Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Croxton
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are avid Dominion players in my family, so I decided 2 years ago to invest in some card sleeves. I don't usually buy sleeves, but these cards get shuffled so much (and the game played so often) that I knew they wouldn't last without them.

Since it was clear even back then that Dominion was going to have at least 2000 sleeves, and I didn't want to spend a fortune, I went with Ultra-Pro penny sleeves. Unfortunately, they are super flimsy and become hard to use pretty quickly.

I could have sworn that the site I bought from (which was not Ultra-Pro itself) had sleeves in all kinds of thicknesses. If I could find it, I would go back and buy some that are thicker. Unfortunately, I can't find any site, anywhere, that actually lists the thicknesses of its sleeves. They basically seem to come in cheap, normal, and extra-thick.

So, two questions: (1) Does anyone know of a site that has card sleeves in varying thicknesses?, and (2) What do people recommend for Dominion sleeves that aren't too expensive? At only $5 per 100 sleeves, I'd be looking at $100 for enough just for what Dominion has now -- which I might pay to save the cards, but I sure would prefer not to.

Sincerely,
Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith W
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday Games sleeves come in both standard and premium varieties, though you pay a bit extra for the thicker ones. They can be a bit difficult to find in stock as the size needed is the most popular, but keep an eye on the site for specials during convention season.

Fantasy Flight Games is another front runner. I haven't personally used their sleeves as they don't fit quite as well as the Mayday ones in my experience, but they are easier to find and about the same price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Just bought a couple of packages of the FFG "yellow" and "gray" and as usual, the quality control is absolutely shitty.

The yellows are about 1.5mm longer than my others, and the grays are about 2-3mm longer. I wrote FFG and they said to return the sleeves to the retailer and get new one's. I order sleeves both online and local and this has happened multiple times that I have had issues with their sleeves.

Frankly, I am done with FFG sleeves! What I am contemplating is taking off all of the sleeves (since they are all FFG this probably equals about 30-40 packs...easily), and redo them with Mayday, or some other brand.

With the PREMIUM PRICE FFG charges for their sleeves, you would think that they would have better quality control.

As a side note, I took pictures of this very issue a month or so ago, and you can see the pictures in my gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
RoC1909 wrote:
Just bought a couple of packages of the FFG "yellow" and "gray" and as usual, the quality control is absolutely shitty.

I use FFG sleeves (because my FLGS has them permanently in stock) and I never had any issues with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JK just an FYI.. Fantasy Flight's game sleeves are bigger than everyone else because they use different sized cards than everyone else. Replacing them will not resolve the issue sadly. If you want decent sleeves for a good price, get the Mayday Premium sleeves. They actually fit your cards. If you are buying sleeves for a FFG game, then by all means get FFG sleeves, because then they will actually fit.

Of course, for the FFG games out there with weird card sizes, mayday has sleeves for most of them. Considering that, I'm more inclined to purchase those than the others

Cheers!

Jacovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Tackett
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
RoC1909 wrote:
The yellows are about 1.5mm longer than my others, and the grays are about 2-3mm longer.

I'd much rather have sleeves that are too long than sleeves that are too short. At least those, I can trim down with a paper cutter or something.

The one batch of Mayday premiums I bought were too short for a couple of the games I wanted to sleeve, and the cards were basically sticking out of the top of the sleeve. I re-sleeved those cards with FFG grey sleeves, and there's probably 3-4mm slack at the top. That might be a little excessive, but I can always trim those if it becomes a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin,

Mayday Games would be happy to send some replacement sleeves out to you if you got a bad batch, please email me at seth@maydaygames.com and let me know and we will get them right out.

Seth
Mayday Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Tackett
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
maydaygames wrote:
Justin,

Mayday Games would be happy to send some replacement sleeves out to you if you got a bad batch, please email me at seth@maydaygames.com and let me know and we will get them right out.

Seth
Mayday Games

Thanks for the offer, but I already got a refund from the store I bought them at (CoolStuffInc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcroxton wrote:
We are avid Dominion players in my family, so I decided 2 years ago to invest in some card sleeves. I don't usually buy sleeves, but these cards get shuffled so much (and the game played so often) that I knew they wouldn't last without them.

Since it was clear even back then that Dominion was going to have at least 2000 sleeves, and I didn't want to spend a fortune, I went with Ultra-Pro penny sleeves. Unfortunately, they are super flimsy and become hard to use pretty quickly.

I could have sworn that the site I bought from (which was not Ultra-Pro itself) had sleeves in all kinds of thicknesses. If I could find it, I would go back and buy some that are thicker. Unfortunately, I can't find any site, anywhere, that actually lists the thicknesses of its sleeves. They basically seem to come in cheap, normal, and extra-thick.

So, two questions: (1) Does anyone know of a site that has card sleeves in varying thicknesses?, and (2) What do people recommend for Dominion sleeves that aren't too expensive? At only $5 per 100 sleeves, I'd be looking at $100 for enough just for what Dominion has now -- which I might pay to save the cards, but I sure would prefer not to.

Sincerely,
Derek

This is my experience with card sleeves.

Hope it helps you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.