Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
(Except hanky panky and posting)

I've been playing Frantic Frigates all week, and only beat the boss once barely, nowhere near the 30,000 points needed for the Hard badge. Just now, I played while finishing up a beer with 7.6% alcohol, and I give up and commit suicide after reaching 50,000 with 4+ lives left. I was freakin' Neo out there.

Back in the day, it was the same way with bowling and 9-ball; suck sober, but awesome after a drink or two. It makes me wonder whether I have other latent talents I should explore with brew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Operating heavy machinery?

I was poor sober at pool, good with a couple under the belt, but a couple more and I could beat the statistical odds by knocking the white ball around and not even getting one in by sheer bloody accident.

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
You start to rely on muscle memory because your conscious brain stops paying attention. At least that's what goes on in pool. Of course, good players know how to engage their muscle memory and their conscious brain. I'm not one of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you learned to do something while drinking then you will be better at it drinking than sober. A lot of people are better at bar games while drinking for that reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
If you learned to do something while drinking then you will be better at it drinking than sober. A lot of people are better at bar games while drinking for that reason.

Like operating heavy machinery?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Octavian wrote:

In my case, all of those things were learned and primarily played sober.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it called state dependent learning? I always was a better dancer after two or three beers. Probably because I wouldn't dance until I had had 2 or 3 beers. Thus if you drink beer every time you play pool you learn to play while in that state. If you had a pool table at home and only played when you were sober, you'd get worse as you drank.

Edit: DAMN you, Octavian, always flaunting your knowledge around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
Octavian wrote:

The you are a freak of nature. Please report the the closest neurology lab for immediate dissection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Dave wrote:
Octavian wrote:

The you are a freak of nature. Please report the the closest neurology lab for immediate dissection.

Yeah - no-one plays 9-Ball and Frantic Frigates sober!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is entirely too much time and effort going into this thread. Pour another cold one - NOW. It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
Why do I do things better with beer?

Tautology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Perhaps you just need to relax a little in order to do well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Amy has the other piece. If you get nervous / tight then it is tough to develop the smooth flow some games require. I learned darts sober, but definitely was better after a beer, particularly with an audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also better at pool when I've had a beer or two. I'm never great, but sober I can't sink anything. With a little bit of a buzz I'm OK though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Perhaps you just need to relax a little in order to do well?

PghArch wrote:
I think Amy has the other piece. If you get nervous / tight then it is tough to develop the smooth flow some games require. I learned darts sober, but definitely was better after a beer, particularly with an audience.

Brilliant point. Alcohol cancels out the performance anxiety from the audience.

You'd likely perform better still if you could be relaxed and sober, but that would require much more practice.

Cancel the dissection appointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a time in my life that I played a lot of snooker, and this phenomenon is very real. I could have drawn a bell curve of performance vs. beers, with performance peaking at about three drinks. After a few beers I was so good I was competitive with Scotsmen. Personally I think it has to do with confidence. The little voice that makes you question yourself shuts up, and sinking the ball begins to have a sense of inevitability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ballmer Peak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.