Hide
14 Posts

Shadows over Camelot» Forums » Rules

Subject: Confusion over movement in camelot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ichigo kurasaki
msg tools
Hi, first post and quite new to board games. we have just purchased Shadows over Camelot and haven't really had a proper game yet as we are still unclear on a few things, mainly on how the movement works.

I understand that on a heroic phase you have 5 options which one includes moving to a new quest. This will ultimately end your turn. I'm quite sure I understand this bit but just to clarify:

If im on a quest already be it solo or group, if I move to a new quest, this will count as a go?, and same goes for if im in Camelot and move to a new quest this also constitutes as a move and will end your turn?.

Now what is unclear to us at the mo is a few things. It says in the rule book about how moving between the roundtable and the seige area will not actually be counted as a move and therefore can move freely without penalty and also if on the round table you may choose two white cards. So how would this work?

If im on the round table and its my turn, can I instantly pick up to cards, move to the seige area fight a catapult, then move back to the round table? and ove back can I pick cards again? I mean if theres no penalty why cant I do thjis indefintly until im bored of picking up cards or fighting catapults?

Also if im on a quest, if I move to camloet on my turn, will this count as a move to a new quest? if not, can I move to camelot, pick two cards and move on to a new quest in one move, using camelot as a kind of stop point on teh way to collect cards.

Or can I just simply move from a quest to the seige area for example and fight a seige cannon, then move to the round table collect to cards and then my go would be over?

Im sure as we sontinue to play well have more questions, but if you could help us clear this up that would be really great as it would at least allow us to kick start the game and enjoy it.

Thanks for any help you could offer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
First, welcome to BGG (and boardgaming!)

If you are on a quest, and move to a different quest, then that counts as your heroic action -- then you're done with heroic actions for this turn (unless you want to spend a life to do another action, that is). Camelot is a "quest" just like each other location, so moving to Camelot from somewhere else counts as your heroic action. An only exception to this is when a quest ends, and you're located at that quest -- you are automatically transported to Camelot for free. Some special cards also let you move "for free", but they're all very clear about that fact.

Also, you seem to be missing the fact that drawing cards IS your heroic action if you're in Camelot -- so if you do so, you've used up your one action for the turn. You can't move to Camelot AND draw cards, because that would be TWO heroic actions -- unless you spend a life point to take that extra action.

The round table and the siege area are slightly different though. The best way to think about it is just that they're ONE location, and you don't ever have to move between them. What you describe for a sequence of events is not quite right though. Here's a correct sequence of events:

1. Pick up cards in Camelot (this is your heroic action for the turn).
2. Fight a siege engine (requires spending a life point, because it's a second heroic action -- but you do NOT need to move).
3. You many NOT pick up more cards now, for two reasons: first, it would be another heroic action, and you've already done two -- you can only ever spend one life point for ONE more action, and then you're done. Second: you can never repeat a heroic action on the same turn (spending a life point requires you to do a DIFFERENT heroic action).

You are still in the same location for both -- in Camelot. You can move your figurine around if you want, but it won't matter.

I hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wong
United States
Cupertino
CA
flag msg tools
One of your 5 options is to perform the action at the "quest" you or at, which really means doing the location-specific action. So drawing cards at the round table counts as your move and your turn is over. Or fighting one seige engine outside of Camelot counts as your move and your turn is over.

Moving from one place to another also counts as your move and your turn is over. The only exception to this is that you can fight siege engines while you are at the castle.

Edit: Ninja'd by a much better answer....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcch wrote:
Hi, first post and quite new to board games. we have just purchased Shadows over Camelot and haven't really had a proper game yet as we are still unclear on a few things, mainly on how the movement works.

I understand that on a heroic phase you have 5 options which one includes moving to a new quest. This will ultimately end your turn. I'm quite sure I understand this bit but just to clarify:

If im on a quest already be it solo or group, if I move to a new quest, this will count as a go?, and same goes for if im in Camelot and move to a new quest this also constitutes as a move and will end your turn?.
Yes. Furthermore, if you leave a solo quest (Lancelot's Armor and the Black Knight quest... both only have a single spot for a single knight figure), all white cards on those quests are removed.

mcch wrote:
Now what is unclear to us at the mo is a few things. It says in the rule book about how moving between the roundtable and the seige area will not actually be counted as a move and therefore can move freely without penalty and also if on the round table you may choose two white cards. So how would this work?

