Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to need to really pin down what I'm looking for here, because I suspect that my title isn't going to really work for a lot of people.

I usually play more in depth games with a guy who is familiar with Magic, and we've been playing Summoner Wars. While I like that game - quite a lot, in fact - I'm looking for something that plays less like a minis game and more like the vast majority of CCGs/TCGs/LCGs I've encountered:
* Lots of player interaction
* Reasonably short play time (an hour or less)
* Theme not overly important so much as well balanced
* Variety of cards that alter the basic rules via the card text

I've recently gotten Innovation as it seems to meet much of what I'm looking for, with the added bonus of being self-contained; I'm not going to need to go out and buy a bunch of expansions/boosters/etc. Oh, and having the game be in print (or at least not a nightmare to chase down) is also a big plus.

I'm sure I'm forgetting bits and bobs of what I'm looking for so I'll clarify if need be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner? Or are you looking for a non-CCG? That one is safely dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:

I don't want to necessarily rule out CCGs in toto, but I would prefer to just have to buy a game that's self contained vice needing to get a couple of different decks/boosters to keep things changed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Dubya wrote:
manchuwok wrote:

I don't want to necessarily rule out CCGs in toto, but I would prefer to just have to buy a game that's self contained vice needing to get a couple of different decks/boosters to keep things changed up.

Well, that is supposed to be the great thing about Netrunner. You only need a starter set to enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both Warhammer Invasion and Call of Cthulu and enjoy them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey OP, I played a lot of CCGs growing up and I've been searching for fun-to-play card games that aren't a total money-sink.

- My wife and I play and own a lot of Warhammer: Invasion. One thing that sets it apart is that most cards can be used in your Battlefield (attack), your Kingdom (resources), or your Quest zone (drawing cards). As such, you never deal with "mana screw" and there are always interesting decisions to make each turn. Plus, with 6 races (and several more neutral races) there are a lot of options to explore.

- I've recently gotten into Battletech CCG. The thing I like most about it is that out of all the CCGs I've played, Battletech doesn't really care if you have a crappy deck. There are so many tactical options that it is way more important to be skilled at the game instead of just having a deck full of expensive cards

- Gosu is quite good. It has a lot of card combos and some cool mechanics. You place cards in front of you and you don't spend much time killing your opponent or destroying their cards. Rather, you're trying to maximize your own combos. You said you liked Innovation. You should investigate Gosu, Race for the Galaxy, and Glory to Rome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might check out Glory to Rome, which is by the same designer as Innovation. It might not have quite enough interaction for you. The primary ways to affect the other player are to alter the cards in a central play area called the pool and to try to take cards from his/her hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
I second the Netrunner idea. As Mark stated, a starter set is pretty much a self-contained complete game. Many never buy more than that.

Otherwise, Blue Moon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo is a good 2 player game that has a "combo-ish" CCG type feeling to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yomi is the game you are looking for. It might seem to be just about Rock Paper Scissors, but the further you go, the more you can read players. It fits all of your criteria and you can even play the excellent online game here: http://www.fantasystrike.com/dev/

There are 10 characters, but buying all the decks at once will save you money plus you get cool player mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:
Hey OP, I played a lot of CCGs growing up and I've been searching for fun-to-play card games that aren't a total money-sink.

- My wife and I play and own a lot of Warhammer: Invasion. One thing that sets it apart is that most cards can be used in your Battlefield (attack), your Kingdom (resources), or your Quest zone (drawing cards). As such, you never deal with "mana screw" and there are always interesting decisions to make each turn. Plus, with 6 races (and several more neutral races) there are a lot of options to explore.

- I've recently gotten into Battletech CCG. The thing I like most about it is that out of all the CCGs I've played, Battletech doesn't really care if you have a crappy deck. There are so many tactical options that it is way more important to be skilled at the game instead of just having a deck full of expensive cards

- Gosu is quite good. It has a lot of card combos and some cool mechanics. You place cards in front of you and you don't spend much time killing your opponent or destroying their cards. Rather, you're trying to maximize your own combos. You said you liked Innovation. You should investigate Gosu, Race for the Galaxy, and Glory to Rome.

I haven't played Battletech, but I second the recommendations for Warhammer: Invasion and GOSU.

Warhammer: Invasion plays similar to Magic, but it is lighter and the resource system is really neat (no mana screw here). Being a LCG (Living Card Game), there are a lot of expansions, but the packs are not random, so you know in advance what you get. So even if you decide to expand it a bit, it won't be as much of a money-sink as a CCG.

Gosu is more about finding the right combos and less about direct player interaction. You can also play it with 3 or 4 people, though the increased downtime makes that a bit tedious.

Something a little different would be Dominion. It's really light compared to CCGs and plays quite differently, but for me, it scratches the same itch. The theme isn't strong, and direct player interaction is rather low, but it is short and very replayable. Non-gamers also tend to really like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd guess one of the confrontational LCGs from FFG should fit the bill (Warhammer: Invasion, Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game, A Game of Thrones: The Card Game).

Other than that I'll also recommend GOSU.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.