Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Murphy
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game for some time now but I'm still curious about one thing: What's the difference between melee and ranged weapons?

I have not seen a single card which differentiates between one or the other. However, I've noticed - at least for the Shi (Vatarmas vs i.e. Assault Carbine) - that ranged weapons generally are worse than melee weapons. Is there supposed to be some advantage for ranged ones to equalize that fact?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, good question. In the old Star wars game, Melee weapons could be more powerful than ranged (lightwsabers), or not even allow an attack at all. many (Vibro ax I believe) simply added to the characters strength value. Interesting, I will dig out my cards when I get home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Murphy
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that's why I love BGG: there's always somebody to answer, even for long dead games. Thanks for the hint! Perhaps I'll check the Star Wars rules or ask over in the SW forums. I've suspected there to be something keeping units from using melee weapons, but there's nothing official to be found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theasaris wrote:
Ah, that's why I love BGG: there's always somebody to answer, even for long dead games. :) Thanks for the hint! Perhaps I'll check the Star Wars rules or ask over in the SW forums. I've suspected there to be something keeping units from using melee weapons, but there's nothing official to be found.

I have my cards poked away at the moment, will dig them out if I remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles the Dragon
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having recently read through the rules, I didn't find any specific mention of the weapon types other than a ship weapon vs. a character weapon.

I did have the same thought when I pulled my first Gongen sword weapon from a booster and saw it said Melee in the type bar. My guess is that it only comes into play when a supplementary card refers to it. Much like "Kizen" or "Stockpile", etc. I could envision a card like a special handheld shield that prevents being damaged by a melee weapon, or even a personal energy shield that prevents ranged damage but not melee. I don't know if such cards exist, though. I haven't studied all of my recently pulled cards yet.

In short: I believe that melee/ranged weapons at their core are effectively the same unless a supplementary card or effect call out the type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.