Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
patrick murphy
United States
Franklin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. This is my first in depth board game like this and i feel like im playing it with only partial knowledge of the rules. I don't like playing the game second guessing if im doing it correctly. With that said, if theres anyone out there that can shine some light on the questions i have, please help clarify these rules for me.

1. When you grab a mythos card, it tells you to put a gate at the location. so you put the gate down, then a monster on that location. Now when your doing the monster movement phase on the same mythos card do you move that monster as well or is it considered i guess immune to this part since he just emerged?

2. If there is a monster on a gate location that you want to enter, do you have to fight it or evade it before you are able to enter the location or do you get sucked through the gate automatically? If you do get sucked through automatically do you have to fight the monster when you come back out of the explored gate, or do you close the gate then battle the monster?

3. If there is a Monster surge, instead of placing a gate where there is a gate already, do you add a token to the aliens doom track along with the appropriate amount of monsters on the board?

4. If there are monsters located in the outskirts and you bring the total number of monsters on the board below the max (2 players would be 5), would one of the monsters from the outskirts then come into play through a gate or do they stay int the outskirts adding to the total out there permanently?

5. If you have a flying monster just emerging from an open gate, does he automatically go to the street square, does he wait for his symbol to come up on a mythos card, or does he wait til the next turn to enter the streets? Also, if in the sky, do flying monsters swoop down to attack any player that would enter the street automatically or does it have to wait if a player was to stop in the street area? And yet another flying question, if you have 3 monsters in the sky would all 3 swoop down on said player and when would they attack?

6. How many Allie, common item, skill, spell, and unique cards are each character allowed to have at once? can i have like 5 different weapons in my inventory, but only use up to 2 hands worth of cards in battle? can i use a physical weapon and a magical weapon for the same battle roll? Also what is the money symbol on the bottom right of some of the cards? do you have to pay to use them? can you sell them back to the pile of cards?

7. Also i feel like we barley got to pick up any common cards, unique, or spell cards. Are we supposed to be drawing them at the beginning of our upkeep?

8. Is there a limit to the amount of monsters aloud on one street square (if still below the monster limit)?

Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmurphy0618 wrote:
Hello. This is my first in depth board game like this and i feel like im playing it with only partial knowledge of the rules. I don't like playing the game second guessing if im doing it correctly. With that said, if theres anyone out there that can shine some light on the questions i have, please help clarify these rules for me.

1. When you grab a mythos card, it tells you to put a gate at the location. so you put the gate down, then a monster on that location. Now when your doing the monster movement phase on the same mythos card do you move that monster as well or is it considered i guess immune to this part since he just emerged?

The monster just placed is moved if its symbol in on the card

Quote:
2. If there is a monster on a gate location that you want to enter, do you have to fight it or evade it before you are able to enter the location or do you get sucked through the gate automatically? If you do get sucked through automatically do you have to fight the monster when you come back out of the explored gate, or do you close the gate then battle the monster?

You must battle or evade the monster in the movement phase, before moving through the gate in the Arkham Encounter Phase

Quote:
3. If there is a Monster surge, instead of placing a gate where there is a gate already, do you add a token to the aliens doom track along with the appropriate amount of monsters on the board?

No doom token is added.

Quote:
4. If there are monsters located in the outskirts and you bring the total number of monsters on the board below the max (2 players would be 5), would one of the monsters from the outskirts then come into play through a gate or do they stay int the outskirts adding to the total out there permanently?

No monster is moved from the outskirts, they stay there until the outskirts limit is reached, when they are removed and the terror level increased.

Quote:
5. If you have a flying monster just emerging from an open gate, does he automatically go to the street square, does he wait for his symbol to come up on a mythos card, or does he wait til the next turn to enter the streets? Also, if in the sky, do flying monsters swoop down to attack any player that would enter the street automatically or does it have to wait if a player was to stop in the street area? And yet another flying question, if you have 3 monsters in the sky would all 3 swoop down on said player and when would they attack?

They only move when their symbol is on the mythos card, otherwise they remain either in the sky or in a board location. If there were 3 monsters in the sky, then some may have have different symbols so some all or none would swoop down depending on the mythos card symbol.