When at Camelot, as a Heroic action, you may choose to draw 2 white cards (3 if you're.... Tristam IIRC), but ONLY if you haven't reached the restriction (which IIRC was) of 12 white cards in hand? Note that this is NOT a hand limit. You can have 13 cards leaving Camelot, go to a quest, have that group quest finish, and still get more white cards for being at a quest that was one.

Or, you can go fight Seige engines. The idea is that drawing white cards and going to the Seige engines aren't separated by a move action. That's unlike the other quests like the Holy Grail Quest where you can't just plop down Grail cards. You need to spend a Heroic action to move there first.

mcch wrote:
If im on the round table and its my turn, can I instantly pick up to cards, move to the seige area fight a catapult, then move back to the round table? and ove back can I pick cards again? I mean if theres no penalty why cant I do thjis indefintly until im bored of picking up cards or fighting catapults?
You only get 1 Heroic action per turn. As an option, you may sacrifice a life point to do another DIFFERENT, Heroic action. A correct example of how sacrificing a life point works includes.... You draw white cards at Camelot. Then you spend a life point (go from 4 to 3 life pts) to move to the Saxons quest. An incorrect example of sacrificing life pts to do another action would be to draw 2 white cards at Camelot, and then sacrificing a life point to draw 2 more white cards at Camelot. Can't do this. You already did that before. You can't draw 2 more white cards at Camelot.

In your example:
--You're currently at Camelot. You draw 2 white cards. That's fine
--That's your heoric action, you're done. However, as per the rules, you do have the option to sacrifice a life pt to do a DIFFERENT Heoric Action. That could be to fight a Seige Engine (as pointed out above, fighting seige engines and drawing cards are both part of the same "zone" in Camelot)
--NOW YOU'RE TRULY DONE. As per the rules, you can only do that sacrifice thing once, which you already did. Even if you were allowed to sacrifice life pts to get multiple extra Heoric Actions, there's still the rule that the Heroic action has to be something different. You already fought seige engines and drew white cards.

mcch wrote:
Also if im on a quest, if I move to camloet on my turn, will this count as a move to a new quest? if not, can I move to camelot, pick two cards and move on to a new quest in one move, using camelot as a kind of stop point on teh way to collect cards.

Yes, moving to Camelot from any other quest counts as a Heroic Action. Note that if a quest completes (doesn't matter if you won that quest or lost it), all knights immediately get a "free ride" back to Camelot. THere's also a special black card called Guinevere that forces all knights to return to Camelot.

Since the answer to the firt part of this question was already "yes", that should be it. However, I do want to remind you that even if it weren't true, all of those things you mentioned takes a Heroic Action, and there's only so many things you can do per turn anyways.

mcch wrote:
Or can I just simply move from a quest to the seige area for example and fight a seige cannon, then move to the round table collect to cards and then my go would be over?
Your turn at best would be to...
Move to Camelot. Sacrifice a life point to do a different Heroic action, in this case, fight seige engine. That's it.

For your next turn, you can draw 2 white cards as your heoric action (remember, fighting seige engines and drawing white cards are both in Camelot, not movement required).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ichigo kurasaki
msg tools
thanks for your prompt replys. Very helpful, I think I understand it now. So as I understand it works as follow:

1.Move to Camelot from another quest - heroic action complete, unless willing to sacrifice a life point to perform 1 different action, in this case either picking up 2 white cards or fighting a siege engine

2. If already in Camelot, I have 2 choices as a quest specific action, either fight a siege engine or pick 2 white cards or both if willing to sacrifice a life point again.

Also a quick question about the Guinevere card, would it mean all cards on solo missions must be removed also if the night on it is forcibly moved back to Camelot half way through a quest?

Thanks again guys hopefully im right this time and can actually have our first game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mcch wrote:
1.Move to Camelot from another quest - heroic action complete, unless willing to sacrifice a life point to perform 1 different action, in this case either picking up 2 white cards or fighting a siege engine

Yes, or you could also take a heroic action which is one of the options that doesn't depend on the quest -- such as discarding 3 identical cards to gain a life point, or playing a special white card.

mcch wrote:
Also a quick question about the Guinevere card, would it mean all cards on solo missions must be removed also if the night on it is forcibly moved back to Camelot half way through a quest?

Yes -- hurts, doesn't it?

