BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Battlestars Galactica - Never saw the series rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

It might sound to be a strange and stupid question but I never watched the TV series. I seen the movie (at least 1 if there is a lot?)

So the theme doesn't interest me at all, except maybe it's in the space? But i'm still curious about it since this game is raked so high and been suggested many time.

So the question is does anybody was in the same situation then me and really liked this game and would recommend to buy it?

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Petersen
United States
Kearney
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am close to being in the same boat. I did watch the series as a kid quite a bit, but never saw the new series and really don't remember much other than the basic plot.

I have played it once and observed a 2nd game. If you like cooperative games, I think it has appeal. Though not perfect, it does hold true to the theme and the traitor( or traitors) element makes for some tension.
Like most themed games, a familiarity with the theme may make it more enjoyable, but it was not necessary.

I personally did not like the game, but I enjoyed it as much or maybe more than any other co-op game I've tried (Pandemic is OK--hate Shadows over Camelot--despise Betrayal and Arkham). Most everyone who I know who do enjoy co-ops think it is great, but I think they were all fans of the series as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaseyP wrote:
I personally did not like the game, but I enjoyed it as much or maybe more than any other co-op game I've tried (Pandemic is OK--hate Shadows over Camelot--despise Betrayal and Arkham). Most everyone who I know who do enjoy co-ops think it is great, but I think they were all fans of the series as well.
No opinion of ghost stories or space alert?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played BSG the first couple of times having never seen the remake (I had seen the original series). It's a fun game, though a little long sometimes. On a related note, I did seek out the series after playing the game, and I thought it was excellent. Check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauder
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpotato wrote:

So the question is does anybody was in the same situation then me and really liked this game and would recommend to by it?

Never watched BSG the show, but the game is amazing. Best co-op with a traitor (cylon) game ever IMO. I highly recommend the expansions for it too, though the base game is solid. I think best is playing with the Pegasus ship, treachery cards, and the pursuit track.

The only real downside can be early on where there may not be any cylons, or anything to do. So you don't need to be a fan of the series to enjoy the game, but someday I want to watch it.. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several of my friends who had never seen BSG really liked the game anyways. Most of them have seen the new series since, and our consensus now is that having seen the series adds to the context, but is in NO way needed to enjoy the game.

The game IS brilliant though, do get it. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I can't agree that the game is "brilliant" or "amazing", but it is certainly decent enough especially as a coop affair. It dodges the somewhat stodgy "let's solve a predetermined math problem" that games like Ghost Stories and Pandemic exhibit (and I enjoy) which is noteworthy.

It's got the typical FFG aesthetic of using nerd culture to attempt to dodge the need for polished rules and design, though. Bits of the game less make sense mechanically than they do thematically (see: politics) and others are deliberately half-finished so they can sell you a whole game in additional expansions. If neither annoy you, you will likely be satisfied.

Oh, in addition it's got the FFG "until someone masters the rules it's gonna take twice as long as it needs to" aesthetic so invest some printer ink in player aids, and play a half dozen rounds solo to get the patter down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original 1979-1980 series and the recent remake are two different animals, the remake was vey well done and I'd recommend you take the time to watch it but be aware that it spanned several seasons not just the one year as the original did.

The game is a lot of fun but if you aren't familiar with the remake's plot and characters you'll miss a lot of the nuance and why things work the way they do. It is a lot of fun and I always look forward to getting a chance to play. I only have the original game, none of the expansions (there are two so far). It is billed as a three player game but I believe there are solo and 2 player rules posted on FFG's site.

If you can I'd recommend you rent the first season, to include the original 2 hour movie, watch it and then make up your mind about the game. If you're not hooked on the show then I wouldn't bother with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Altman
United States
O Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
Fantastic series and fantastic game, I recommend both. I have a few friends that never saw the series but everyone I have played with really enjoyed the game.

