do not have a model for.
Rulebook page 25 wrote:
Figures: If the player is instructed to spawn a Locust figure, but all of that figure type is already on the map, a different Locust figure is spawned instead. The active player must instead spawn the most powerful figure type available (i.e. spawn a "C" figure if able, otherwise "B" followed by "A"). If all "A," "B," and "C" figures are in play then no locust figure is spawned.

Rulebook page 5 wrote:
7. Set Up First Level of the Map: Players set up the first level of the map by performing the following steps in order:
i. Draw one card from the level 1 Location deck.
ii. Find the map tile matching this card and place it on the table. If other map tiles are in play place it so that it's entrance matches the map exit.
iii. Spawn Locust figures as listed at the bottom of the Location card at each emergence hole on the map tile based on the number of players.

Emphasis mine. The rules are very clear and tightly written regarding this issue, not at all 'unclean' as you infer above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be worth noting that the four tiles used for Emergence are also used in other missions. Specifically, 2A is used in Roadblocks level 2, 9A is used in Roadblocks level 1, 12A is used in Horde Mode Casual difficulty, and 16A is used in Roadblocks level 3. Sure, changing the cards for the first mission would avoid the problem of spawning too many of a certain locust, but it would also change another mission, especially if they end up releasing more expansions that use the existing location cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it just seems silly to have the beginner scenario result in a rules exception for only one particular player count, but I guess this is fantasy flight we are talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethala wrote:
... and 16A is used in Roadblocks level 3.

And there it would also cause an overflow of units as AA, whereas if it were AB, it would not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Rose
msg tools
LemonyFresh wrote:
Sethala wrote:
... and 16A is used in Roadblocks level 3.

And there it would also cause an overflow of units as AA, whereas if it were AB, it would not.

That depends on when you draw the tile. If you draw 16A first, then you will easily have two wretches to place. If you draw it last, well then there's another game balance helpful fact - the Boomer (or whatever C is) will be as far away from the Cogs as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.