Quote:
6. How many Allie, common item, skill, spell, and unique cards are each character allowed to have at once? can i have like 5 different weapons in my inventory, but only use up to 2 hands worth of cards in battle? can i use a physical weapon and a magical weapon for the same battle roll? Also what is the money symbol on the bottom right of some of the cards? do you have to pay to use them? can you sell them back to the pile of cards?

You can hold as many cards as you like, but may be limted in the number you can use at the same time. The money is the cost you pay when you are able to buy the card. You can't generally sell cards unless specifically allowed to by some game effect.

Quote:
7. Also i feel like we barley got to pick up any common cards, unique, or spell cards. Are we supposed to be drawing them at the beginning of our upkeep?

You only draw cards when specifically told to.

Quote:
8. Is there a limit to the amount of monsters aloud on one street square (if still below the monster limit)?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
pmurphy0618 wrote:

Welcome to the Geek and this great game. There are a lot of tricky situations that cause a few rule questions so feel free to ask and we'll do what we can to help!

Quote:

In most situations, following the phases and the order of steps in those phases will answer your question.

Open gate and spawn monster is the first step. Move monster is the third step. So all monsters on the board, including the one just placed, get moved per their own movement rules. Step 4 is resolving the event. Sometimes these place monsters as well. Step 4 monsters don't move this turn because the movement step has already passed.

Quote:

Again, follow the phases. Movement and combat is Phase 2. Getting drawn through a gate is Phase 3. So you must resolve the monster in Phase 2. If you survive, then go through the gate is Phase 3.

Ont he way back, you would move in Phase 2 and should encounter the monster as closing the gate is again Phase 3. However, the rules allow you this one chance to ignore the monster so you have a shot at the gate before dealing with the monster. But this is optional so you may take on the monster in Phase 2 and then try to close in Phase 3.

Quote:

Not sure what the Aliens doom track is. If a surge, no new gate is placed. Instead every gate is getting a monster. If there are more players/investigators than gate, you place as many monsters as investigators so some gates may get more.

What you need to watch for is your monster limit. If you go over, those monsters get placed in the outskirts instead of on the board. If the Outskirts exceed its limit, then it gets emptied and the Terror Track goes up.

Ah, you mean the Ancient One's Doom track. No, that only goes up if an actual gate is placed. So a surge does not affect them (unless specifically mentioned in some game effect).

Quote:

Monsters stay in the outskirts until the exceed the limit. At that point, they are returned to the monster cup to be drawn again. They don't go back to the board unless some game effect specifically says they do.

Quote:

Monsters only move when their symbol comes up (again, unless something else specifically says they do). So a flier is only going to move when his symbol is up (the expansions change this slightly with gate bursts but don't worry about that now).

Fliers don't move if they are with an investigator already. If they are in an empty space and their is an investigator int eh space next to them, they move there. If there are no investigators near them, they go to the sky. Once in the sky, they only move out if there is an investigator in the street. In all these situations, they only move if their symbol comes up.

So if an investigator has ended his turn in a street, and the flier's symbol comes up, then it will move. If multiple fliers have their symbol come up, they will all fly to that poor investigator.

Quote:

No limit (unless something specifically says it). So you can have as many weapons as you want. You can only use 2-hands worth in any given battle. You can mix and match physical and magical.

The $ amount is the price tag to buy them if you get them from a store. You cannot sell back (unless something specifically tells you to).

Quote:

You get to draw some at the beginning of the game. The only way to get more is through encounters or if you go shopping. It sounds like you are playing with only 2 investigators. With that few, you are too focused on trying to survive that you really don't have time to explore the game. Trying playing with 2 investigators each in 2 player games as that brings your total to 4 and that is the sweet spot for this game. With more helping hands, you can make some side trips into the shops to buy more stuff without it going downhill too fast.

Quote:

No limit but the city limits. However, the different movement symbols and the black and white paths should be helping this break up on its own.

Quote:
Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick murphy
United States
Franklin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankyou very much for the help and quick responses. These answers really helped clarify our questions from last night. My girlfriend and i are the only people we know that are into these games so we couldnt call anyone and get some pointers, lol. I think next game should be a blast now, not that the last one wasnt fun, i just felt like i was cheating not knowing the rules 100% and kinda winging it. Im sure ill be posting a long list of questions for Fury of Dracula next haha. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.