Subject: Random thoughts. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is anybody using any optional rules? I have decided to try using all of them to see if they help.

Which hero do you pick as your 1st hero? I have been trying the mayor because of his speech and +1 forage in town. During the 1st move, I give ALL the units stacked in the town square a free action (assuming I am playing this correctly). His speech would not be as effective if there were only 1 other player unit there. Plus he gets the +1 to any forage attempt in town. I am now using the optional rule- if a forager gets 7, I get 2 supply/ammo.

I am at that 'sweet spot' where I rarely have to consult the rule book any more. So each turn flows smoothly. This means I can get my butt kicked in half the time it used to take. (I got The Lost Cause game yesterday, but it is waiting in my closet).

Has anybody EVER filled in the research track? It seems to me there are way too few action points to ever accomplish this. I would be overwhelmed long before that. About the most I try for, is enough to heal people with a 5 or 6 die roll.

The best I have done is to get almost 2/3 way through the event cards. Then my doc got killed off by two different fate cards, and I had no way to patch anybody up. I ran out of warm bodies to defend all approaches to town. argh...

Is there any way to fully heal a civilian unit without having a refugee unit reach town?

Well.. look at all this typing.. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Skipper, I use the optional rule that when I pick the National Guard Arrives card, I've won! Then I just play it out for the narrative fun of it. I suggest that all first-time players use the option to halve the number of Brains and Special cards until they get the hang of things.

I also prefer to choose Hernandez because he gives alot of subtle benefits and serves as the "glue" for the defense.

I discovered the antidote once or twice in all my playings. The way to do it is to commit to that goal from the get-go. Recruit Prof. Agee at the beginning and then dedicate at least one Research roll per turn - regardless of what's going on around you. Now that advice can only apply for so long because things can get messy fast and will require every action you have, but if you truly try to make that roll at every opportunity, you should discover the antidote. Getting Agee is a must - her two rolls are invaluable to that end.

There is no other way to fully heal a Civilian unit. But we may have an event card in the expansion that allows it.

As I've said before, this is admittedly a really tough game. But if it was easy to beat, the replay value wouldn't be there. When you boil it all down, it's about card management. If you've ever played Combat Commander, plenty of players complain about the randomness of the card hand and how you can't win with bad cards. But the point is you CAN win - you have to know how to survive the string of bad cards because the good cards are coming. And when the good cards come up - seize on the them with gusto! Kind of like poker as well.

Thanks for playing and I hope you continue to enjoy the game. Hermann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Hermann. This is my first card based game, outside of you know.. "cards". I like the concept and the idea of seeding cards in areas of the deck.

I have a question regarding town people/refugees, it is close to the question in "Need some clarification please" thread. I think I played it correctly. Some Zeds invaded a town, the civilian defenders went down swinging. They got wiped out but inflicted enough losses on the Zeds that they retreated back outside of town. The next turn they advanced again. There were no civilian defenders, so I played it that the towns people became refugees and bugged-out (and did not get eaten). I think that is correct, huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right - when the Zeds enter the now undefended town, it becomes Zed-controlled and the villagers become refugees at that point. Have fun! Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hah! Guess what? I have another question.

This concerns the fate card R "Infected Vermin" and may apply to other fate cards as well. You need to spend 3 actions to get rid of it's effect.

Question: Can action points be carried forward to the next turn or are any unused points lost? I can go several turns with fewer than 3 action points available.

Later that same evening.. Oh good, you haven't answered yet. I have another question. This concerns Event Card 9 "A Hero Arrives". Is this hero selected randomly or can we pick it?

Thanks
Skip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Skipper!
Unused Action Points are lost, so use them all. Though that would make an interesting pro-player optional rule, I suppose. The Infected Vermin is annoying, isn't it?
All "Hero Arrives" cards are your choice of Hero. Picking the right Hero at the right time is part of the strategy of the game.
Thanks! Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Hermann. Glad to hear about the hero selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I probably should compile a list of questions, huh?

This is the "Grim Determination at Last Stand" card.

"Play during the Zeds Phase to inflict one additional (+1) hit on the attacking Zeds unit and force it to retreat and your unit remains (regardless of actual result)."

I have had two occasions to play this card, both times the defending unit actually got wiped out. I am taking the "your unit remains (regardless of actual result)" literally, and keep the lost unit alive but with only 1 hit point left. I have a feeling I am pushing it with this interpretation, am I? cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Nice try, Skipper!
The card just means that the Zeds take an extra hit and retreat, even if the result normally would mean they would win. In your case, the Zeds would retreat and take an extra hit but your unit would still be wiped out. A gallant stand by your unit indeed! Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OK, thanks Hermann.

If it is any consolation, I lost anyway. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.