BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Would it be too much worker placement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I'm about to order a list of game. I just noticed I would have many worker placement and maybe it doesn't worth to buy all of them on the new list.

I own:

Stone Age ( played many time but it was not my favorite game, I played a 4 player game this w-e and it did got more love from me since that game)
Puerto Rico (only played once, so I can already give a review)

In my list:

Le Havre
Agricola
Dominant Species

I know theses 3 are all good and probably all a keeper. Do you think Dominant species will keep his high rakes over the years just like Le Havre and Agricola did?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi,

I've only played Dominant Species once, Agricola a couple of times and Le Havre many times - that said, they are very different games, more complex than stone Age certainly, and whilst each of them uses a worker placement type of mechanic, they are all different in terms of gameplay. If you like heavier euros, go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico isn't a worker placement, and only a part of Dominant Species is worker placement. All of the mentioned games play different enough that there is room in a collection for them all. Adding all of them at the same time, however, may make it tricky to really delve into any of them as deep as you should.

Also, take note that the designer of Agricola and Le Havre is releasing a new game at Essen (although it may not be immediately available depending on where you live): Ora et Labora. It is supposed to take a lot of things from Le Havre and a few things from Agricola, combine them with new mechanics and create an even better (?) game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre and Agricola are is as much (ie not) worker placement as Puerto Rico; you are simply choosing one action, and blocking it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Le Havre and Agricola are as much (ie not) worker placement as Puerto Rico; you are simply choosing one action, and blocking it.

Le Havre maybe, but Agricola is very much a worker placement in my opinion.

Puerto Rico, you aren't blocking anything. You pick an action, everyone takes that action, but you get a bonus. I don't see how this is a worker placement at all...

Le Havre only has one worker, and you aren't necessarily placing him every turn so I think it could be argued either way.

Agricola you have a team of workers that are being placed to take actions exclusive to you. You are blocking out other players from taking those actions. I don't see how it wouldn't be considered a worker placement...

Either way, it doesn't matter. I think there is room in Jonathan's collection for all of these games. But it may be hard to explore them all fully if he buys them all at the same time (I have this bad habit), and with Ora et Labora coming out, he may think about waiting on at least Le Havre...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well yeah, i was totally wrong with Puerto Rico.

Thanks to Mathue, to suggested me to wait for Ora et Labora. Now i have to decide if i wait or not LOL

Any idea when this game will be available? mmmm i guess its hard to tell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imho it would be more interesting to see how the new title is received before scrapping the others.

Personally I will go with dominant species first since it seem to offer lots of options on what to do.

The Agricola theme works better on me then Le Havre but I haven't played any of the games.

I can somehow see the benefit of "less board space" in le havre though.

Do you have other games to or do you focus on these kind of games for now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpotato wrote:
Well yeah, i was totally wrong with Puerto Rico.

Thanks to Mathue, to suggested me to wait for Ora et Labora. Now i have to decide if i wait or not LOL

Any idea when this game will be available? mmmm i guess its hard to tell

Where are you located? If you're in the US, it may be a little while until a US release. Others probably know better, but I think I read somewhere like....late Spring 2012? But, Boards n Bits or Fun Again Games (don't remember which) will often ship in games from Europe until that time. You'll pay a bit more, but it may be available shortly after Essen (so Novemeber-Decemberish). Someone else can probably give a better answer...

Here is the thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/693828/us-availability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.