Daniel C. Martinez
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I recently bought the game and we are in doubt:

Player A decides to yeld to torture (as he has no money). He then decides to confess and accuse Player B.

Player B shows features he may have and then? Does he suffer full penalties from torture? Can he confess too? (in order not to suffer full penaltues from torture) Does he gets the money as well?

Thanks,

Daniel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For such a simple games, the ambiguity of this rulebook is somewhat amazing. Using a combination of logic and google translation of the original rulebook... this is my interpretation of yielding to torture.

If you yield to torture, you Always take money indicated on the torture card. You then usually have the option to confess. You must confess if the reduction in damage is necessary to survive. You can not confess if you will be eliminated irregardless of the reduction in damage. In other words, you can't commit suicide in the game nor are you allowed to hurt other players if the end-result is death/insanity for yourself.

If you don't confess, you take full damage (Health, Sanity, and Feature Cards).

If you do confess, you must take a confession card (Hurts you at end-game scoring) and you get to reduce 2 damage values (Health, Sanity, and/or Feature Cards Drawn/Taken). You may reduce the same value or different value. You then take the damage. If you take feature-card damage, you draw 2X the number in the yellow box and keep 1X the number, placing those features into your hand (simple mechanic to reduce the luck in the draw).

You may accuse another player of having a particular hidden feature. If the player has this feature, he must lay it down (negative VP at end of game) but does not show/lay other hidden features. This action seems to be a bit of a catch-up mechanic to punish those who have collected a lot of hidden features (Because revealed features penalize players more).

Next is clean up! Torture card is discarded. If no confession was made, the interrogator card is simply discarded. If you made a confession, the interrogator card is placed in the open where players can see all the symbols; This whole mechanic effects scoring. Thus, you want to pay the extra 2 gold to bribe the interrogator to discard cards that have similar symbols in front of you. And it may be advantageous to take on the full damage in order to discard the card.

dragos_br wrote:

Player A decides to yeld to torture (as he has no money). He then decides to confess and accuse Player B.

Player B shows features he may have and then? Does he suffer full penalties from torture? Can he confess too? (in order not to suffer full penaltues from torture) Does he gets the money as well?

No.

While the rulebook isn't clear, this doesn't make sense to me. Essentially, allowing such thing would allow a strong king-making element if the player guesses right. If successful, the action would actually be stronger than a normal turn, because you have no chance to bribe the interrogator. Furthermore, such a large element would have been mentioned in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with John Drake.

In addition, I read the rules as saying that, if you confess, you can accuse another player of having any feature, though it's probably better to pick one that's on an existing interrogator card because those for which nobody has confessed won't count against a player.

Why anyone would deliberately take a feature card when they confess, though, is beyond me, unless they absolutely had to do it in order to avoid dying or going insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.