tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

So I did my first Math Trade at GenCon this year, 2011, and I of course got taken to the cleaner in a way - but on the other hand I got new games I may or may not play and that seems better then game I am not playing at all or the one I was playing I hated how it ended ( Infinite City ). So I blame BGG for part of this since every game sounds so cool when you read about it, but the actually game may sound great but may play kinda lame, or not be the game you where hoping for.

Giza is a very simple tile laying game where you get 4 tiles in your hand and on your turn you play one tile and draw another. All the tiles can be played on your board or the other guys board so you get a lot of bad tiles that you play on the other guy. After a bunch of plays it just does not seem like much of a game to me, but I have really only played it with 2 people so I am hoping it is better with 3 or more players.

photo thanks to

Nikki Lim
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb

So my friend Matt has played this with me and the other day we got in another game and we both agreed it would be a good game for non gamers but not much of a game for a serious gamer.

You are trying to finish 3 pyramids and maybe a Sphinx. There is treasure that can be thrown down and negative point tiles to throw on the other guys boards. There are also some scarab beetle tiles to slow the other guy down with. You have tiles that let you blow up stuff ( remove a tiles ) so you are either getting rid of bad tiles on your board or good tiles on the other players board.

So I lay a nice foundation to my first pyramid and Matt puts a plague on it right away ( a beetle tile ). I lay a bad tile on Matt, he blows it up. I put another lower base to start my next pyramid and Matt starts his first pyramid with a 5 base also. We go back and fourth and I get a bunch of blow up tiles in a row, he is throwing plagues around like he is a ancient pissed off god or something - which really just slows me down but does not really hurt me. I am getting to put some negative tiles on his pyramids that is hurting him.

The thing with the game is you get 2 or 3 tiles you can not really use anymore or all 4 and then it is just trade a tile in on your turn, so there are a lot of turns where you do nothing. So usually about 1/2 way through the game there is a lot of just going back and fourth trading tiles in hoping you get something you can use. which takes away from the game for me. The further in the game you get the less tiles you can use, so the trading in tiles is the main thing you can do in the 2nd half of the game or at least that is how it feels to me.

The good/bad part about the game is you could have a super short game if you get a lot of pyramid tops ( positive or negative points ) - so I can end someone else building by placing the top of a pyramid on one of his 3 building spots and if you don´t have any blow up tiles well then your kinda screwed. You can actually lay a pyramid top ( positive or negative ) and have that be the only tile on that particle spot ( yours or his ). So the game tempo really starts by what tiles are placed at the beginning of the game. A lot of games end way to soon and makes it feel like not much of a game, IMO. Again this is with only 2 players and I am hoping it will be different with more players.

I was close to finishing but I had closed out 2 of Matt´s pyramids and his other had low points on it when Matt placed a -5 Sphinx on his board, I knew he must have the +10 tile to place next and new that would really help him out but there was nothing I could do about it. I played a treasure card on my side and drew up a -1 pyramid cap which would let me end the game next turn and hurt Matt by -1 points. So the game ends and it turns out I won by 1 point.

I ended it knowing the game could go either way, but that far into the game I also knew there was not much I could do to change that so I took the chance that I would get the win, but sadly I do not feel like I played a better game then him, or I out smarted him, I felt like I got better tiles and he got crappy tiles.

I think like a lot of games this has some nice mechanics and I want to like it more then I do but as a 2 player game it is not something I will be asking for. On the other hand for your non-gamer friends it is a great game as you really won´t have much of an advantage over them even if you have you played it over 50 times - just not a lot of strategy all said and done I think. It is a very easy to learn game so again that is perfect for non-gamers, and it is not a long game so if they like it you will be playing again, and if they don´t you can move on to something else.

photo thanks to

Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb

These guys sure look like they are enjoying it, so like I said I have hopes this will be better with more people.

It is a fast game so you are not investing a lot of time into it, which is good, and for a light screw you game it is OK, but nothing to write home to mom about I would say.

Game On´´
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.