Subject: ARNHEM rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we did the anual commorative walk at Oosterbeek for the first time and it made me wonder if there are any games on that battle that are both educational and fun.

I find games at times can be the perfect tool to teach kids about history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
............ if there are any games on that battle that are both educational and fun.

Arnhem is a great, fairly simple overview of the strategic situation during Market Garden. It's also very entertaining as a game - very tense with lots to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An even simpler option is Target Arnhem: Across 6 Bridges. Equally fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found a Geeklist about Arnhem:
Favorite Market-Garden/Arnhem Battle game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Yesterday we did the anual commorative walk at Oosterbeek for the first time and it made me wonder if there are any games on that battle that are both educational and fun.

I find games at times can be the perfect tool to teach kids about history.

I visited Arnhem for the first time last year; I guess I should not have been surprised that the entire area around the bridge has been redeveloped given the devastation wrought during the battle - or that the famous John Frost bridge itself is a replica of the bridge that was standing during the war!

AH/MMP and Critical Hit both have "Historical ASL" modules that deal with the fighting at the north bridge ramp, though my understanding is that the campaign (for the Avalon Hill version at least) is not that good. It is out of print in any event, and hard to get due to the popularity of the "black SS" counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
An inexpensive and readily available option would be Arnhem: The Farthest Bridge which is the re-implementation of the OOP Arnhem game suggested by Alan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mutton javelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone have any luck with

Flames of War Firestorm Campaign: Operation Market Garden

I kept missing the demos at my FLGS

I stayed away from FoW based on the expense, but this looked promising as a stand alone game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
AH/MMP and Critical Hit both have "Historical ASL" modules that deal with the fighting at the north bridge ramp, though my understanding is that the campaign (for the Avalon Hill version at least) is not that good. It is out of print in any event, and hard to get due to the popularity of the "black SS" counters.

Maybe Europeans are more sensitive concerning this, but personally I find the popularity of anything SS quite worrying.shake

I read another thread in wich the poster told about having to play an Arnhem game against an opponent dressed in SS uniform.
Very tasteles I think.yuk

Over here someone would not get away with something like that.
As you will have realised when visiting the area, sentiments concerning WW2 are very much alive.

I remember some years ago when a re-enactment society decided the WW2 group needed an opponent and wanted to create a group portraying a german panzer grenadier unit.
Without any swasticas or any other offensive distinctives.
That encountered a lot of opposition, obviously people were not keen on having troops in WW2 german uniform march through the streets yet again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Arnhem: Defiant Stand & Oosterbeek Perimeter. And of course, if you can find it, The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I get the impression each and everyone are good games.

Just checked out the last one mentioned and wow, that is one masssive map. [seems like a MUST HAVE]

Finding any of them will be the real challenge.soblue
In my regular shops on internet all I can find is 'a bridge too far', the one with the miniatures.

I like miniatures, so I'm carefull to not get 'drawn into' a game because of them, so I put it on my to buy list, but mainly cause it is the only one I can buy right now.

I'm not sure if this game will provide me with a real historical feel.
I've allready seen someone mention it is not really for the historically inclined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freddy,

KeepIt Never Snowson your radar as well. Sounds very promissing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harae wrote:
Freddy,

KeepIt Never Snowson your radar as well. Sounds very promissing.

Looks promising indeed.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:

............ sentiments concerning WW2 are very much alive................

In 1991 0r 92 I took my Grandmother and her sister to Arnhem to visit the battlefield and, more specifically, the military cemetry there. Their youngest brother had been killed there during the war and there were many family stories about him when I was growing up. The whole trip was obviously very moving for the old ladies and me too. We found his grave which they had never seen and visited all the major sites of interest. I particularly remember the touching respect with which they were treated by all the Arnhem and Oosterbeck inhabitants we met. Something I'm very glad I did while there was still time.

As well, I've noticed that 14 BGG users have Arnhem listed for trade and there are 2 copies for sale here on BGG. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take long to find a copy on e bay either, particularly in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.