Good luck, enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
You only get 1 Heroic action per turn. As an option, you may sacrifice a life point to do another DIFFERENT, Heroic action. A correct example of how sacrificing a life point works includes.... You draw white cards at Camelot. Then you spend a life point (go from 4 to 3 life pts) to move to the Saxons quest. An incorrect example of sacrificing life pts to do another action would be to draw 2 white cards at Camelot, and then sacrificing a life point to draw 2 more white cards at Camelot. Can't do this. You already did that before. You can't draw 2 more white cards at Camelot.

In your example:
--You're currently at Camelot. You draw 2 white cards. That's fine
--That's your heoric action, you're done. However, as per the rules, you do have the option to sacrifice a life pt to do a DIFFERENT Heoric Action. That could be to fight a Seige Engine (as pointed out above, fighting seige engines and drawing cards are both part of the same "zone" in Camelot)

Drawing 2 cards and fighting a siege engine are the same type of action (they are both "Perform the Quest's Heroic Action") and therefore can never both be done on the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Drawing 2 cards and fighting a siege engine are the same type of action (they are both "Perform the Quest's Heroic Action") and therefore can never both be done on the same turn.

I have a problem with this--Only Camelot allows you two different actions, so I think there should be an exception, because it is not the same action. Does DoW's FAQ say anything specific about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
blondlostime wrote:
Quote:

I have a problem with this--Only Camelot allows you two different actions, so I think there should be an exception, because it is not the same action. Does DoW's FAQ say anything specific about it?

DoW's FAQ says that the correct procedure is exactly as was described: when a knight performs multiple Heroic Actions on the same turn, they must be Heroic Actions of different types, not just different Heroic Actions of the same type. Feel free to check it yourself at http://www.daysofwonder.com/shadowsovercamelot/en/content/fa....

(This is where somebody pipes up with "You should play however you feel like playing. And fair enough, you can alter the rules if everyone at your table agrees to do so, but you asked after what DoW says.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: Having just looked at the link posted above, my reply is actually not adding any new information. In fact, I even used the same example ¬_¬. I'm leaving this here anyway, but eh.

It is possible to be on two different quests on the same turn in other ways, with an action for both, however. Most notably is the knight who moves for free from Camelot, who cannot pick up cards, freely move to e.g. the Grail quest, and throw down a Grail - because that's two quest actions. Similarly you can't play the last 5 on the Saxons, win, and use a second action to draw from Camelot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Moving isn't a Quest Specific action... but, could you lay the last Grail card and then use your free move to go to the Saxons and then sacrifice a life point to lay a card? (This makes Tristan a very good night)

Also, while we're on the topic of movement, if you are on a quest, but you can't do the quest specific action (e.g. you ran out of cards), does that make it that you must either move or heal or do some other action in order to stay there?

EDIT: I just read the link above and found that you cannot pass your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blondlostime wrote:
Moving isn't a Quest Specific action... but, could you lay the last Grail card and then use your free move to go to the Saxons and then sacrifice a life point to lay a card? (This makes Tristan a very good night)

Playing a card on the Grail Quest and playing a card on the Saxons are both "Quest-specific Heroic Actions". You may never perform the same heroic action twice in the same turn and the "Quest-specific Heroic Action" is the same action regardless of the location it was performed.

Quote:
Also, while we're on the topic of movement, if you are on a quest, but you can't do the quest specific action (e.g. you ran out of cards), does that make it that you must either move or heal or do some other action in order to stay there?

You MUST perform a heroic action on your turn so if you can't do anything other than move, you MUST move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuitz Yuitz
msg tools
Hugin wrote:
You MUST perform a heroic action on your turn so if you can't do anything other than move, you MUST move.

I understand I must take one Action in this phase, but:

I'm on a quest, I cannot make an Accusation (game with no Traitor), cannot heal myself (don't have 3 identical cards) but I have ONE SPECIAL WHITE CARD but I'd rather move to another location instead of playing that card (I feel I'd find a better moment in the game to play this card). Is it possible? (or am I still being forced to play that Special White?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yuitz wrote:
I understand I must take one Action in this phase, but:

I'm on a quest, I cannot make an Accusation (game with no Traitor), cannot heal myself (don't have 3 identical cards) but I have ONE SPECIAL WHITE CARD but I'd rather move to another location instead of playing that card (I feel I'd find a better moment in the game to play this card). Is it possible? (or am I still being forced to play that Special White?)

You MUST perform a heroic action, so the question is, which one are you going to choose to perform? If you want to move as your heroic action, then move. The only time you are forced to do a particular heroic action is when you are only capable of doing that one action (that generally being a move action).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.