New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - I agree that it's annoying and mostly unnecessary. Email me with the transaction ID numbers of any such sales and I'll take care of them for you.

The Marketplace is operating on some pretty old code and it's got a lot of "quirks" that wouldn't be there if we were to do it all over again. Fortunately, rumor has it that recoding the entire BGG Marketplace is next on the schedule after the UI overhaul

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Octavian has already posted the relevant details, I'll just mention that I had a similar issue recently, and he looked after it within minutes of me Geekmailing him. So, while the automated system has issues, the work-around is effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
England
Sawbridgeworth
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not always BGG newbies who don't confirm seller's cancellations ('though it often is), nor is it always because of shipping charges. I currently have two orders in the "Seller cancelled" category. In both cases the shipping cost was posted along with the game description details and both would be buyers have been on BGG for over three years and both log on to BGG every few days, yet neither have reacted to the seller cancellation procedure.
Octavian has sorted out several of this sort of problem for me in the past and I feel mildly guilty of asking him to sort out my rather trivial problems.
It often seems that I have one or more of these situations when BGG asks for its 3% payment and I have several times delayed making this payment until I have sorted out outstanding problems.
This raises a couple of questions:
1). If buyer confirms cancellation after 3% payment is made, is this automatically returned to seller?
2). Would it not be better for BGG to request the 3% payment for confirmed orders that were more than, say three weeks old? Thus giving more time for such problems to be sorted out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelJT wrote:

1). If buyer confirms cancellation after 3% payment is made, is this automatically returned to seller?

No, but it is credited and will be deducted from future commissions.

If it's substantial enough that you'd want it paid back we could certainly arrange that.

Quote:

2). Would it not be better for BGG to request the 3% payment for confirmed orders that were more than, say three weeks old? Thus giving more time for such problems to be sorted out.

Though we send out reminders roughly every month, you won't see any warnings about late commission payments unless it has been several months since your last payment. And even then, you'd only need to mention that you are waiting on pending cancellations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Agree with this post. Buyer should cancel and seller confirm. I've only had one case of this but it would be a good move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I had problems as a buyer as well. Some sellers don't update their stuff and keep the game up for sale even after they no longer have it available. I had a seller send me an older and cheaper version what was not what they had sold me.

I only have a small number of purchases from the marketplace and I have rarely been happy with it. I wish the system would run more smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
I had problems as a buyer as well. Some sellers don't update their stuff and keep the game up for sale even after they no longer have it available. I had a seller send me an older and cheaper version what was not what they had sold me.

I only have a small number of purchases from the marketplace and I have rarely been happy with it. I wish the system would run more smoothly.

This - the system could also really use a "contact seller about this item" feature, like eBay has. Except for direct geekmailing, there's no way to do that and then you have to copy all the applicable information, and they likely have to go to their items for sale to confirm anything you're asking about. On an item I purchased just this week, I wanted to confirm with the seller that they still had it (i ended up just buying it anyway, and figured they'd let me know if they didn't), then with the sale confirmation they left *me* a question (that I didn't even get through geekmail - why is that again? Why does the confirmation go to my email, but not my geekmail?) and I had to copy from my email account to paste in a geekmail to answer them. There are about 5 things there that I shouldn't have had to do the way I did it. System needs an overhaul it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.