I do agree that you should definitely rent the first season, or heck it is even on Netflix instant streaming if you have a HTPC hooked up that would be the way to go, you can get a free month with an offer code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen the series, be it the new one or the old one. The only part I know is the movie that introduced the new series. I watched (and liked) it, but that's it. The same is true for my girlfriend. And both of us love the boardgame.

So what does matter to enjoy Battlestar Galactica?

1) It matters if you enjoy science-fiction or not. The game is settled firmly in its universe, but you could easily transfer it to any given similar sci-fi-setting (apart from the artwork, of course). But it will stay science-fiction and under no circumstances will morph into building a medieval cathedral.

2) It also matters if you enjoy some discussion going on with blaming everybody but yourself to be the evil guy. One can play without this element (hard, but it actually can be done, I've witnessed it), but the game will seriously suffer from the lack of interaction.

3) It matters if you like coop-games. If you write off coop-games as stupid mechanic that once overcome won't interest you ever again Battlestar Galactica will have to fight an uphill struggle.

4) It matters if you value atmosphere and the story-telling aspect of a game above every single available action being perfectly balanced and equally viable for your optimized turn. Because situations will arise where you won't be able to go for the optimum.

5) It matters if you like some chrome on your games like unnecessary plastic miniatures and stuff or if you prefer placing and removing little wooden cubes.

However, what absolutely does not matter (based on my experience) is if you've seen the tv series or not.

If all or most of the above is true, then go and get it. Then gather some friends and guide the Galactica to safety.

Edit:
I played the game a few times by now and enjoy it even more. But the unthinkable happened and I still haven't seen any part of the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all suggestion, its a keeper

Will let you know in few weeks how did I liked it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Altman
United States
O Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
It also matters if you like games with hidden traitors, as that is a huge part of the experience that makes the game so great.

Just don't get pissed when it turns out the Admiral is a cylon and you almost had no chance of winning.

Also, I do recommend the player aids etc. in the files section here on BGG, they are great help with teaching the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexei Gartinski
Jordan
Amman
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only learned about the TV series through the boardgame But then I watched the show before I played the game. For me the game was OK, but really nothing special.

The show, however, is excellent, and I cannot recommend it more! Nothing is uni-dimensional, all characters develop and change during the series and nobody is "black and white"... Most importantly, the series clearly contains fairly deep messages at various levels. In short, you can skip the game, but the TV show is a must!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Petersen
United States
Kearney
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
/q]No opinion of ghost stories or space alert?[/q]

Have never had the chance to play Ghost Stories. Played Space Alert once, but only with two players. Liked the idea and I will try it again, but it hasn't seem to get much buzz, at least in my circle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Adamson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've seen the show, but I've played with several people who haven't who also really enjoyed the game.

The game is not elegant, but it is very fun. It gives a good coop experience of us against the game, and also the initially hidden traitors.

I would say that just because you don't like other coop or hidden traitor games doesn't mean you wouldn't like it. The cylon players make it not fully coop. Also, I've played Shadows over Camelot and really dislike that game, mostly because it's boring, long, and easy. In comparison, BSG, while not short, is much more interesting and hard, making for a better experience.

I will say that if you don't shuffle enough (particularly when you first get the game, all the cylon ships attack cards are together at the bottom), you can end up in weird parts in the middle of the game where it feels like nothing is happening. Once you realize all the resources available (scouting, drawing more cards, doing politics stuff), this goes away somewhat. However, stacking the deck a bit on the first play may be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched every single episode from the start to the finish as they were airing. Obviously I liked the series, especially seasons 1 and 2.

I find the game to be pretty tedious. I love traitor/deduction games, but generally dislike co-ops, and to me the amount of traitor is too little to offset the boring aspects of the co-op part of the game. I will 99 times out of 100 choose The Resistance instead, but if I'm looking for a 3-hour long thematic co-op, obviously BSG is absolutely one of the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Rallye72 wrote:
It is billed as a three player game but I believe there are solo and 2 player rules posted on FFG's site.
Er, I can't imagine this game is any good with any number other than five. Five seems to be where the game really shines and I'm 100% sure any 2p variant would be missing the real point of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.