Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Power
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
24.2 SL: "Only Assault Engineer Squads may Place Smoke counters...."
This is referring to the Germans as an introduction to the 3rd scenario, "The Dzerhezinsky Tractor Works."

141.7 GIA: "U.S. Squads have limited but comparatively large, inherent smoke-making capability....The new squad counters provided in G.I. (or amended as per 141.75) identify those types which have a limited inherent smoke making capability by the presence of an exponent following the FP factor...."

141.75 GIA: "All British, Free French, and Commonwealth Elite or 1st Line squads have an inherent smoke-making capability number of 2. Russians, French, and minor country squads have no inherent smoke-making capability unless so specified by SSR."

Q&A #140: Can an engineer place unlimited smoke in any scenario unless restricted by a SSR or OB?
A. Yes, one per turn [Exception: until the Smoke Grenades Rules (141.7 GIA] rules are in effect. {Multi Man Publishing}

There are several German Infantry counters introduced in GIA which have a smoke making capability exponent as stated in 141.7, e.g. 6-5-8, 5-4-8, 4-6-8, & 4-6-7. This is the only evidence I can find of German infantry with the capability of placing smoke.

Now for the money questions.
1. Are German infantry other than Assault Engineers allowed the capability of using smoke?

2, If the answer is no, then would 141.75 be clearer and correct by inserting "German Assault Engineers" in the first sentence and "Germans other than Assault Engineers," in the second sentence?

3. If the answer is yes, then where is it written?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the answer is YES.

141.72 Last sentence. The only limitation of those counters with the exponent is that they can't use WP unless stated in the SSR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Power
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuck,

And this is what happens when you have a hard copy 1st edition of GIA. Down loaded 2nd edition which you obviously have because it matches your answer.

All is right in the world again. German Infantry are using smoke. Yee-ha.

Michael Power
Virginia Beach, VA
USA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Komodo wrote:
I would say the answer is YES.

141.72 Last sentence. The only limitation of those counters with the exponent is that they can't use WP unless stated in the SSR.

I agree.
However, I would be inclined to say,
"A qualified 'yes' ".
You may want to be true to the designs of a particular scenario, and consider the play balance consequences that imposing later rule changes have on earlier scenarios. It may unbalance scenario 3 to allow other than german engineers to place smoke.
Michael, are you, in your consolidation efforts, keeping track of when a rule is changed? Players who use your reference, may need to keep this in mind when playing earlier scenarios, and should agree on what changes they want to incorporate.

Ted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Power
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tank,

In response to your question I would say, "Sort of."

This consolidation is not presented in the step format that was so helpful for those of use learning the game. Rather, it is for those who have been through it all but are weary of the time consuming searches for a particular rule reading. My intent is to bypass this drudgery and consolidate all rules pertaining to a particular topic under one heading.

However, where a rule as been changed I have maintained a reference between the original reading and the latter ones in two forms. The first is enclosing the the altered (original) rule in a box or table of a smaller font (7) immediately preceding the altering rule (font 8). It is listed with its original rule number followed by the amending rule number. Next line down within this box is the original rule in its entirety. For example the following paragraph is contained within a table (box) followed by the altering rule:

-47.8: Replaced by -149.5 by statement. See 8.353.
If fire is directed against passengers in the halftrack from an adjacent hex of higher elevation, the halftrack fails to protect the riding infantry as outline in -47.6 and -47.7.

8.353 Elevation Effects On TEM⎯
If the height advantage of a non-aerial firer over a wall/hedge hexside or Open-Topped AFV is one level or more > the distance in hexes to the target, reduce the TEM of that target by 1 for each height level advantage > 1 (to a minimum of 0).
Note that even if not CE, the crew of an Open-Topped vehicle so exposed to a nearby higher level firer would be entitled to the +2 TEM (prior to modification) of a CE unit (RE: -47.8). -149.5

All rule numbers preceded by a "-" is the rule number from the Squad Leader System. It makes them distinctive from the new numbering system I've applied.

8.353 is the case number for GIA 149.5. That is:

8. INFANTRY FIRE COMBAT
8.1 Principles
8.2 Fire Type Modifiers
8.3 Terrain Effect Modifiers
8.35 Infantry Height Advantage
8.351 Lower to Higher Elevation Disadvantage
8.352 Fire Group Elements With & Without Height Disadvantage
8.353 Elevation Effects on TEM
Etc.

The second method is to print the original portion of a rule that is being altered in a light text and struck through. Along with this are footnotes at the bottom of the page citing the altering authority.

Since each listing ends with the original rule number, I suppose one may be able to pick out the relevant cases and scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.