Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried yesterday to play LOTR confrontation with dice, against a new and an experienced player. We played with different randomness levels (2+ and 3+).

Some might say it is a blasphemy but all 3 of us agreed that it was simply awesome. The experienced player agreed that it was interesting of not being absolutely sure of who would be winning the battle.

I imagine that if you are playing with kids or people not open to heavy strategy games, you could raise the target number even more 4+ or 5+ to make the game more random and lighter.

------------------------------------------------------------

The rules are simple, when it's time to resolve which unit dies, you roll 1 Die for each point of strength. You keep all the dice equal or higher than the Target Number fixed at the beginning of the game. The number of dice kept is the new strength of the unit. The strongest unit wins, ties kills both units.

Target number suggestion

2+ For those how likes heavy strategy, almost like the original game.
3+ For those how wants a certain degree of randomness. This is my favorite up to now, be cause you can try to push your luck.
4+ For those who prefer a lighter game.

I find this variant simply brilliant because the rules does not enter in conflict with anything else in the game.

I hope some of you will have the courage to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoyed the experience then thats great, however for me and everyone I have ever played with, the game is about nudging the opponant to reveal their hand, bluff and feint. You don't attack unless you are prepared to lose, have an escape route or are sure you will win.

The dice as ever, turn a pure strategy game into a story, the narrative necessary to explain how the underdog won. As the turn of the die could result in a session of 1's vs 6's making any strategic planning irrelevant, I do believe the introduction of dice is a blasphemy for a game that is very cleverly balanced.

I would not need courage to add dice to this near perfectly structured little game, just like a chef wouldn't need courage to add custard to a roast dinner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember someone had a dice variant for Dungeon Twister a while back. It really took away from the chess-feel of the game, as well as the calculation of when to force a battle. It seems like this would be similar.

If you enjoy it, more power to you. This is one time that I think dice would ruin strategy, though, and lessen the fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike others, I think dice for this game are a great idea. I'd change the target number to 1+ though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I remember someone had a dice variant for Dungeon Twister a while back. It really took away from the chess-feel of the game

I think it was me!

One of the thing similar in LOTR and Dungeon twister is that you can end up in a situation where because I know which card you played, I can see that if I play a card with strength X, it's impossible for you to win. Or that it is simply impossible for me to win whatever the card played. So you ask me to take a decision where all answers are wrong.

In chess, there is no decision to make after the piece gets engaged in battle. Your opponent simply capture your piece and it ends there. I find this less annoying than the mechanics in Dungeon Twister and LOTR.

Quote:
Unlike others, I think dice for this game are a great idea. I'd change the target number to 1+ though.

If you do this, then you have 100% chance of success. So you just roll dice for fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Quote:
I remember someone had a dice variant for Dungeon Twister a while back. It really took away from the chess-feel of the game

I think it was me!

One of the thing similar in LOTR and Dungeon twister is that you can end up in a situation where because I know which card you played, I can see that if I play a card with strength X, it's impossible for you to win. Or that it is simply impossible for me to win whatever the card played. So you ask me to take a decision where all answers are wrong.

In chess, there is no decision to make after the piece gets engaged in battle. Your opponent simply capture your piece and it ends there. I find this less annoying than the mechanics in Dungeon Twister and LOTR.

This is more evident in DT than LotR, as you actually get your cards back in LotR. It creates a rhythm to the game of confident attacks moving to desperate attacks moving back to confident.

DT is different, but the wider range of characters, movement, and items actually mitigate this problem a lot. Used up your big attacks? Make a brute squad and go bully up on someone weak. Using up good attack cards does not put you in the situation where all the answers are wrong, it puts you in the situation where the right answers require more creative strategy.

Both games also rely on knowing when to lose early fights which you know you probably could win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.