Popular Tags: [View All]
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here it goes our first try at AFAoS; here included some noobies errors/bad interpretations of the rules and symbols that can help YOU guys avoid them.
Anyway, here we go, me and my buddy/archrival Pisco ( we play lots of 1vs1 card driven games: Maneouvre, Twilight Struggle, 1960... u name it, we played it! ) started playing our first match, me as the British and him as the French.
I realized that for our first the best ans safest thing was trying to focus on expanding/defending, so after getting a few more money merchanting I grabbed a bateaux because it seemed to me that with only one in the deck a second one could be useful, being all inland connections via river.
I tried to settle the Albany chokepoint asap to fortify it and the "money" spaces along the East coast.
In the meantime I was harassed by the French Piracy but not by raids/sieges; the French settled the lake district and bought Home support along with indians, trading pelts like mad.
I decided to buy Home Support and Governor in order to free my deck of the now (?) useless bateaux ( Albany card gave me one more ) and the "weak" location cards, focusing on strenghtening the Albany chokepoint, getting moar money and settling like mad.
A couple of french and english sieges around Albany were unsuccesfull, and I bought the rangers card to defend against french raids ( along with the fortification card ) and try the occasional hit later on.
Then action moved to Nova Scotia; I settled Halifax, that survived raids and siege before becoming fortificated itself.
The French succesfully sieged Pemaquid ( already a city, dang! ) and I got two cubes by raiding, and then I rUshed for victory by upgrading all available settlements into cities.
Final score was only a SINGLE point in my advantage, and French win ties! Wow! That was tense and fun!

Anyway, here below our mistakes:
-the Louisbourg "piracy" card counts as a ship itself
-you CANNOT upgrade settlements if the location doesn't give VP! I think this can be overlooked and I placed the very last city where I couldn't, too bad.

Strategy noob friendly tips:
-my first Bateaux grab was a quite weak and unefficient move
-the French didn't buy ( it is free btw ) the versatile Couriers de Bois that seems a pretty good card to me
-placing "useless" cards in the reserve can be a good move to both thin your deck and grab them when needed ( like militia/military leader )

Anyway, a very enjoyable game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
surmik
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nicktaruffi wrote:

-you CANNOT upgrade settlements if the location doesn't give VP! I think this can be overlooked and I placed the very last city where I couldn't, too bad.

Even if it would be legal, placing cities in non-VP locations just makes no sense because you will not benefit from doubled VP's and it's easier to loose that city marker as mostly those locations are somewhere between both sides eligible for raids

Anyway, thanks for report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
surmik wrote:
nicktaruffi wrote:

Even if it would be legal, placing cities in non-VP locations just makes no sense because you will not benefit from doubled VP's and it's easier to loose that city marker as mostly those locations are somewhere between both sides eligible for raids

Anyway, thanks for report!

Yeah, it was the very LAST city token and I did that to end the game!
I didn't count all the VP anyway, I thought I was winning by a good margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
surmik wrote:

If it were allowed, it would occasionally be useful to use up your last city. But it's not, so it's not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
◄ əpıʌɐp ►
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having witnessed such a wonderful first play between you and your archenemy made me laugh to tears!

That was not due to the (lots) of bad moves and bad card drafting: the game has a sheer learning curve, and I bet everyone's first play was dominated by tentatives and bad guesses...

What was so enjoyable was the usual load of trashtalk and name-calling, followed by the post victory dance! shake

Next time I will film your game and make and highlights video that will be posted on BGG in response to your report...

Glad you enjoyed the game!

P.S.: sorry for not having watched your entire game, I'd have caught the mistake about the town upgrade!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks my Rulemaster!
Yes your presence alone would have avoided such an unfortunate mistake.
Btw, I think we made ANOTHER mistake ( but I'm not sure if we actually did it ): if you play Home Support and you do not have enough cards, you CANNOT reshuffle Home Support again.
I think this never happened but I must be well aware next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
◄ əpıʌɐp ►
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nicktaruffi wrote:
if you play Home Support and you do not have enough cards, you CANNOT reshuffle Home Support again.
I think this never happened but I must be well aware next time!

Yep, that's correct: you must fully resolve ancestral recall's effect, the put it on the graveyard!
I pointed that out when explaining the rules, and of course Pisco did understand while you were thinking about something else... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.