Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the game once, but it definitely seems like the game is heavily balanced in the heroes' favor as I've seen reported numorous times. Would an easy fix be to just remove the healer room?

It seems like that is a simple fix that wouldn't require a lot of new rules. I had accumulated enough money to fully heal all of my heroes by the time I reached the healer room. It just seemed like it invalidated all of the other rooms we played, and all that mattered were the last two rooms.

Has anyone tried it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried that, but I will say killing a hero before the healer makes a big difference in the game. If they are all alive they tend to come to the dungeon lord in pretty good shape, otherwise things tend to fall apart very quickly.

Also another thing you might try considering: switching the healer with the weapons dealer. This will leave them without weapons in the middle rooms, and they won't be able to heal after the first couple of rooms. I feel like those two things will dramatically change the tension of the middle game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
My players have had a tough enough time winning as it is normally but if you need a bigger challenge I would either add more rooms to the crawl or upgrade one or two rooms with a level higher one. Maybe the last level 1 room change to a level 2? You could also try upgrading the first level 0 room to a level 1. There are a lot different tweaks you can do to this game to increase/decrease the difficulty level so it just depend on what works best for your group.

Edit: I should have commented on your initial question as well. My concern with removing the healer room is that it makes earning money for monsters useless after the first two rooms, which lessens the role of the thief later and doesn't break up the grind of dungeon crawling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
Adding even an extra "1" room before the last two rooms (right after the healer) I think would make things much tougher for the heroes...

I may have to do this as the heroes have been wining far too often as of late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another problem is that it removes the possibility of resurrecting a dead hero, which means the Catacomb Lord is going to feel like a jerk if he concentrates all fire on one character and knocks him out when there's still, say, 3 rooms to go.

My next attempt to balance the game will be using the Dark Passageways expansion; I'll use some method for weighting the cards so the Catacomb Lord gets more favorable ones than the Heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
We have used the labyrinth variant since game 1, using a 4x4 labyrinth and a House Rule that says you can only re-visit the Healer or Merchant if you are forced to back-track.

It seems to be very well-balanced because you can tuck the Healer out in the corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaving out the healing room means gold after the first two rooms is pointless, which would be pretty boring (and make the thief really suck).

One simple tweak is to just change the rooms a bit. We last played with the last level 1 room instead being a level 2 room - helped the catacomb player out a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Mosley
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After about 10 plays, I've noticed the difficulty changes considerably depending on who is playing the overseer as well as which dungeon lord is being used.
So far, in our games, the sorcerer and gorgon are undefeated; the lich is 1 and 1 while the dragon has yet to win.
Most victories/defeats have been very decisive with the exception of our last game where we had the gorgon on the ropes. She played the last few turns perfectly though and ended up winning with one wound remaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bogdasarian
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
One simple tweak is to just change the rooms a bit. We last played with the last level 1 room instead being a level 2 room - helped the catacomb player out a bit.

We use this variant too and it's worked rather well for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.