Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
For budget reasons I'm planning on buying only 1 or 2 expansions per cycle. In the "Shadows of Mirkwood cycle, I know many of them have not come out yet.

My decision will come down to the quest experience. Looking for quests that are the most enjoyable and offer good replayability. If I'm correct, only the Journey to Rosgobel and the Hunt for Gollum are available. (At least that is what I read from the FFG website)

Any advice on which one offers a more enjoyable replayable quest?

Know this is very subjective but I'd be curious to here opinions.

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Conflict at the Carrock was also released.

I haven't tried them all yet, so I don't have a recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are actually three available at the moment :

Hunt for Gollum
Conflict at the Carrock
A Journey to Rhosgobel

In brief Gollum seems to be widely considered the weakest so far, so you could just go for Conflict and Journey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon K
Netherlands
Zaanstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont get any of the small ones. The effects on the cards make sense mostly in relation to cards you will find in the other small packs. Try and hold out a bit to see if they will announce a "big expansion" by the end of the year. That will probably cost double a small expansion, but should hold its own much better then the small expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
siempietiempie wrote:
Dont get any of the small ones. The effects on the cards make sense mostly in relation to cards you will find in the other small packs. Try and hold out a bit to see if they will announce a "big expansion" by the end of the year. That will probably cost double a small expansion, but should hold its own much better then the small expansions.

I like this advice. Another thing to consider is to save up and buy one cycle every year or two.

I think buying one from each cycle is the worst possibility because the cards in each cycle are designed to go together. E.g. you don't want the card that fetches eagles from your deck and none of the eagle allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb

Waiting for another big box is good advice. Thanks.

In the mean time, I'll continue to enjoy the base and hunt around for more unofficial fan quests. See there are already some out there.

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snailien
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bobm174 wrote:
For budget reasons I'm planning on buying only 1 or 2 expansions per cycle. In the "Shadows of Mirkwood cycle, I know many of them have not come out yet.

My decision will come down to the quest experience. Looking for quests that are the most enjoyable and offer good replayability. If I'm correct, only the Journey to Rosgobel and the Hunt for Gollum are available. (At least that is what I read from the FFG website)

Any advice on which one offers a more enjoyable replayable quest?

Know this is very subjective but I'd be curious to here opinions.

Bob

I've got to say I think A Hunt for Gollum is the most enjoyable one to play, at least solo. It's location heavy and isn't particularly difficult, but I've had the most fun with it.

Conflict at the Carrock is not a bad choice either and it's very much easier than it sounds despite having 4 trolls to deal with and another 2 Hill Trolls that could pop up. It might actually be the easiest scenario so far.

A Journey to Rhosgobel is different than the others in that it does not allow for time to setup your play position and then get moving at your own pace once you get a handle on the scenario.

Also, when print-on-demand scenarios finally get going, The Massing at Osgiliath is challenging for any number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
siempietiempie wrote:

I could be wrong, but find it extremely unlikely they will release a big box - they have not done this for any other of their LCG series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamehearted wrote:
siempietiempie wrote:

I could be wrong, but find it extremely unlikely they will release a big box - they have not done this for any other of their LCG series.

uhh, you mean like the deluxe expansions they have done for Game of Thrones (which has 8 of them), Warhammer: Invasion (3) or Call of Cthulhu (2)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Irwin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey there - be careful!

I haven't been able to get hold of Hunt for Gollum yet (the first pack) but I did pick up Conflict at the Carrock (the second pack) and we've been playing it. I knew in advance it was going to be a tougher quest than Hunt for Gollum, but it never occured to me there might be a problem with playing them "in the wrong order".

Here's a few things that kinda surprised me:

1) There's a treachery that can be overcome if you have a creature ally in play. There's no creature allies in the box set or in this expansion. Erm... there is a creature ally in Hunt for Gollum. Hard luck if you didn't buy Hunt for Gollum.

2) There's an objective/ally in the encounter deck - he's pretty key to winning the quest. To recruit him you'll need to spend 8 leadership resources. A lot, right?! Erm... except if you bought Hunt for Gollum then you'd have "The Song of Kings", and those leadership resources would come much more quickly. Hard luck if you didn't buy Hunt for Gollum.

3) It's a massive fight at the end (hooray!). You're facing off 4 Trolls with (at least) 4 attack each. If only you had an ally with 4 shield... oh wait - you guessed it! - there's such an ally in Hunt for Gollum. Those HfG eagles even have "sentinel" - they are the perfect ally for this quest just as "Song of Kings" is the perfect attachment for this quest.

