Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'd like to buy a rondel game and I'm undecided between:

- Imperial (maybe + expansion kit for Imperial 2030)
- Navegador

I like the economic and global theme of Imperial / Imperial 2030, but Navegador is said to be the best game in the series and looks like a much more streamlined game (also, its reduced length is a plus in my opinion).

What do you think, which one is more epic and more fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
depends on what you and your group like.

i like both (but not 2030), that said Nav is pretty much an economic game that is low on interaction and deal making, while imperial, an economic game at heart, is very much a conflict game.

so for most euro gamers i'd say Navegador.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them both, but I prefer Imperial by a large margin. In fact, Imperial is one of my favorite games. It is unique in its economic game disguised as a war game theme. Navegador is more like your standard euro-game fare but with a rondel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Airlines Europe you may prefer Imperial (both have a stock/shares element). However, Imperial is considerably longer and deeper, with more conflict. Navegador is more similar to Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Loehn
Germany
Kleinostheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me Imperial is some exception in the rondel series. It is a brutal and unforgiving game while the others play much more smoothly.

When you play Imperial you should be prepared to have some "personal downtime". It is possible to lose your last country and you are not doing any moves but only wait for buying bonds. That is part of the game and it is very often a winning strategy to stay in that situation for quite some time or even the whole game. A lot of players do not like that kind of gameplay. A single bad decision (mostly bad investment) can put away any chance of winning. Imperial creates much more AP downtime at all.

From the rest of the series I like Navegador the most. They have more or less some equal game flow. You are making a lot of simple and fast moves and canĀ“t wait for your next turn which will come fast but still has some deeper strategie.

I think most people value Navegador higher because it is easier to play. For me Imperial is an absolute bomb, brilliant in design and game flow, but it is not for everyone.

I hope that helps with your decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Wittenstein
Germany
Hagen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like to have a rondel game, why not consider Hamburgum, maybe the most underrated rondel game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave

Tallahassee
msg tools
After 5 games Navegador has become routine, partly because my group isn't smartening up and is easy to beat. Play Imperial online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your advices. I found a nice bundle of Imperial + Imperial 2030 expansion kit and ordered it. Now I'm undecided: which one should hit the table first, original or 2030? Which one is more "user-friendly"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Loehn
Germany
Kleinostheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is not really a difference in userfriendlyness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.