4) The first stage of your quest is about all about getting as many allies into play as quickly as possible in preparation for the fight with the trolls at the end. Bet you wished you had some cards that let you search through your deck for allies, right? Once again you can have those cards - if you buy Hunt for Gollum first. In fact all the cards you want to defeat Conflict at the Carrock... were released in Hunt for Gollum.

It's definitely a cool thing that the quest gives you new situations to really exploit those cards you coughed up for in the previous expansion - but, you know... something doesn't quite smell right about this.

So anyway, watch out - the third pack will tell if this is going to be a pattern - where each new quest expects that you bought the previous expansion pack. It may well be that the final ones in the cycle will be unplayable without having first built up your card pool with some of the others.

Best,

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh ok - got that wrong then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd agree with the suggestions that you wait for a big box expansion, but if you needed something new to tide you over, I'd suggest Carrock be the one you get. I find its quest to be the most fun to play. Gollum is dull with all its locations, and Rhosgobel seems (from two plays, granted) to be too random. If you want more of a challenge, then the mention print-on-demand quest, Massing at Osgiliath, would seem to be the way to go (I've yet to play it).

I'd like to rebut some of my fellow Tony's comments:

Tony Irwin wrote:
1) There's a treachery that can be overcome if you have a creature ally in play. There's no creature allies in the box set or in this expansion. Erm... there is a creature ally in Hunt for Gollum. Hard luck if you didn't buy Hunt for Gollum.

I'd much rather use Eleanor or A Test of Will to cancel the Treachery than give up an ally.

Tony Irwin wrote:
2) There's an objective/ally in the encounter deck - he's pretty key to winning the quest. To recruit him you'll need to spend 8 leadership resources. A lot, right?! Erm... except if you bought Hunt for Gollum then you'd have "The Song of Kings", and those leadership resources would come much more quickly. Hard luck if you didn't buy Hunt for Gollum.

There's a location in the quest that lets you use all resources as Leadership, so you're not screwed if you don't play Leadership characters. Besides, it's easy enough to win without Grimbeorn. Just keep your threat low and fight them one at a time.

Tony Irwin wrote:
3) It's a massive fight at the end (hooray!). You're facing off 4 Trolls with (at least) 4 attack each. If only you had an ally with 4 shield... oh wait - you guessed it! - there's such an ally in Hunt for Gollum. Those HfG eagles even have "sentinel" - they are the perfect ally for this quest just as "Song of Kings" is the perfect attachment for this quest.

Dunedain Warning (+1 shield) is just as good, if not better, than the eagle for helping defend against the trolls, and it comes in Carrock.

Tony Irwin wrote:
4) The first stage of your quest is about all about getting as many allies into play as quickly as possible in preparation for the fight with the trolls at the end. Bet you wished you had some cards that let you search through your deck for allies, right? Once again you can have those cards - if you buy Hunt for Gollum first. In fact all the cards you want to defeat Conflict at the Carrock... were released in Hunt for Gollum.

I'll give you this one, though I'm not a big fan of The Eagles Are Coming or Mustering The Rohirrim. I'd rather just put another ally in their place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony Irwin wrote:
1) There's a treachery that can be overcome if you have a creature ally in play.
never had (or just didn't notice?) a creature ally in play. anyways, it's a marginal issue, especially because it cancels the effect only for the player who discards it.

Tony Irwin wrote:
3) It's a massive fight at the end (hooray!). You're facing off 4 Trolls with (at least) 4 attack each.
yeah, you put that at least in brackets, but in fact these trolls do have 6 attack during the first round and likely 5 attack for a while, which means the eagles from HfG (4 defense but only 1 hitpoint) aren't any better than any other ally to block them.

Tony Irwin wrote:
Bet you wished you had some cards that let you search through your deck for allies, right?
ummmm... no. these have been the first cards that we removed as worthless.

i'm not a big fan of the expansions (i played gollum once and carrock a couple of times but i didn't buy them), but i don't see the problems you mention. the only issue is, that they are building some spheres around a theme (like eagles or rohan characters) and you won't see that if you have just one expansion. but it doesn't matter alot in my oppinion. i'll never use the "search your top X cards for a card containing Y" cards anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy C
msg tools
Conflict at Carrock is vastly superior to the others for reasons others have already stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.